• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering a 2012 K1600GT

IBA# 5819
Howdy!
I have the opportunity to latch on to a very low mileage 2012 K16 at a reasonable price.
Anything I should be looking for as far as issues....minor or major?
I have a 99 K12RS now and looking to upgrade

Thanks!!

Joe

Minor (Usually)

Howdy!
I have the opportunity to latch on to a very low mileage 2012 K16 at a reasonable price.
Anything I should be looking for as far as issues....minor or major?
I have a 99 K12RS now and looking to upgrade

Thanks!!

Joe

Hi,

Check the right front fork of the bike for a 4 digit code in the upper right hand corner. Front Fork.jpg
Be diligent about checking out manufacturer's dates prior to Feb '12. Seems like a lot of the problems came out in the first batch of bikes (pre-orders & early orders).

Coming from a 99 K12RS, you may find the GT more to your liking (sportier). If you want a slightly more civilized ride (now that you're a few years older), maybe the GTL is on order.

I've got a '12 GTL & lover it! 23,500 miles and she purrs like a kitten whether I'm slabbing it or, canyon romping. Ok, the canyons do bring out the big cat in her...

The mother-ship did a recall on the handlebar switches (L&R).

There have been some water pump failures, pulls to the right in steering & some guys complain of the driveline lash, especially in low gears, low rpms.

My switches were replaced even though they were functioning correctly & I admit, they're better quality than the originals.

A low mileage '12 @ a reasonable price is a good buy. Test drive both the GT & GTL. Slightly different ergos & set up. However, if you really like one vs. the other you can make adjustments to have the bike fit you.

You will absolutely love the engine & the way a nearly 800 lb bike handles. I ride most weekends with my sport bike buddies in the local Southern California mountains and fully loaded with all the bags to boot! Keeping up is not an issue.

Multi-state / cross country tourer? Eats miles comfortably.

Thanks for the feedback.
Thats just the kind of info I was looking for.
I'll be taking a close look at it later this week.

Joe

Tobi and I have over 36000 miles on this very nicely balanced bike. I've been very impressed with her speed (for a 750lb bike) and acceleration. The SMOothneSS of the K1600 platform cannot be overlooked, especially when eating up the long slab miles. The power (torque, mostly) is real hard to ignore, it is a lot like a good roller coaster, fairly quick acceleration, takes the twisties like its on rails, and has a great solid feel to it (did I mention smooth?). We've ridden three-up (Tobi, Wife, and I) pulling the trailer through the mountains and hills of Montana/Wyoming/Colorado/Utah; the bike just pulls the whole thing along like it was a minor task.

I'd say try to get a good test ride on the 2012, listen for front end squeak. The transmission is supposed to be clunky, but our Harley's were far louder then the K16s. I DO have a issue with shifiting into 2nd from 1st, a but of a grind, or I miss it. This is mostly due to everything below my left knee being immobile, so I have to shift lifting my entire leg; the throw is a little longer. 2nd-6th is smooth as a baby's behind.

I own a 2012 K1600GT with a 10/11 build date and personally wouldn't hesitate to buy it. The relatively minor problems that have cropped up on many of these bikes have all been resolved by now. There was a factory recall/replacement of the handlebar switch gear for all of these bikes (and other BMW models as well) and some of them have had leaky water pumps. You'd want to look to make sure the water pump was replaced after October 2013 when BMW came out with the new part. Other than that, this has been the finest bike I've ever owned. It'll cross the continent in comfort and keep up with sport bikes in the twisties. It's a superbly balanced sport/touring machine at the apex of the category and you're likely to find some pretty great deals on it shopping 2012s.

I own a 2012 K1600GT with a 10/11 build date and personally wouldn't hesitate to buy it. The relatively minor problems that have cropped up on many of these bikes have all been resolved by now. There was a factory recall/replacement of the handlebar switch gear for all of these bikes (and other BMW models as well) and some of them have had leaky water pumps. You'd want to look to make sure the water pump was replaced after October 2013 when BMW came out with the new part. Other than that, this has been the finest bike I've ever owned. It'll cross the continent in comfort and keep up with sport bikes in the twisties. It's a superbly balanced sport/touring machine at the apex of the category and you're likely to find some pretty great deals on it shopping 2012s.

What he said. 47k miles on my pre-order 2012 (#789) and everything works perfectly, Probably be close to 49 K by the end of the weekend. :)

I wonder if this guy is serious about selling it.
Still waiting for a return call to set up a time to view it.

Last edited:
Follow up:
MFG Date is 02/12 and all recalls have been done.
If I can cut a deal; its mine.

I currently have an '07 RT with about 50,000 miles, are the maintenance costs going to be similar?

I am starting to think about getting a used K1600, seems like there are some good appearing. I generally do, oil changes, brake pads. Everything else serviced by the dealer as scheduled. I replaced the original battery after about 2 years, with an Odyssey lasted almost 6 years and just replaced it with another Odyssey. I typically get about 7,000 miles tires. Owning this bike has been a wonderful experience, just ready for something different.

