• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So we just bought a 2009 R1200RT

B

BrianVivian

and I found this great site. So, without further ado...

Me: Brian
Wife: Debbie

I've been riding since I was 17 ( do I have to admit that?). Debbie and I have been riding together for 10 years. We started on a 1997 GoldWing, then sold that and bought a couple of Suzuki Bandits. That was fun for a while, but Debbie realized that she had more fun as a passenger. The solo bikes went away and became a 2002 GoldWing. Somewhere in there we sold that and decided that the offroad thing would be a good idea. That meant a 2006 KTM 950 Adventure had to be in the garage. It was a great bike, but two-up dual sporting was not all we thought it would be. A stop one day at Scottsdale BMW and the KTM became a 2009 R1200RT. We both agree that this is the one.

Welcome Brian, just picked up an 09RT myself last month and love it. Hope you and the wife enjoy the new ride.
Ride Safely, and Go Well...

Bill

:wave Welcome to the BMWMOA!

09' R1200RT must be the bike of the week. You're are the 3rd new member here with that bike in as many days.

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, let us know, and make yourself at home. Take a look at the "Best of the Forum" forum too, there are some great posts in there.

Hope to see you on the road sometime and once again, welcome! :wave

Welcome to you both.

Great pick of a bike for two up riding.

Waiting to see some pics of you, the bike and AZ twisting roads real soon. :wave

Welcome to you both.

Great pick of a bike for two up riding.

Waiting to see some pics of you, the bike and AZ twisting roads real soon. :wave

I posted a picture of the bike in the Hexhead forum. I'd post a picture of me, but hey, why make everyone ill ;-)

Glad to hear your bike evolution has brough you here!

Is your wife an associate member of the MOA? Either way she sounds like a keeper.

Welcome guys! I too, bought an '09 R1200RT just last week! Planning a short trip along Crowleys Ridge in Arkansas for my first touring adventure in a week or two.

Must be the season!

Welcome guys! I'm rather new to this forum, too. In fact, I purchased a R 1200 RT in late March...and what a great bike to ride. I previously owned a Harley Heritage Softail. After about 40,000 miles and some ear aches, I decided to make the switch and settled with the sport/touring Beemer; and "Wow," what it great bike it has been. I'm planning on making a cross country trip to California from Charleston, SC in late July. My wife will fly out and join me for the return trip, as well as a few friends, who will be shipping bikes out there to make the ride back home with me. With this bike, I can only see miles and miles ahead of enjoyment...powerful, smooth, and extremely fun to ride.:brow

Welcome guys! I'm rather new to this forum, too. In fact, I purchased a R 1200 RT in late March...and what a great bike to ride. I previously owned a Harley Heritage Softail. After about 40,000 miles and some ear aches, I decided to make the switch and settled with the sport/touring Beemer; and "Wow," what it great bike it has been. I'm planning on making a cross country trip to California from Charleston, SC in late July. My wife will fly out and join me for the return trip, as well as a few friends, who will be shipping bikes out there to make the ride back home with me. With this bike, I can only see miles and miles ahead of enjoyment...powerful, smooth, and extremely fun to ride.:brow

Hey Harold, welcome. If you haven't already, why don't you start a thread in this section to say Hi. It will give more folks a chance to meet you.

And again... Welcome.

I've been riding since I was 17 ( do I have to admit that?). Debbie and I have been riding together for 10 years. We started on a 1997 GoldWing, then sold that and bought a couple of Suzuki Bandits. That was fun for a while, but Debbie realized that she had more fun as a passenger. The solo bikes went away and became a 2002 GoldWing. Somewhere in there we sold that and decided that the offroad thing would be a good idea. That meant a 2006 KTM 950 Adventure had to be in the garage. It was a great bike, but two-up dual sporting was not all we thought it would be. A stop one day at Scottsdale BMW and the KTM became a 2009 R1200RT. We both agree that this is the one.

Brian - welcome - my wife went a different route - she got tired of looking at the back of my head so we got her first a small Suziki Savage and the she upgraded to a R1200ST, and so the wing sits.

Ride on!

Welcome -- I'm certain you're going to get as much information and entertainment from the BMWMOA as I have since I joined in November 2008 when we bought our '09 R1200RT. My wife and I just completed a two-up trip to GA/NC/TN from TX and we have no complaints -- it performed perfectly. Since November, we now have 12,500 miles -- a good part of that riding two-up -- and we couldn't be happier. You're going to enjoy the ride together. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

Last edited:
You're going to enjoy the ride together. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

We're off to Colorado this coming weekend for 4 days in the Durango area. We might even get brave and head towards Creede. Good thing the bike has heated seats. I hate to admit it, but we're trailering the bike to Vallecito and using the toy hauler as 'base camp'. I really, REALLY did not want to tie down the RT. Seems stable enough with an EZ chock and 4 ratcheting tie downs.

Have fun on the trip.

I have tied down my RT a couple times - couple of good locations are the frame loops by the rear foot pegs and up front on the lower triple clamp where the brake line seperates to the two calipers.

I put one strap around each tube and then to the hook point - very stable.

Back