• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Great Track Day

marty

Marty
My dealer in Ajax Ontario (Endras BMW :ca thank you James & Adam) had a track day at Mosport last Thursday.
What a great day having 2 racers:bow show us what we can really do with the bikes. If you haven't taken a track day, I urge you to do it.
There were 2 1200GT's, 1 1300 GT, 2 1000R's, 2 800 Sports, 1 1300S, 1 R1200S and a 250 Ninja.
Never a scary moment and I built up speed slowly (the instructors kept us in check at the beginning & show us the proper lines etc.) to the point where I had gone past the Metzler Elephant lines on the tires and scraped the pegs!
No mishaps took place and everyone had the time of their lives.:D
I have taken 20 of these courses since BMW introduced them here (the K100RT was good, but the 1200GT is unbelievable!) and have also continued with the FAST Racing School, various track day events (Ducati Club & GP Bikes) and recently the Lee Parks Total Control Program at the Americade Rally.
They have made the world of difference to my riding, my confidence and safety.
Try it ... you'll like it!
I'd love to hear comments from those who have tried their bikes on the track.
We have fantastic machines that are capable right out of the box for track, street and touring cross country.
My legs and hands were a little sore afterwards, but you still can't get the smile off my face. :D

I'll Second that!

Well, heck, sounds like a really grand time. My 1300S is less than a year old, and never been on the track, but come August 29, the River City Beemer's of Sacramento are hosting a Rider Skills Improvement day at Thunderhill Raceway in Northern CA. ( go to www.rcb.org). This will make probably my 15th track day total and I can't wait to go. This year I get to move up and help teach the "B" group after working with the C's for many years now. As has been noted in many posts here and elswhere, the closed course with everyone going the same direction, highly qualified instructors, common goals of improving street riding skills, and general comraderie of a track day (especially one focused on BMW riders) is a recipe for both a great and highly rewarding experience. Most participants find their skills really do improve while they are having the time of their life. Any track day is Highly recommended.

Track Days are the Best

You're right Jim it was a fantastic day as were all the other track days I've done.
I couldn't agree with you more, I learned more and am a safer rider after 1 track day than in all the years before.
They make sure you feel at home and comfortable with what they are teaching.
You will have an unbelievable time I'm sure on the 29th with the 1300.
Any track day is great, but I have found (IMOHO) that the BMW ones are more directed at skill improvement. That said ... I've had a blast at them all!
Have a great day on the 29th.

Trackday Evidence

I just got the pictures and as you can see, it was the best of days!:dance
Being chased by a 1000RR ... priceless!:thumb
Just don't know how you load more than 1 picture at a time?

July 2010  Trackday Mosport 21.jpg

I would never take my touring bike to the track :D

(note I leave the saddle bag mounts on)

beaver%2012x10.jpg

Saddle%20bag%20mts.jpg

The Evidence Is In!

Great shots and I think I can see cylinders heads being ground down.:dance
That's just to reduce weight I would think.:thumb You had it waaaay over! Nice riding.
That's why I love having a Beemer!
We have the trackdays to really put them through their paces!
Take the bags off and as Jackie Gleason would say ... and away we go!
Now how did you get more than 1 picture loaded in?
July 2010  Trackday Mosport 22.jpg

Now how did you get more than 1 picture loaded in?
View attachment 25174

I link the pictures from another source, rather than upload them. Smugmug, and picassa are some commercially available sites that let you do this, I believe

What is even more fun, is passing 20 something year olds on the latest GSXYZCBRKXRR . I usually get a couple wander by at lunch and ask about the bike, when I tell them it has 30% less Hp and 100 lbs more weight, than their bike they ask why it is so fast, I tell them it isn't, I just don't slow down for corners :D

How Sweet it is!

Pffog, I know the feeling as it's happened to me on a few occasions where they've asked me what I'm doing there.
I went to some Ducati, Open Track and Race School trackdays with my old 85 K100RT. While taking the bags off and taping the lights at Mosport around 1995, I was asked by a Ducati rider why I brought the Winnebago? Then he proceeded to advise me that his son and he had a 900cc trackbike and I'd better stay out of their way. I was pissed, but told them I had to start in the Novice Class, so they'd be safe as we wouldn't be in the same class.
Later in the day I did get to all the classes and when together I stuffed him in every corner and he would pass me on every straight! Poetic justic, I say!;) He apologized profusely right after our session and brought his son over to discuss riding.
They can't believe an old BMW Touring bike can be ridden so quickly, but like you say, it's all about the corners!:laugh Oh yeah I did have Progressive suspension front and rear along with steel-braided brake lines! I guess I forgot to mention that!
Last year at Shannonville, the 2 instructors (both BMW racers) were riding the H2's and could they ever go! Nice bike and you really do it justice! BTW that is one great photo of you with your knee down. I get close to putting one down, but haven't done it and really haven't tried to push it. Still working on hanging off more. This photo is about 18 years ago. Hey ... I'm riding a touring bike for crying out loud!! LOL :german
Thanks for the link on getting more pics in. Rubber side down!

Attachments

• DSC_2407.jpg
    DSC_2407.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 107
Finally had a chance to review the discs from our track day 8/29. Here I am in my new leathers (instead of old faded 'Stitch...), leading one of the 'B' groups around in the early part of the day still in track familiarization mode. Photogs left by noon, before I got to go 'play', but leading the 'B's was very rewarding, seeing the improvement in all the riders throughout the day, and of course, the big grins. Very positive comments from our target audience - BMW street riders looking to improve their skills and have fun doing it.

Attachments

• Thunderhill2010-0535 (2).jpg
    Thunderhill2010-0535 (2).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 72
Great Trackday!

Jim,
Nice pic. Wish the photogs were around when you were "playing"! Great bike to play with!
Excellent bikes and as Pffog mentions ... we have Luggage Racks to boot!
I've graduated from a "B" group rider and appreciate you guys and gals that instruct and help us to higher levels.
I learned more my 1st trackday than I had to that point and seen that 1st hand many times as I've done countless trackdays now.
Still working on improving everytime which makes me a better street rider by far.
I've used my Alpinstars suit 3 times at the track so far and am really impressed with it. Sure beats my old stuff!
BMW has been doing ART (Advanced Rider Training) in Ontario for over 20 years and I've done the majority of them.
What a great confidence builder when you have experienced teachers and racers showing the way.
BMW ya hooked me way back when with these track sessions.:german
Thanks again and post some "playing" shots! Pffog has ground down the heads on his little touring bike!:dance

Back