• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

loud click upon take off

Hello all, thanks again for previous responses to my posts, anyway, on my 86 R80, upon take off from a stand still, either 1st or 2nd gear, I get a loud click as I get moving. If i am rolling slow, and accelerate I sometimes get the same click, I hear it on the right rear and feel it in the right foot peg. looking at the manual and studying the way the drive is assembled, i am thinking that the click is from the drive shaft sliding in and out on the yolk as i take off and the suspension moves, like the mid 80's chevy trucks. Does that sound like a strong possibility? other diagnosis and suggestions are always welcome. I do not want to take apart for no reason. Thanks

86 R 80 has solid wheels. One of probably a lot of possibilities is that one (or more) bolts connecting the clutch output to the drive shaft has come loose. This has happened to me. Not a sure thing, but a possibility. There's a rubber cover held on with large hose clamps which
needs to be pushed back to view the bolts. This is rare...but less so if you or a PO have removed the transmission or drive shaft and didn't torque the bolts property (or use new ones)
mac

raise the back wheel and put it in gear, move wheel back and forth listening for click or taking up excessive slack in driveline.

Inspect, drive shaft ( there is a torque coupling with ears that could have excess wear).

Inspect- Drive shaft bolts to tranny output shaft, loosen rubber clamp at tranny and inspect.

Ring gear rivets coming loose from flywheel, inspect by removing starter and check for movement, with kick starter if you have one. (Probably not this)

Could also be-Clutch input shaft wear.

-Excess lash on ring and pinion, or drive and driven bearing.

-internal tranny issues.

alot of suggestions, i now have plenty to look at. I have the snowflake wheel, I have not torqued the motormount bolts. Oh and I am 38, not the hip as of yet.

Thanks for the input I will follow up.

Click update

ok, I checked all that was suggested, there is NO play in the drive shaft and parts, no play at the rear gear. motormounts are tight and its not my hip. When the bike is on the center stand, I run it and put it in gear let out clutch , cannot make the click sound, take the bike off the center stanf\d and stand beside it, letting out the clutch, cannot make the sound. It only clicks when my 195lb self is on the bike. any suggestions besides trimming up? I am 6ft so I am not that overweight. My hip is good also.

hum..shock mounts???? U-joint play??? did you pull the driveshaft boot back and check the four bolts at the tranny output shaft???

Sitting on the R80 changes the angle of the drive shaft. So with the symptom described I would guess the u-joints of the drive shaft.

Could also be the load on the pivot bearings in the swing-arm/frame connection. Any change in load on the drive shaft would cause a rotating force like twisting the swing arm left or right. And according to the symptom description it would be the area where the right bearing sits in the frame.

/Guenther

04 1150RS responded about checking the torque coupling on the rear of the drive shaft. That was the problem with mine. It was also making a clunking noise when accelerating.It's not hard to get to,remove the final drive,compress the splined coupling,remove the retaining ring and then the two parts of the coupling come right out.For some reason I not allowed to post pictures because I've already posted them before. If you want them PM me.

04 1150RS responded about checking the torque coupling on the rear of the drive shaft. That was the problem with mine. It was also making a clunking noise when accelerating.It's not hard to get to,remove the final drive,compress the splined coupling,remove the retaining ring and then the two parts of the coupling come right out.For some reason I not allowed to post pictures because I've already posted them before. If you want them PM me.

First, it's not that you're "not allowed" to post them...it's the software that lets only one named image be uploaded to the server. If you had these images on a web server like smugmug, etc., you could link to your heart's content. Do you know the previous posts where you uploaded the pictures? Are they in this thread:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=37251

Second, you reference an Oilhead model...are there similarities between it and the Airhead being discussed in this thread?

Yes ,that is the thread with the pictures in it. The oil head ,04 R1150RS ,was the username that had responded to this question. He had said it was possible that the torque coupling may have some wear.

I have seen the large spring broken

I pulled apart an old drive shaft and swing arm housing and found the large spring that is part of the assembly to be broken in half. That unit had a nasty slapping noise on acceleration and deceleration. That would be something to consider and check.

Loud click upon take off

Hello all, thanks again for previous responses to my posts, anyway, on my 86 R80, upon take off from a stand still, either 1st or 2nd gear, I get a loud click as I get moving. If i am rolling slow, and accelerate I sometimes get the same click, I hear it on the right rear and feel it in the right foot peg. looking at the manual and studying the way the drive is assembled, i am thinking that the click is from the drive shaft sliding in and out on the yolk as i take off and the suspension moves, like the mid 80's chevy trucks. Does that sound like a strong possibility? other diagnosis and suggestions are always welcome. I do not want to take apart for no reason. Thanks

Phil
You might want to check welds in subframe/frame assembly.Possibly might be a welded joint that has separated and is rubbing against the opposite surface.Could make a clicking noise when a torque load is put upon these surfaces as you accelerate.Might be a disaster waiting to happen.
Mark

Update

Ok, i am going to replace the swing arm bearings to start, I found that the swing arm was far off from being centered and one bearing had alot of excess play. I looked for a replacement bearing besides BMW i cross referenced the # and no luck, guess I am stuck buying local, and would have it quicker since I am stationed in Germany. Then I will update again, Also, I will check for broke welds, good idea.

Job complete

hello all, i completed the job today of replacing the swingarm bearings abd reassembly. I took a while on the test ride, but there is a click there, but nowhere near as loud or often. I used feeler guages to adjust the swingarm, and rechecked it the gap is about the same, is it possible to have the swing arm pins too tight against the swingarm? the click is barely audible and can hardly feel it on the footpeg and it does not occur as often. or it could be me wanting to fell the click. and no its not my hip.

any suggesstions or ride until definate proof

Back