• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/10/07

Deming, New Mexico
The Veteran's Day Gathering

Harmony is all you see when you consider the big picture.
Harley, Beemer, Beemer, Yamaha, Yamaha disappears . . .

Voni
sMiling

Attachments

• DSCF4657.JPG
    DSCF4657.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 123
Deming, New Mexico
The Veteran's Day Gathering

Harmony is all you see when you consider the big picture.
Harley, Beemer, Beemer, Yamaha, Yamaha disappears.

Voni
sMiling

Now that looks like a postcard! Great composition. Love the placement of the green and red bikes, not to mention the harmonious blend of brands. Good eye Vonnie: (1) for seeing the photograph, and (2), for capturing it in an interesting and aesthetically pleasing (very symmetric) composition. Good exposure, too. :clap

Each week the submissions are getting better and better--more variety and lots, and lots of interesting interpretations. And because the bar has been raised so high, I think we're collectively (and indirectly) making Tom's critiques (by necessity) less involved? Good job everyone! :clap

Each week the submissions are getting better and better--more variety and lots, and lots of interesting interpretations. And because the bar has been raised so high, I think we're collectively (and indirectly) making Tom's critiques (by necessity) less involved? Good job everyone! :clap

Thank you.

I so appreciate this thread because of the very things you mentioned.

Every week I "see" more clearly what people like Beer Team have perfected.
And the discussions help me to see behind the curtain of mystery.

Sharing like this is great!

Thank you all.

Voni

sMiling

At the risk of being a "Post Whore"....

I gotta enter one more.....from my weekend ride and Unmetered Harmony ride report...
I think it is probably the one that I would enter if I had limit my entries to single shot

I spent about 20 minutes wandering up and down the road from where I shot this looking for just the right spot to get the roof line, road and fence line to all converge on a single point leading into the background AND getting the horse alined with the road and centered. I was hoping the truck would pull away but no such luck...

horse-1.jpg

RM

Harmony

220582375-M.jpg

Same but different. I prefer this one, although I'm not sure why as I think it's technically inferior both in lighting and composition...so I'm confused why I prefer it.

There are numerous levels to this picture. The balance that's needed to achieve harmony is a comment on the recent forum activities. There's the metaphor of "lead" being used to gain harmony. There's what goes around, comes around.
A whole bunch of "stuff" going on. It's why it took me until this morning to come up with the way I wanted to treat the theme of harmony.

I think it would be even better in black and white...another harmonious element?

So hopefully, while the field of focus is shallow, the messages are far deeper.

Of course, it could just be my front wheel!

numbers down?

I've usually set aside some time on Monday to look at people submissions, and there have been some stunners. But from the numbers this week, at this time, it would appear harmony is far harder to find.

Are there more images just waiting to be posted?

And I noticed that having changed the source image, without copying it first, the posted image is black and white for both...sorry about that.

Same but different. I prefer this one, although I'm not sure why as I think it's technically inferior both in lighting and composition...so I'm confused why I prefer it.

So hopefully, while the field of focus is shallow, the messages are far deeper.

Of course, it could just be my front wheel!

Interesting shot. I prefer it as well. It's a perfect example of why technically correct isn't always a priority. It's a great composition and the focal point is the lead weight and despite how disordered it may seem, it's awfully difficult to look at this image and not have your eyes drawn straight to the weight. It's very abstract, yet technical. The weight is a symbol of balance--an element necessary for harmony. I think you've rather artistically stepped out of the box. :thumb

packaged

Interesting shot. I prefer it as well. It's a perfect example of why technically correct isn't always a priority. It's a great composition and the focal point is the lead weight and despite how disordered it may seem, it's awfully difficult to look at this image and not have your eyes drawn straight to the weight. It's very abstract, yet technical. The weight is a symbol of balance--an element necessary for harmony. I think you've rather artistically stepped out of the box. :thumb

How did you know I'm kept in a box all week and only let out at weekends?

You may have hit on why I prefer it too. It's less 'obvious' than the colour image, which 'gives it all away' immediately. Yep that's probably it. Now back in the box.

Boxer and Bails

If you look carefully they all move together in perfect sync.

1991875098_000b0d3245_b.jpg

10:37am 11/10/2007 Rural upstate SC somewhere between Clinton and Spartanburg SC.

Last edited:
If you look carefully they all move together in perfect sync.

1991875098_000b0d3245_b.jpg

Wow. That's really, really pretty. Perfect placement of the bike and subject matter makes your eye take a happy little walk around the frame. :thumb

And the lighting is perfect. Did you take this in the early morning or early evening?

For those that are shooting, note that the early or late hours of sunlight produce a warm, golden light. This picture has used that to great advantage to set a mood of calm.

Wonderfully done, sir!

Wow. That's really, really pretty. Perfect placement of the bike and subject matter makes your eye take a happy little walk around the frame. :thumb

And the lighting is perfect. Did you take this in the early morning or early evening?

For those that are shooting, note that the early or late hours of sunlight produce a warm, golden light. This picture has used that to great advantage to set a mood of calm.

Wonderfully done, sir!

Thanks for that compliment KBasa! It was taken at 10:37am (camera EXIF data shows). Rural upstate SC somewhere between Clinton and Spartanburg SC.

small favor

Hey, all you photograpers, I've really been enjoying your work. It's fun to see the bikes, of course, but your pix are terriffic no matter what the subject. I hope you'll keep this thread going and that the rounders and riders in more temperate climes will continue to contribute all winter.

So here's my request. Save some of those pix and post them when I'm up to my keister in snowblower. There's only so much you can ask of Wellbutrin. :whistle

I have the theme, and the subjects. I just couldn't find a good setup.
PB110005.jpg

The Harmony of a great flight crew, a good conduct ribbon, and the flak that could have ended my fathers life. He is one of the "Boys from Bungay" or the "Bungay Buckaroos" they were often referred to as.

Last edited:
I have the theme, and the subjects. I just couldn't find a good setup.
PB110005.jpg

The Harmony of a great flight crew, a good conduct ribbon, and the flak that could have ended my fathers life. He is one of the "Boys from Bungay."

Especially appropriate today. :thumb

Autumnal Harmony

Taken outside Katy's Restaurant in Carmel on Sunday. I tried to shoot these leaves from a number of angles but felt uninspired. As I was still waiting for a table, I walked around the tree and was struck by the sunlight shining through the leaves. Their translucence and how they appear to be interlocked really appealed to me. Click on image for EXIF.

The "date modified" reflects when I converted these to JPEGs. I usually don't shoot in RAW, but these images were all shot that way.

Last edited:
Nature's Reiteration

Also shot Sunday outside Katy's. I've always been fascinated by these kinds of flowers (I have no idea what it is). The infinite repition of the leaves is amazing. Click for EXIF.

Frayed Ends

This is the burial site of Fray Junipero Serra at the Mission at Carmel. He aspired to die a martyr but was cheated of that fate and died a peaceful, harmonious death. Click for EXIF.

Though not tack-sharp, this photo was taken hand-held at 1/4 sec. (albeit with a image stablized lens) It is one of six shots, as I was having to take these without looking through the viewfinder.

I've always been fascinated by these kinds of flowers (I have no idea what it is). The infinite repition of the leaves is amazing. Click for EXIF.

It's a dahlia (I think), but I have no idea what cultivar. As always, great shots!

How do you embed your EXIF data as a link? I just checked mine on Smugmug and it says I shot my photos on 10/20 :blush , so my camera needs a little calibration. :)

Back