• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Amsterdam NY to Dover NH - need advice

rx35285

Hello northeasterners - I'm headed east through your territory in a couple of weeks and would appreciate advice on a route from Amsterdam, NY to Dover, NH. Hwy 7 (VT) and Hwy 9 (NH) look good. Agree?

If you put me on I-90 for a short stint, what's a good way to get to Hwy 7 east without going through Troy? I went through Troy my last time through. The best part was that I chanced upon Max BMW. The stop and go traffic through Troy was a drag.

TIA
Dave in Cedar Falls, IA

Thank you, pffog. That looks really good. Last year I camped at the RV park between Amsterdam and Scotia, so this feels somewhat familiar. I rode 5S between Utica and Rotterdam Junction and enjoyed it. Would appreciate any advice you have for Buffalo - Amsterdam. I'm thinking about making a swing down to Hammondsport to visit the Curtiss Museum and then past Watkins Glen.

Thanks again,
Dave in Cedar Falls, IA

Nice route - right at the intersection (rotary) of Rt. 9 and 67 there is an awesome pizza place called Double-D's that serves one of the better strombolis I have ever had, and the Malta Diner across the rotary has a great breakfast.

........ Would appreciate any advice you have for Buffalo - Amsterdam. I'm thinking about making a swing down to Hammondsport to visit the Curtiss Museum and then past Watkins Glen.

Thanks again,
Dave in Cedar Falls, IA

Not a lot of good choices going East-West in the area. All the non interstates (104, 5, 20) were OLD routes, so every town was built along them. I90 is...... well.. .interstate.

Dipping down to Hammondsport and zig-zagging east would be much more entertaining, if you have the time

Amsterdam NY to Dover NH...and then Vermont

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I plan to use them.

What about Vermont while I'm in the neighborhood? Glennfiddich, any suggestions for a place to stay (nice campground or clean Mom & Pop motel) and good loops if I were to spend a day or so in your fine state? Any combination of challenging roads, nice scenery, and historical sites/museums is good. It's all good when it's new to me. I wasn't planning to do this, but a guy from our local gang was just in VT in a cage, and suggested I'd be crazy if I didn't extend my stay while I'm in the NE.

I will do a search of this part of the forum, but thought I'd ask in case there are personal favorites that aren't posted - or maybe recent road conditions to be avoided.

Thanks,
Dave in Cedar Falls, IA

Dave -- If you look at a map of Vermont, identify Hwy 7 to the west of the Green Mountains and Route 100 on the east. From Bennington in the south to Bristol in the north you'll see a series of roads going east to west connecting those two highways. These are our Gaps. Scratch off Hwy 125 due to lengthy construction delays. The Lincoln Gap is lovely, but mostly dirt, so depending on what you ride you might want to rule that one out as well.

Generally they get more challenging and scenic the further north you ride. But for a great overview of the state I'd suggest you seesaw across the gaps from 7 (or 16 further north) to 100. If you find yourself stuck behind slow moving tourists remember that it is legal in Vermont to pass on a double yellow if conditions are safe and it is not marked with No Passing signage. Just understand that you will be held responsible for any accident resulting.

Lodging advice depends on where you intend to stop for the night. If in the southern part of the state I'd strongly recommend the Colonial House B&B and Inn on Route 100 a couple miles south of Weston (home of the Vermont Country Store). The inn is owned by a couple of Beemer riders and they can give great advice on rides in their area.

If you decide to stop further north, get in touch with me. We have a lot of friends visit this time of year so am not sure if our guest room will be available, but if worse comes to worst you are welcome to pitch a tent in our meadow if you promise to leave the sheep alone. Some of those Yankee Beemer guys eye my ewes with bad intent! :love

There's room in the garage for another bike, plenty of tools, a BMW dealer 45 minutes away, and generally good food and cold beer. One caveat, you must at least pretend to like the attention of my three golden retrievers.

Pete

Rt 17 between Bristol and Waitsfield, is the best road in New England IMHO (if you like technical twisties.)

Be aware, the roads in the NE are rough!

If you decide to stop further north, get in touch with me. We have a lot of friends visit this time of year so am not sure if our guest room will be available, but if worse comes to worst you are welcome to pitch a tent in our meadow if you promise to leave the sheep alone. Some of those Yankee Beemer guys eye my ewes with bad intent! :love

Pete

Hey now! We YBers are really nice guys!... :hug

Pete - thanks for the advice and invitation. I won't impose on you for lodging since I don't plan very far ahead and wouldn't want to leave you wondering. That said, it would be fun to see the sidecar rig and scratch those retrievers' ears. No worries about the sheep unless there are some lamb chops on the menu at the local restaurant. (I apologize if they are your pets.)

Regarding the rule about double yellows - what a surprise. I need to do some research to see if other states have that common sense law.

Pffog, thanks for the road comment. A few technical roads are on the wish list.

I'm really looking forward to getting there.

Dave in Cedar Falls, IA

Back