• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alligator Alley

Is it worth riding? Ohio wants to know...

If I recall correctly your elevation will vary between 40 feet msl and 50 feet msl, and there are a hand full of right hand corners to cross the canals.

If you stop at one of the little rest areas do not take the plank walkway back into the swamp. The mosquitos will carry you off.

But other than that it could be a decent place to ride a motorcycle.

AA is pretty straight, but there are several smaller roads that meander through the Everglades, through Indian reservations, and the Everglades National Park. Don't worry too much about bugs in the winter, but keep an eye out for gators and snakes.

I agree that if you're looking for canyons or hills, don't bother, i think the highest point is atop one of our trash dumps! ... but winter riding through the 'glades is pretty good, and if you happen to be a dual-sporter, then a little off-road can be had (a 'little' I said).

DO NOT SPEED!!! YOU WILL GET A TICKET!!! The Indian reservation cops have no mercy...DAMHIK

except for the occasional gator sighting.
And +1 for what Stuff said......

I thought the same thing the 4th or 5th time I rode it (now up to a can't remember how many times) and it's still better than a 6 lane interstate.
If you've never seen the everglades it's interesting. If you take some time and see the attractions (tourist trap stuff) it's pretty cool. If you just jet across it you'll miss the real beauty of the glades. Do one of the 300 ( slight exaggeration) person airboat rides, there worth it one time. As mentioned above there are a few out of the way roads too.
I have a trip planned to Key West to finish my 67 County Grind http://sidestandup.com/TheGrind.aspx and I'll use the Alley for my return route home. I like the long way home:thumb

Back