• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trial balloon, Bloomsburg 1000

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Greetings,

Last year the Iron Butt Association hosted a ride-in to the Redmond rally. For those unfamiliar the Iron Butt Association promotes safe long distance rides. The base ride (required for membership in the IBA) is the Saddle Sore 1000, or 1000 miles in 24 hours or less. The Redmond 1000 was a Saddle Sore 1000 certificate ride that riders could do on their way to the rally.

Riders had three locations to start from and could start their ride anytime from Saturday to 11:00am Thursday. We awarded certificates at a pizza party Friday night.

We're considering doing the same thing along with a group Saddle Sore 1K ride departing the fairground early Wednesday morning.

The departure points for the SS1K route could be Jacksonville, MOA HQ in Ballwin, MO and somewhere in Wisconsin.

Any interest?

As always comments welcome.

Last edited:
Since I live in Pennsylvania, would it count if I just sat in my garage and idled for 23 hours before heading for the rally?

MOA Headquarters to Bloomsburg

I would be willing to help facilitate a MOA Headquarters to the Rally ride. I was too lazy to send in my paperwork from my first ride. This would be an automatic to get my certificate.

I can't commit anything on behalf of the MOA without asking, but I could see the MOA providing some support for people who wanted to start at HQ. I'll say this, I would at least be willing to ask the right people and work to support the event since most of the staff would be in Bloomsburg already.

I would be willing to help facilitate a MOA Headquarters to the Rally ride. I was too lazy to send in my paperwork from my first ride. This would be an automatic to get my certificate.

I can't commit anything on behalf of the MOA without asking, but I could see the MOA providing some support for people who wanted to start at HQ. I'll say this, I would at least be willing to ask the right people and work to support the event since most of the staff would be in Bloomsburg already.

I have to say that we received tremendous support from the Rally Chairs and the MOA staff last year. It was the engraved invitation to do it again that led to my origina post.

The ride in from the MOA HQ would likely be documented in two ways, either by a stamp by someone at HQ or by photographing your motorcycle in front of the office and getting a computer generated receipt from the gas station down the street.

Halifax is 1,039 miles from the rally site. I suggest an eastern Canada location as well because we are not inclined to incorporate an extra 1,900 miles into the plan so that we can be part of a 1,000 mile IB from Wisconsin. Maybe if you take a compass and mark an approximate 1,000 mile circle around Bloomsburg (omitting the ocean of course), a few more options may appear ie in Canada. Secondly, do you get an extra point or two for 'seniors' riding two up :D - Bob

I would be very interested in an IB ride from Wisconsin! I'd even be willing to go to St. Louis if there's not enough interest from the #1 MOA mileage contest winning state...
:clap

Since I live in Pennsylvania, would it count if I just sat in my garage and idled for 23 hours before heading for the rally?

:nono Umm.. No. :D

But you could come over to the rally, set up your tent for the week and do the group Saddle Sore on Wednesday.

Halifax is 1,039 miles from the rally site. I suggest an eastern Canada location as well because we are not inclined to incorporate an extra 1,900 miles into the plan so that we can be part of a 1,000 mile IB from Wisconsin. Maybe if you take a compass and mark an approximate 1,000 mile circle around Bloomsburg (omitting the ocean of course), a few more options may appear ie in Canada. Secondly, do you get an extra point or two for 'seniors' riding two up :D - Bob

I'd love to have a start near *everybody* but that just isn't practical given the challenges of certificate production and ride approval in a compressed time.

The start locations were selected with input from other IBA staff based on their experience with other events. I put in Wisconsin because it's on the way for folks coming in from the west and as Sarah B pointed out they are always top finisher in the Mileage Survey.

Having said this if any chartered club or group of people want to set up a set route based on a minimum number of riders I'd be happy to see what we can do.

I would love to have a starting location in Canada and I like the idea of clubs or small groups doing it together so long as people don't loose sight of the fact it is an individual achievement.

:nono Umm.. No. :D

But you could come over to the rally, set up your tent for the week and do the group Saddle Sore on Wednesday.

I'd love to have a start near *everybody* but that just isn't practical given the challenges of certificate production and ride approval in a compressed time.

The start locations were selected with input from other IBA staff based on their experience with other events. I put in Wisconsin because it's on the way for folks coming in from the west and as Sarah B pointed out they are always top finisher in the Mileage Survey.

Having said this if any chartered club or group of people want to set up a set route based on a minimum number of riders I'd be happy to see what we can do.

I would love to have a starting location in Canada and I like the idea of clubs or small groups doing it together so long as people don't loose sight of the fact it is an individual achievement.

Well, we might decide to do it `the hard way`, ie Jacksonville is a straight line with lots of mp3 player - although Wisc. is a bit twistier, just for the individual achievement part. Secondly, I see your point about folks venturing east or south from Ontario to Wisc. Seems to make sense in terms of numbers and border friggin`around. Anyway, just some international thoughts. We do the reverse for our little Salty Fog Riders Rally in September: take your time eh. :D :ca - Bob

Rob, Pops & I are seriously considering it. Would the route from Balwin be a planned route, or just take off and get there as you choose?

Looking quickly at mapquest is shows just under 850 miles from Balwin to the rally.

I've been doing some searching and I think at age 87 he would capture the record as the oldest SS1k rider to date.

Rob, Pops & I are seriously considering it. Would the route from Balwin be a planned route, or just take off and get there as you choose?

Looking quickly at mapquest is shows just under 850 miles from Balwin to the rally.

I've been doing some searching and I think at age 87 he would capture the record as the oldest SS1k rider to date.

I think it would be very cool for you and your pop to do the ride together.

All the routes will be set in advance with mandatory stops to insure they are more than 1000 miles long.

Rob,

Keep us updated as Pop has decided that we will do it! YEA I'm really looking forward to him getting his name in the record books, as well as doing the ride together as a father/son team!

We also have one lady from our local club who is very interested. I'll check at our meeting tonight and see how many others would be interested in leaving from Balwin.

Thanks,
Ken Foster
SW MO

Back