• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

replacement shocks for r90/6

At 120k miles, I replaced the originals with Ikons. I liked the Ikons/Koni reputation and are also rebuildable.:wave

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

Take a look at Hagon shocks. If you like what you see then call Dave Quinn a call and he'll help you size them. Hagon does have shocks with chrome shrouds although not Girling look alikes. I put a pair on the R65 and it was an amazing difference in the ride.

just replaced mine

I just replaced my original shocks when I had to replace the final drive. I had it all apart so I figures this is a good time.

I installed shocks from Progressive Suspension. I tried to disassemble the originals to reuse the aluminum shroud but the originals were stubborn. So with help, I torched the originals apart to salvage the shrouds. They were pretty easy to install onto the new shocks instead of the cheap plastic supplied with the aluminum shrouds. They don't look exactly original but here is a pic.

shocks.jpg

They ride very nicely

brian

Motobins in the UK sells stainless steel shrouds for these shocks.

Somebody said be patient to take the olds ones off. Please explain, I would like to know how to do this as my springs need repainting. Shocks are still go, no leaks etc., just the springs are rough looking.

The trick is compressing the coils enough to get a wrench on the flats on the rod that's under the top rod. I used hose clamps looped through the coils but its a major pita. I'm sure there's got to be a better way. :)

Yes I have them... but not the same bike as you

I have Bob's shocks on my 1978 R80/7, but the non upper shroud version. They are the same, but no aluminum shroud. Frankly, I can't tell the riding difference between OEM and Bob's. The originals that came with my non running, $800 mini storage queen had rust and flaking chrome, so that was the main reason for replacement. No oil leaking. Bob's claims they can be rebuilt, but I see no way to disassemble them. They look just like the OEM's, all welded, and no way to access internals. I Googled the manufacture shown on the warrantee, but they don't come up. Just reporting my observations so far -- new to airhead ownership, and do 100% of my wrenching, but not an experienced expert in any way. They perform well, and look fine.

Shocks

Wait a min. here! The question was about the repro shocks from Bob's. So let's try to answer the question that was asked. My experience is that I put a set on a restoration that I did two years ago, at the customer's request. To the best of my knowledge, they're still working like new and are the equivalent of the original Boge (sp) shocks that came on the bike.
So with that in mind, I bought a pair for the restoration that I'm doing for myself. If you look at the reproduction shocks, you'll notice that the top mount/eyebolt is different from the original. So, I think, I'll just replace it with an original top piece, to make it look original. Well, it turns out that the thread pitch is different, so I had to drill out the original top piece and use a Heli-Coil with the right thread pitch to make it work. Just so you know.

I bought Bob's shocks

They don't do anything for me. If you really want them I would trade for some good Ikons or Hagons.

Motobins in the UK sells stainless steel shrouds for these shocks.

Somebody said be patient to take the olds ones off. Please explain, I would like to know how to do this as my springs need repainting. Shocks are still go, no leaks etc., just the springs are rough looking.

just because they are not leaking does not mean that they are "still go(od)". If original, they are over 40 years old. Shocks are a wear item, as well as a safety component.

The trick is compressing the coils enough to get a wrench on the flats on the rod that's under the top rod. I used hose clamps looped through the coils but its a major pita. I'm sure there's got to be a better way.

There absolutely is a better way...

Here's 'Bum's article on the subject. > http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/tools.htm
Another old thread on the subject > http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?55445-Shock-Sleeves&highlight=shock compressor

ShockAbsorberTool.jpg

But there are all kinds of ways to accomplish the task... once you know what has to be done. Once you get the aluminum cover (along with the coil spring) compressed far enough to get a thin 10mm wrench on the flats (ground onto the shock strut) you simply unthread the cast aluminum mounting "eyelet" on the end of the strut.

DSCN2683-L.jpg

attachment.php

BMW458.jpg

went with hagons from dave quinn

Take a look at Hagon shocks. If you like what you see then call Dave Quinn a call and he'll help you size them. Hagon does have shocks with chrome shrouds although not Girling look alikes. I put a pair on the R65 and it was an amazing difference in the ride.

i just did exactly that. ordered the classic I with stainless body and shroud, and black spring.

looks almost identical to old stock one that i had on my 75/6 back in the '80s. dave seems like a good guy. i like dealing with small businesses.

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

scroll down to the last picture. i ordered number 3. by the way, according to the hagon UK site, that hagon logo peels off :)

thanks everybody for contributing to this thread.

-eric

Back