• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This never ends well......

Going under a moose isnt gonna work. Your bike may make it, but you won't.

The solution is to not hit them. Whether that means going around them, stopping before you get to them, or not riding at night when moose are freakin impossible to see, MISS them. You can't predict what they are going to do--they arent afraid of things, so they may not run away. . . but they generally move more slowly and purposefully than a deer or horse. And if you happen to be motorcycling through an area and start to see logging trucks carrying a large piece of I-beam the full width of the truck, welded about 3' out in front of the bumper, about 4' off the ground . .. slow down, you're in moose country.

BTW most of the time horses will spook BACK, not forwards. If you come upon a horse standing in the middle of the road (e.g. at night) and you can't stop in time, go in FRONT of them IF you have a choice. Horses generally take a step or two back when something surprises them, and dodging BEHIND a horse standing in the road is likely to get you killed.

A couple of friends and I were on our way to Yellowstone when a moose came down off the hill and ran across the road. I was riding second and far enough back that I didn't have to panic brake but the guy in front was smoking his tires slowing down but managed to avoid contact. I still remember thinking in the middle of the action " If he ducks he can go under."

Surely you JEST----bug breath!

I did a 2-year stint in Saudi Arabia for ARAMCO. Over there it was camels. Just like moose, they are high enough to come through your windshield and impossible to see at night.

Harry

Going under a moose isnt gonna work. Your bike may make it, but you won't.[snip] . .. slow down, you're in moose country.

BTW most of the time horses will spook BACK, not forwards. [snip].

Fun rider legend kind of idea to play with but you are right. Slowing down is the best advice.

As for horse v moose behavior I don't know. IIRC the advice given when I have backpacked in moose country we were warned they will stand their ground and charge. The suggestion was to back off and view from a distance while waiting to proceed with our hike. I have only encountered one on a bike in upstate NY. I stopped. We looked at each other. I was fascinated. The moose got bored and walked off. I started breathing again and road off.

Gee, nobody on this thread yet from Australia and their thoughts about kangaroos? Or in North America, bears?

My one serious thought on this subject is that you can ALMOST eliminate the possibility of collision with the larger creatures (with the exception of deer) if you only ride when there is full day light.

That is my choice. If you chose to ride from dusk to dawn, even with enhanced lighting, I believe you are greatly increasing your chances of a collision with a large animal. But of course it is your choice. We all get to chose our risks/rewards ratio.

My one serious thought on this subject is that you can ALMOST eliminate the possibility of collision with the larger creatures (with the exception of deer) if you only ride when there is full day light.

Yeah, deer are a wild card. The one I hit and the closest call otherwise have been mid-afternoon on a sunny day.

A better choice of animal crossing points by the highway departments would certainly help. Moving the signs/crossings to areas of greater sight distances would be a simple inexpensive matter. :whistle

Gee, nobody on this thread yet from Australia and their thoughts about kangaroos? Or in North America, bears?

That is my choice. If you chose to ride from dusk to dawn, even with enhanced lighting, I believe you are greatly increasing your chances of a collision with a large animal. But of course it is your choice. We all get to chose our risks/rewards ratio.

With the drought this summer, the deer were moving a lot during the day having a hard time getting good browse and having to travel a long way to water. You have to watch ALL THE TIME. Just better odds during the day.

Rod

A better choice of animal crossing points by the highway departments would certainly help. Moving the signs/crossings to areas of greater sight distances would be a simple inexpensive matter. :whistle

Yeah, move the signs! Then teach the wildlife to read!

You might think that "natural selection" would lead to fewer deer jumping out in front or into vehicles. Those that do usually don't get another chance to breed - and I've certainly seen a lot of deer along roads that didn't exhibit this suicidal (and homicidal) instinct.

Who knows how animals think. We've had cats for some 40 years now at the same place with a fairly busy road fronting our place. A couple have been killed by cars. Of the three currently in residence, two for some reason have never been seen crossing the road. The old tom cat does it several times a day - and I have watched him amble across the road. Think he has figured out cars and bikes.

Or maybe he is just a cat with the extra lives the dead ones used up. About 5 years ago he had such a bad head infection (from a fight) that we actually dug his grave. Decided to give him another day before I put him out of his misery with a .22. He started to heal, so I put away the gun. And he is still with us.

Fuggedaboutit. Lots of mid afternoon deer strikes in my corner of NA. May have something to do with blue tongue disease, CWD or other overpopulation diseases, but there is no time of day safe from deer (white tail or mulies).

You might think that "natural selection" would lead to fewer deer jumping out in front or into vehicles. Those that do usually don't get another chance to breed - and I've certainly seen a lot of deer along roads that didn't exhibit this suicidal (and homicidal) instinct.

Who knows how animals think. We've had cats for some 40 years now at the same place with a fairly busy road fronting our place. A couple have been killed by cars. Of the three currently in residence, two for some reason have never been seen crossing the road. The old tom cat does it several times a day - and I have watched him amble across the road. Think he has figured out cars and bikes.

Or maybe he is just a cat with the extra lives the dead ones used up. About 5 years ago he had such a bad head infection (from a fight) that we actually dug his grave. Decided to give him another day before I put him out of his misery with a .22. He started to heal, so I put away the gun. And he is still with us.

I have had deer turn around and run back into the woods. I have also seen deer look before crossing, and then wait for me to pass slowly.

My old tom cat, would look before crossing. lived outside for 18 years and made it to 21.5. He was smart. He was fighting another Tom cat once and when he had the upper hand, he ran that cat out in the road in front of a car. He stood there for several minutes, just looking at the carcass. I wonder what he thought. Then he turned and very slowly walked back to the house with his tail down. I thought it was kind of a sad walk, but who knows what goes on in a cats mind.

Rod

Well, not from OZ, but have ridden OZ, and every morning the main rural roads were littered with kangaroo carcasses from the night before. Evidence why "roo bars" covering the front of rural vehicles are a popular attachment. Was chatting with a truck driver with a massive roo bar covering the grill of his truck. I lamely asked if he has ever hit a kangaroo. :whistle Told me he "hates 'em" and that he has hit thousands. :eek

In Colorado bears are not hit often, but it does happen. A school bus nearby hit one, and the bus didn't crash, but it was quite the disturbing event to the school kids on board.

There are watch for moose signs in Colorado, and they typically warn being alert at night.

Back