Tires on this beast don't last long unless you are a solo rider with a easy throttle wrist. If you are like me, nothing like the previous statement, tires last about 5,000 miles. I change my own.
Services can be costly. Now that I am past my 36,000 miles warrantee, I'll be doing as much of it as I can. My 35,950 service (read 36,000) cost just under $1100. That's a LOT, but it was not just a oil change, but a valve/shim check for the big 6 calendar (all was well). That service happens every 18,000 miles. All said and done, for the same mileage, my old '09 Harley Ultra-Classic cost a few hundred less for the same 36,000 miles ridden, NOT including tires.

Tires are expected and this one needs them. But high maintenance costs could be a deal breaker.
My 99 K12RS is easy to work on.

I got it!

2012; all options included. 8,600 miles

20151127_110606.jpg

I just need engine protectors. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Beautiful bike!

I've never had to test my BMW bars but I've heard from others that they do ok on a drop. The illiumworks and altrider bars get good reviews too. Quite a bit of info on k1600forum.com. Fwiw

Congrats!

I bought a '12 GTL in July 2014 w/800mi. on it from Grand Junction HD/BMW. I rode my first 1000 mi. day on it (stock seat) 2 months later. No issues at all the first season other than the inner oil plug being stripped out when I bought the bike. The dealer covered the fix, which required that the oil pan be pulled to get to the inner pan. They even provided me with a new loaner bike for 10 days...a 2015 HD Road Glide. The Road Glide was fun, but after 600 mi. I was ready to have my K1600 back. I now live in Coeur d'Alene Idaho and the bike has 20,000 mi. on the odometer. The water pump is leaking a little and it is now out of warranty. I didn't buy the extended warranty, choosing instead to bank this money for future tire purchases! The switches have been recalled and the dealer has the parts to replace them. I'll see if they can work with me on the water pump replacement, which I'm told could cost upwards of $500 with labor. Even if I am out of pocket for the water pump, it is still a small price to pay to ride such an amazing machine! In October I took an epic 6000 mi. ride from Ft. Collins to my home town of Albany Louisiana, catching the Ozark's twisting roads along the way. I then proceeded to Big Bend TX, and then through AZ, NV, CA, OR and WA en route back to Northern Idaho. BTW I added 3 CA roads to my list of favorite roads: CA route 120 from the NV boarder to Mono Lake;
CA route 128 from Winters thru Napa Valley to the Pacific Ocean; and last (but certainly not least) state route 1/US 101 (the Redwooods Hwy) all the way to the Oregon line. The bike has always run 100% flawlessly and I can't say enough about the dealer in Grand Junction that let me ride that Harley for 10 days...unlimited mileage. Can't wait for the next riding season on this bike.

I have a 2012 variant

I have a 2012 K1600GT that I bought Feb 2012 - Honestly a GREAT BIKE - love it. And, I have been farkling it ever since.

I have the bars for the back from 'C4' - he is on the K1600forum - and you can look me up to see pictures (MugsyMD)
I have the Clearwater Erica LED lights, plus the Clearwater Flashing Billie Brake Light
Also I have the ALTRider bars - LOVE THEM - and added the Ilium Pegs (these do get expensive - but very comfortable when riding long miles).
Also added the PDM60 for electricity control.
And I am waiting for my LEATHER Russel Day Long Seat to arrive -they told me it is finished - now waiting for it to arrive.

I have pictures of all -

Get the bike - you will not be sorry - and don't worry about the minor things - all still works great.

I have a 2012 K1600GT that I bought Feb 2012 - Honestly a GREAT BIKE - love it. And, I have been farkling it ever since.

I have the bars for the back from 'C4' - he is on the K1600forum - and you can look me up to see pictures (MugsyMD)
I have the Clearwater Erica LED lights, plus the Clearwater Flashing Billie Brake Light
Also I have the ALTRider bars - LOVE THEM - and added the Ilium Pegs (these do get expensive - but very comfortable when riding long miles).
Also added the PDM60 for electricity control.
And I am waiting for my LEATHER Russel Day Long Seat to arrive -they told me it is finished - now waiting for it to arrive.

I have pictures of all -

Get the bike - you will not be sorry - and don't worry about the minor things - all still works great.

Thanks for the input.
I got the bike a few weeks ago and waiting for delivery.
Been looking at what farkles are available but it doesn't seem to need much.
I'll probably go with the AltRider bars when they are on sale or some other incentive.
I like the idea of the flashing brake light so I'll look into that.

Joe

Thanks for the input.
I got the bike a few weeks ago and waiting for delivery.
Been looking at what farkles are available but it doesn't seem to need much.
I'll probably go with the AltRider bars when they are on sale or some other incentive.
I like the idea of the flashing brake light so I'll look into that.

Joe

Go to k1600forum.com before you buy those farkles. There are a couple of items made and sold by K1600 owners that may be better than what you can buy "out there".

Go to k1600forum.com before you buy those farkles. There are a couple of items made and sold by K1600 owners that may be better than what you can buy "out there".

Thanks!
I have been nosing around there and as far as bars go I only see Ilium, Wunderlich, OEM and AltRider.
I haven't been looking into much else yet...its winter here in MN.

Back