• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Apalachicola RTE

alabeemer

Rather Be Ridin'
OK, so I have been thinking.

I want a destination to which to ride that could also be an event that could attract riders from all over the region. I could put out an All Call to friends and on the forum as an open invitation to see just who and how many would show up? Create an informal gathering of folks with a common interest in BMW motorcycles and riding and eating and smiling and meeting new friends while visiting with old ones. Hmmmm..

So here is what I came up with. My wife Mari and I really enjoy visiting the ÔÇ£Forgotten CoastÔÇØ of Florida specifically the Apalachicola, St. George Island area. Home of the world famous Apalachicola Bay oysters this area is rich with historical significance and heritage as well. And you canÔÇÖt beat the food at a place called Boss Oyster there that includes oysters fixed about a million or so ways as well as a full menu to suit most everyoneÔÇÖs taste.

The Details: The informal gathering is intended for BMW riders and their guests interested in gathering to eat and fellowship with like minded riders. No frills, no program, no awards just show up at the appointed time, eat and have fun. Then you are on your own, you can stay or just ride off!

I have spoken with Beverly (850) 653-8139 at The Apalachicola River Inn http://www.apalachicolariverinn.com immediately adjacent to Boss Oyster. The same folks own both the restaurant and the Inn. This is a small and quaint 22 room Inn on the river with both King, Queen and Double bed rooms available. Availability is good as of now but of course all rooms are available on a first come first served basis so book early to get one. When you speak with Beverly, be sure to mention you are with the BMW Group.

There are several other hotels in town that you can contact directly if more rooms are needed. The closest tent camping I am aware of is not far away at Indian Pass Campground. http://www.indianpasscamp.com .

So that is the plan and here are the specifics;

The Date: Saturday, September 18, 2010
Time: 3PM
Place: Boss Oyster Restaurant
123 Water Street
Apalachicola, FL
850-653-9364 (Restaurant)
850-653-8139 (Inn)

Coordinates: N29 43.636 W84 58.941

Who would be interested in meeting Mari and I there? While we donÔÇÖt need a firm head count we would like to know approximately how many to expect so we can ÔÇ£warnÔÇØ the restaurant.

The oyster skiffs are ready and our room is booked! :eat

Great idea!

Just reserved a room for me and my wife, Lana, for the evening of September 18. We've lived in the panhandle of Florida for years and never made it to Apalachicola. Hope to see others jump in.:brad

Vance - Mrs. Visian sounds up for this, now it's just a matter of whether the bike is.

It was a long trip out to Redmond and let's just say I didn't take the smoothest or fastest way. :ha

More likely than not we will come, as I think repairs can be held off until winter.

Ian

Navy en route:)

I passed it on to my kids at Pensacola, Jess and Tim on F650s. I hope they get away from their Pilot duties for that day or so and meet you folks. Now, my CA home and I have to make some serious plans to ride for them Oysters:). Sounds way neat and like I said, my Navy extended family is right there at Pensacola:). Hmmmm. Happy Trails all, Randy"Polarbear":thumb

Thats great Polarbear..we will cwetainly look for Jess and Tim. And for you...hey a good excuse to go for a little ride and see them too! Come on down! :wave

Weather still looks good. Thanks to my wife Mari for bringing up the point that Apalachicola is in the Eastern Time Zone...not by much now but it is...so we will be meeting at 3PM EASTERN TIME at Boss Oyster. I hope to see you there!!!

The Apalachicola event wasa fun one indeed! We had 13 riders in total from as far away as Miami and north Alabama. Yep it was hot but the fellowship was the greatest! Excellent accomodations next door and a special sunrise on Sunday morning. all agreed we should do it again...no doubt we will!

Attachments

• DSC04279[1].jpg
    DSC04279[1].jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 34
oh man, emerson biggins!

those oysters look GOOD! :eat

sorry to miss this... the meeting i had to attend was nowhere near as fun, but at least there was some great Q!

ian

And after we started ordering...they headed out for more stuff! :eat

Attachments

• DSC04291[2].jpg
    DSC04291[2].jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 29
Back