• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Missing a lot of Riding. My seat in a limbo Rick Mayer Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

9w510

Just to vent my frustration... After talking with Rick Mayer last December we agreed on me sending my 2012 R1200RT seat and paying for the modification service. Both payment and seat shipping were made in December.
This is copy of e-mail message I got from him January 24:
Hi Mr. Garcia I see your saddle was started in mid December-however the move over Christmas effected our schedule and I see it is on track to ship next week-I apologize for the extended delay. You will see a tracking # when we have it boxed. Regards and thank you for your patience.Rick

After numerous phone call messages, he left me a message on March 3, saying that he will finish my seat Friday 7 and will call me with the tracking number.
As of today March 13 and more phone calls messages from my part I have not heard anything from Mr. Mayer.
I don't know how to express my frustration with this kind of service, let alone three months of not riding --I live in El Paso, Tx. I can ride almost all year around---
Can't enjoy my retirement just because this______kind of business. Obviously I do not recommend you engage on this kind of deals.
If anyone by any chance knows Rick or have ideas as to how to make him complete his part of the deal, pleas PM me.
Thank you
Rodolfo Garcia

Did you pay with credit card? If so, dispute it with your card company. When they debit him you'll be amazed how quick a response you'll get.

I have a stock 2 piece seat you can borrow, just pay shipping both ways. I can have it to U.P.S. tomorrow. Let me know

I have a stock 2 piece seat you can borrow, just pay shipping both ways. I can have it to U.P.S. tomorrow. Let me know

Thank you very much. I'm getting one tomorrow from a friend's father in law.
Sweet.
Thank you much,

Rodolfo

Oh man, I am sorry to hear this! This is like every freakin' contractor who ever worked on my house! No craftsmanship, no meeting any kind of timeline that anyone running a business as a professional would, only delays and excuses - followed by me calling my attorney. (no offense if you are a contractor) Well if it doesn't work out, try Sargent, they did an awesome job on my seat. Real craftsmanship and they got it done in a few weeks.

Good luck!
BH

There are many sources for after market saddles, especially for BMWs. Has to make one wonder how good this vendors saddle must be to overcome such poor customer service reporting? If this was an isolated incident, one might overlook it. However, there are many like comments, going back numerous years in multiple forums.

Perhaps the problem is too much ride-in business? Appears he may stop his "production line" whenever someone rides in for a saddle while they wait. Considering where he lives, no doubt has many folks ride in, most of the year. Not an excuse, but may explain many of the reports I've read. Needs to change his customers' service expectations by adding a line to his ads: "Saddles completed in two weeks to five months and do NOT expect communication during that time."

Same story, different victim of RMS.:banghead

Is the MOA listening to this one? Somehow RMS have managed to avoid several instances of irate customers being elevated to mediation by MOA customer liaison.

Last edited:
That's crazy. I had no idea that this went on. I just did a ride in with Rick in January and had a great experience. He is a nice guy and a great craftsman. I enjoyed watching him work and I love the saddle. It did take a couple weeks to get in touch with him and make my appointment, but once I did all went well.

Sorry you are having such a poor experience. He is really a nice guy, but it seems he may need a wake up call on customer service.

Just to vent my frustration... After talking with Rick Mayer last December we agreed on me sending my 2012 R1200RT seat and paying for the modification service. Both payment and seat shipping were made in December.
This is copy of e-mail message I got from him January 24:
Hi Mr. Garcia I see your saddle was started in mid December-however the move over Christmas effected our schedule and I see it is on track to ship next week-I apologize for the extended delay. You will see a tracking # when we have it boxed. Regards and thank you for your patience.Rick

After numerous phone call messages, he left me a message on March 3, saying that he will finish my seat Friday 7 and will call me with the tracking number.
As of today March 13 and more phone calls messages from my part I have not heard anything from Mr. Mayer.
I don't know how to express my frustration with this kind of service, let alone three months of not riding --I live in El Paso, Tx. I can ride almost all year around---
Can't enjoy my retirement just because this______kind of business. Obviously I do not recommend you engage on this kind of deals.
If anyone by any chance knows Rick or have ideas as to how to make him complete his part of the deal, pleas PM me.
Thank you
Rodolfo Garcia

I had a Rick Mayer saddle built for my '04RT in '05 and Rick is a great guy no doubt. I drove to his place with the seats only and he attached them to his '04RT for fitting and did the job. That said a couple years later I sent the seats off to Russell and got the Day Long Saddle which cost a bit more but it was worth it. Maybe what you should do is find out if the seats are really done and if not have them shipped back and then contact Russell. I think you would be glad you did. IMO, Mayer saddles are not much better than the OEM seats when all is said and done. Not worse than OEM either just not enough better to be worth it. Again just my, for what it's worth, very humble opinion.

I had a Rick Mayer saddle built for my '04RT in '05 and Rick is a great guy no doubt. I drove to his place with the seats only and he attached them to his '04RT for fitting and did the job. That said a couple years later I sent the seats off to Russell and got the Day Long Saddle which cost a bit more but it was worth it. Maybe what you should do is find out if the seats are really done and if not have them shipped back and then contact Russell. I think you would be glad you did. IMO, Mayer saddles are not much better than the OEM seats when all is said and done. Not worse than OEM either just not enough better to be worth it. Again just my, for what it's worth, very humble opinion.

Thank you all for your responses and words.
I know for sure Rick Mayer got my saddle and my payment.
No response to my phone call messages.
What I'm going to do is call my credit card company and try to reverse payment, hope I get his attention.
Number two I'm going to contact Better Business Bureau of Red Bluff, CA. and submit a complain.

Folks, thanks again for your input.
Rodolfo

It is evident by the above stories, if you drive in you get priority attention. If you do mail order....good luck. A drive in for me would be 4,300 miles round trip...not a real life option. Perhaps some butt toughening exercises would be a better option?

It is evident by the above stories, if you drive in you get priority attention.

Curious. Just an observation; literally every auto parts store I have ever been in answers the phone ahead of customers standing in front of the counter... whassupwidat? :dunno

Getting off topic with the phone manners but...way back when I owned a retail business, my answering machine message was as follows...."Thanks for calling---our business hours are 'blah blah blah...' If this call is during those hours, we are assisting customers who have came to the store. If you would leave your name and number, we will call you back ASAP, or if you would like, you can come to our store and receive the same service that the other customers are receiving right now. We look forward to helping you which ever way you choose. Thanks for calling'...Never got one complaint from customers for this system.

Curious. Just an observation; literally every auto parts store I have ever been in answers the phone ahead of customers standing in front of the counter... whassupwidat? :dunno

Yes, they do answer the phone and then say, "Can you please hold?" While they finish taking money from the customer standing in front of them. Apparently the retailer being considered here doesn't pick up the phone...or does and asks the customer to call back in a month?

I followed one of your suggestions, I called my credit card company and dispute the charge, see what happen, hope that will get Rick Mayer's attention.
Also I filed a complain with Red Bluff, CA. Better Business Bureau I want my 2012 r1200rt seat shipped back to me.

Thanks again for all your input.

Rodolfo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back