• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RevIt Alaska Gloves

I'm thinking of buying a pair of RevIt Alaska gloves. As the name implies, these will be my cold/wet weather gloves.

Anyone have any experience with this model or RevIt in general?
Quality, fit, etc.

Not with this model but most of my gear (Turbine and Scirocco jackets, Cayenne and Turbine pants plus some gloves) is RevIt- its good stuff. I actually get hot on my RT in Scirocco jacket with Gerbings underneath in 20 degree weather if I don't turn the heat down- only drawback is that its a very heavy jacket.

However!!! Glove fits are very variable model to model and very personal choices. I use 5 different pair regularly (BMW Air, BMW Winter, RevIt H2O Ultra no longer made, Held Steve, Gerbings G-3 electric).

I can't imagine wanting to buy gloves I've never tried on except as a direct replacement for a worn out pair. I always poke around in glove displays to see whats around and keep mental notes on what fits and would seem to work in various situations, though.

For really cold riding in GLOVES, rather than mitts, anything that blocks wind from your hands, especially the fingertips is a great addition. My RT has Barkbuster S-7s for this reason. They add about 10 degrees of low end range to any glove. Some prefer the big sleeves that fit over your hands and the bike handlebars (eg from Hippo Hands or Wunderlich). They work very well in the most extreme conditions but I find them a bit of a nuisnace so though I have them, rarely use them. However, at least one of my friends who is an all year bike commuter uses them all winter.

I think the Alaska may be too much glove for Western North Carolina and my wimpy riding habits of 40 degrees + (except the Florida rally next month). I think I'll go with the RevIt Kelvin H2O, a mid-weight winter glove with plenty of features.

For really cold riding in GLOVES, rather than mitts, anything that blocks wind from your hands, especially the fingertips is a great addition. My RT has Barkbuster S-7s for this reason. They add about 10 degrees of low end range to any glove. Some prefer the big sleeves that fit over your hands and the bike handlebars (eg from Hippo Hands or Wunderlich). They work very well in the most extreme conditions but I find them a bit of a nuisnace so though I have them, rarely use them. However, at least one of my friends who is an all year bike commuter uses them all winter.
That's true. I ride a 12GS, and the hand guards block off enough wind that I wear my Held Steves down to the high 20s for shorter rides, and mid 30s for any distance. That, and the Steve's palm's kangaroo leather is thin enough that my heated grips actually get too hot on the higher setting. Its gotten so that I only where my heavy winter gloves (Held Hawk Gore-Tex - no longer made) when its cold and wet.

Speaking of heated grips, IMHO they aren't as effective with heavy winter gloves. With thinner gloves they actually heat your palm, but with heavy gloves they heat the glove and it takes quite a while for you to sense the heated grips' impact. So, unless you're really cold, and you need the wet weather protection of goretex, then you might want to consider more "normal" gloves with heated grips and hand guards. BTW, I'm in the Dallas area, which I'd guess has similar winters to North Carolina.

As to REV'IT in general, I've worn a REV'IT Dragon jacket for a year now, and its the best three season jacket I've owned. The Dragon is REV'IT's more affordable alternative to the Cayenne Pro. Its a very fine product for a decent price (~$300).

Good luck, and let us know what you do!

Back