• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I 80 in PA

Nocanpickem

Planning route from Wisconsin to the rally. It looks like it may have to involve some time on I 80 in PA.
The last time I was on that road it was in awful shape with lots of truck traffic.

Wondering if that is still the case.

I just came thru PA on my way back from the RA Rally and there was a surprising amount of construction going on. Might be a good idea to check the PA DOT Webpage when planning your route.

Pete

For the life of me I really just don't remember much construction on I-80 last weekend when I too came back from the RA. Ay least nothing that backed up any traffic. The road is also much improved over what it was several years ago when there were bone jarring pot holes and frost heaves. I do remember lot's of state police though last weekend with speed traps every 25-50 miles and many cars pulled over. I do remember bad road conditions in eastern Ohio on I-80

Look for the Hermy's BMW billboard just a few miles west of Bloomsburg welcoming BMW riders to the national.

For the life of me I really just don't remember much construction on I-80 last weekend when I too came back from the RA. Ay least nothing that backed up any traffic. The road is also much improved over what it was several years ago when there were bone jarring pot holes and frost heaves. I do remember lot's of state police though last weekend with speed traps every 25-50 miles and many cars pulled over. I do remember bad road conditions in eastern Ohio on I-80

Sorry, I was referring to PA in general, not I-80. I was held up by at least a dozen construction zones as I passed thru the state, most of it south and east of Kane. I avoided the Interstates so have no information on them.

We came back from the RA Rally just got home friday. There were 3 construction zones in the between Ohio and exit 212A at I 180. These are small by midwest standards. We had to slow down but time loss was only a couple of minutes at most. Friday afternoon around 13:00 to 15:00.
I 80 is in very good shape compared to I 81. We turned and had more elevation changes on I 80 in Pa than all of route around the Great Lakes (Those were the flattest and staightest roads we've riden).

80 is a good piece of slap with very nice veiws and well placed rest stops. One State trooper at mile marker 80.

Use Exit 232 off I 80 to 42 south for the Bloomsburg rally. 5 hours from Youngstown Ohio, 8 hour from Toledo Ohio inclueding breaks.

Enjoy
Tony

I-80 is usually in good shape. Went through in the Spring and multiple times last season.

Remember, it's a toll road in Ohio but it's also been raised to 70mph. Lots of truck traffic though.

Take a look at Route 6. It crosses PA from Erie eastbound. Lots of little towns but some really great scenery. Sure beats dodging truck traffic and construction on I-80

Every summer they fix up sections of the road. None of the construction zones are that long. Maybe 5 - 15 mile single lane zones and when they do back up it is usually not too bad. If getting there quickly is important then use this road. If scenery and a relaxing drive are what you want then Route 6 might be a better choice. plenty of home cookin' and local characters (friendly) along the way too.

Kev

I always try to avoid the interstate unless I need to get around a town. To many fun secondary roads. Look at rt120, rt 555, rt 949, and rt 208. All run the same direction as I80. Just string together the two laners.

I hope you are you taking the Lake Express from Milwaukee to Muskegon.

The eastbound I-80 construction just west of Chicago cost us 45 minutes a couple of weeks ago. We were in a cage so the temperature was bearable. Felt sorry for the Hardley riders behind us.

And +1 for Hwy 6 in PA.

Back