• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mesh trousers?

For extreme heat (riding through California central valley in the middle of the summer ranges from 100-110 degrees), I wear Klim Dakar fully vented. They work extremely well but have no armor. When I'm in the San Francisco Bay area which is more temperate in the summer, I wear a slightly more fashionable pant, the Dainese D-Dry, which are vented very nicely up to about 80 degrees. Dainese also has the Drake Air which is even more vented, for summer. That's my next purchase. Both of those pants look nice enough to wear into a decent restaurant and not look like you've just come off Mount Everest base camp.

I live in Philly, so I had the opportunity to go to the RevZilla showroom and try on some stuff.

As I mentioned, I'm 5'10" 240#. NOTHING fit. Either the knee pads were vastly too low, or the pants were too tight. I tried on RevIt, Tourmaster, Olympia, FirstGear.

:banghead

I have an email into motoport. I guess that's basically my only option at this point?

SH

I live in Philly, so I had the opportunity to go to the RevZilla showroom and try on some stuff.

As I mentioned, I'm 5'10" 240#. NOTHING fit. Either the knee pads were vastly too low, or the pants were too tight. I tried on RevIt, Tourmaster, Olympia, FirstGear.

I have an email into motoport. I guess that's basically my only option at this point?

SH
RiderWarehouse does custom fits.. within reason. When I had mine made, I ended up talking to Andy Goldfine himself, and explained that if he looked at Danny Devito playing the Penguin in the Batman movie, he'd have a good idea of what was needed for me..

Fit perfectly.

SH

Can't go wrong with Motoport! I purchased a jacket for me and one for my wife, both made to our measurements. They both fit perfectly and are thus very comfortable.

SH

Or you could consider separate armor, such as the Bohn products, then look for just the pants or pants with cheap, removable armor. They might defeat the purpose of the pant a bit, but I prefer the baseball type shin/knee protectors to something in the pant. I know they will be in the right place if there is a getoff.

I'm riding this summer with the Revit Airwaves pants and mesh jacket. I wear tech wick lightweight underwear or my LD Comforts. They're quite breezy and comfortable and I hope they offer adequate protection and I hope I never have to find out.

Joe Rocket

just got some Jrocket mesh pants, first ride today. Also wear JR BigAir jacket. Great piece!

http://joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/237/459/Pants/Phoenix_3.0_Pant

Knee pads are a bit high even in the low postion, length is slightly long for the reg version (not-short version) but when on the bike pants draw upward anyway.

If you order at the high end of waist demention they might get tight over pants. I am 5.11/170 and bought the Large-Reg but could wear the Med-short after recieving them and putting em on. But Im trying to gain some weight!

I plan on wearing shorts when just joy riding/not work.

Consider the points made by FatBaxter in post #20: type of heat and type of fairing can make HUGE differences in what does or does not work.

I've only ridden in the "dry" heat of the west and most of it behind a modest RS fairing. When I tried riding in jeans on hot days, my legs got fried - by engine heat off my K bikes. (Think about what happens when you stand close to a campfire in jeans!)

My legs have been comfortable in the "low tech" combo of jockey underwear, light cotton blend trousers and leather pants from moderate temps up to about 100F.

When I bought my Rev'It Sand suit, I tried removing the rain liner from the pants, opening the vents, and wearing shorts over the underware. OK, but think I think less comfortable than with the long pants and rain liner in place. I'm guessing the air space between those three layers insulate my legs from both engine heat and really high ambient heat. Anyway, for me it is one less thing to think about.

We're all different. I can't remember ever really noticing hot legs (with the combo's mentioned) or for that matter hot hands (never had vented gloves) or hot feet.

Dealing with cold EVERYTHING is another matter which has been covered pretty well.

I also live in the Philadelphia area and ride with my BMW Airflow suit once the temperature gets above 80'. I'm not a fan of overpants (too bulky) for me.

Back