• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SPOT Messenger vs. ACR PLB

aa3jy

Pros and cons for each...like the features and price of the SPOT..but like the higher power and reputation of ACR.

Thoughts and experiences??

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

Have used SPOT for the tracking feature.

Works extremely well. However, I did not renew due to the cost of the subscription. If it were 1/2 what they want, I would take it in an instance. Thought they may offer a reduced price to come back like XM radio, but they didn't.

Have used SPOT for the tracking feature.

Works extremely well. However, I did not renew due to the cost of the subscription. If it were 1/2 what they want, I would take it in an instance. Thought they may offer a reduced price to come back like XM radio, but they didn't.

Used ones are CHEAP

Pros and cons for each...like the features and price of the SPOT..but like the higher power and reputation of ACR.

ACR - PLB.

Pro's - You push the buttons, the cavalry will come riding over the hill. You get the same response as an Airline crash (it's the same signal). Better coverage North of the Arctic Circle than the SPOT. Uses government managed satellites. Dispatching done by the federal govt.

Con's - You have to be in good enough condition to simultaneously push two buttons to activate the device. There is only one level of alert - DEFCON 5, TOTAL EMERGENCY. No intermediate help or I'm OK signal if you're out of cell phone range.

SPOT
Pro's - An "I'm OK" button to let your family know you're OK when cell phones aren't working. A "trouble" button if you have a non-emergency breakdown. "911" button for emergencies. You get tracking with an I'm OK check in. If something happens where you're incapacitated and you don't check in, your family can use your track to get a search going that can at least get close. IIRC, there was a fellow from Denver last year that went off the road with his Wing in Idaho. The search party had a couple hundred mile search area (based on time and last known location). They never found him. It was some hunters that stumbled on him a few weeks later under some brush. With a SPOT in tracking mode, they could have gotten close right away.

Con's - Not as good of coverage as a PLB. The original model isn't as accurate as a PLB (not sure about the new SPOT). The PLB can get you within a few yards. The old SPOT within a couple football fields. The SPOT satellite network is privately owned. Dispatchers try to figure out what the best resource to send for emergencies (possible human error).

My thoughts
SPOT's fine in CONUS. If I was going to Prudhoe Bay, I'd take both. SPOT so your family/friends can track your progress and I'd rent a PLB in case I needed the big time rescue.

Last edited:
No Longer True

According to the ACR website, that i just went to, you can now send an "I'm OK" alert. :thumb

But i haven't used either of these, so..... :dunno

Thoughts and experiences??

Regards,
Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

I will be taking a PLB on my remote tours as well as a sat phone.

I did a lot of reading into PLBs some time ago and even talked to some of the people at SAR that monitor and deploy search aircraft, etc.

The service that a PLB transmits to is government run world-wide. They are not going to go out of business. A SPOT, well it uses a sideband of the Global Star sat phone...not all that reliable (I'll be getting an Iridium sat phone for a good reason).

There must be a reason why aircraft and ships use PLB/EPIRB transmitters.

Back