• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Roadside Assistance worth it?

Poskashflo

I am planning in a cross country trek in March (50CC) and was wondering if having the BMW RA would be worthwhile. I know AAA also offers a bike option. What does everyone think?

Thanks,

Stu

If you get the AAA+ then your bike, your cars, and anything your riding in is covered. I have only had the BWM roadside assistance when I buy a new bike. I have never paid to extend it so I don't know what it costs but I bet its less money for the AAA+ with its better coverage.

I am planning in a cross country trek in March (50CC) and was wondering if having the BMW RA would be worthwhile. I know AAA also offers a bike option. What does everyone think?

Thanks,

Stu

The Roadside Assistance plan from BMW you have during the three year warranty is very good. Have you asked what it costs to extend it after your warranty is up?
Will your warranty run out on your 2010 K1300S this next spring?
What does March (50CC) mean?

If you get the AAA+ then your bike, your cars, and anything your riding in is covered. I have only had the BWM roadside assistance when I buy a new bike. I have never paid to extend it so I don't know what it costs but I bet its less money for the AAA+ with its better coverage.

You might check into the AMA Motow insurance which comes FREE with your AMA membership. It covers all your bikes and cars too. I got my bike hauled out of Death Valley into Vegas and avoided a $725.00 tow bill with AMA MoTow. Ahm a beleeva! And supporting the American Motorcyclist Association is a good thing too.
-Sirby

You might check into the AMA Motow insurance which comes FREE with your AMA membership. It covers all your bikes and cars too. I got my bike hauled out of Death Valley into Vegas and avoided a $725.00 tow bill with AMA MoTow. Ahm a beleeva! And supporting the American Motorcyclist Association is a good thing too.
-Sirby

That's a good deal. I had the free AMA Motow, but dropped it when I became a lifetime member and had to start paying for the Motow insurance. I never had to use it, but when I had Motow, they would only cover a 35 mile tow. Looking at the AMA website, they still show a 35 mile limit.
BTW, with AMA you become a lifetime member after 25 years and no longer have to pay a membership fee, but you loose the free towing insurance.

AMA Motow

That's a good deal. I had the free AMA Motow, but dropped it when I became a lifetime member and had to start paying for the Motow insurance. I never had to use it, but when I had Motow, they would only cover a 35 mile tow. Looking at the AMA website, they still show a 35 mile limit.
BTW, with AMA you become a lifetime member after 25 years and no longer have to pay a membership fee, but you loose the free towing insurance.

Yes, well my card said 35 miles on the back also, but apparently they will pay to tow you to the nearest motorcycle shop. They don't advertise it. For me, from Racetrack Valley Rd. in Death Valley,CA to the nearest bike shop it was Las Vegas,NV and they paid it. The actual carrier was GE Capital at the time and they gave the tow truck driver a temp. Credit card number over the phone to charge the whole $725 tow bill, $200 at a crack which he laboriously punched into his cell phone while I snoozed at 0400 a.m.. Finally he got all the money paid to him and he put my GS on the ground with it's torn rear tire in front of the Harley/BMW dealer (2003) and dropped me at the Palace Station, as youngsters on bicycles circled in the parking lot of the dealer oogling the big bike.
(part of a long story told at many campfires since).
It's still a good deal even if I have to pay. There are several similar plans out there.
-Sirby

Yes, well my card said 35 miles on the back also, but apparently they will pay to tow you to the nearest motorcycle shop. They don't advertise it. -Sirby

That's good to hear. When our bikes are out of warranty and we no longer have roadside assitance from BMW, I may pay for the Motow from AMA. I can't remember the Motow cost for Lifetime members, but think it's around $30.

Upgraded my AAA coverage to Premium RV - have this on the cars and my kids' cars, and they'll tow the bike (or car) up to 200 miles, plus the other benefits. If you have or like AAA coverage anyway, it's a good deal for the upgrade.

No!

Ridden almost to my one million'th mile on a bike now and my answer to assistance plans is no. Had them in my past and too many small print variables exist, as in how far they take you and what dealer and so on!!! The best aide I have found is self service and a UHaul truck, from about any town or not too far away. I have used them twice with no issues and have been very happy to have my own timeframe and rules, trucking my bike wherever I want and the cost is minimal, compared to my plans of yesteryear. In most cases a ripoff, imo. Not all cases...My UHaul solution is a good one. Randy

I had the BMW RA on my 2002 LT. The only time I used it was a disaster. I called on a Monday because my shift linkage had snapped. I think it was a $7.00 piece of pot metal. Anyway, they sent a couple of guys (dumb and dumber) in a pickup truck with a wire mesh Home Depot trailer to get my bike. I was fuming.

To make matters worse, they were 6 hours late. The weight of my LT bent and made the trailer mesh sag. Needless to say, we finally got loaded up and they towed me to the nearest BMW dealership which was in Greenville SC. By the time we got there, it was dark and about 8 pm. Of course it didn't matter since most if not all BMW dealerships are closed on Mondays. Left the bike overnight and had to get a rental car at the airport and take my wife back to Charlotte because she had to be at work the next morning. The tow costs me an extra $250.00 because the RA would only pay for a 35 mile tow.

After this was over, I contacted BMW and told them about my ordeal. They seemed rather indifferent and after making up some new curse words, they finally agreed to refund me $150.00. The carrier at that time was cross country who provided the roadside assistance. In my opinion,
THEY SUCK.

You might be better off saving your money and taking a copy of the MOA owners help book. Lots of owners ou there willing to help with tow, wrenching, place to stay, etc...

It costs me about $ 39./yr to add my motorcycle to my basic AMA membership. I figure that's cheap insurance in the event I need it.

There are several different plans out there so just do some research and find what fits your needs.

It costs me about $ 39./yr to add my motorcycle to my basic AMA membership. .

AMA Roadside Assistance Program Share
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This benefit is FREE when you sign up for auto-renewal! Coverage for all your vehicles in your household, including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and even trailers!

It costs me about $ 39./yr to add my motorcycle to my basic AMA membership. I figure that's cheap insurance in the event I need it.

There are several different plans out there so just do some research and find what fits your needs.

No one here has mentioned the MOA plan. Just a few more dollars on your membership each year. Covers up to three bikes.

Jack

I couldn't remember the proper word for it yesterday but that would be the "Annonymous Book". Lots of helpful folks willing and apparently able to lend a hand to a downed bike. Don't leave home without it...;)

Back