• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 Rally Location

This topic should be about the BMWMOA 2013 rally.
The Biltmore is the 2013 rally for the BMWRA, its not the same club.

Their site is http://www.bmwra.org/

I think the topic should about both rallys. Many members of the MOA are also members of the RA. The clubs are not in competition with each other. Many members will attend both rallies and those that can't make one might be able to make the other.

The rallys are 2,690 miles apart and in a different month. For me, the trip to Oregon is impossible due to the medical condition of my wife but since Asheville is 2,600 miles closer, I can make it there.

My 2 favorite rallys include one from each club. The MOA rally at Johnson City and the RA rally at Barber Motorsports Park were my favorites. Bloomsburg and the Biltmore both would have been close if the weather had not been so unseasonably hot at both of them.

Suggest someone start a new thread

Maybe someone could start a different thread about the 2013 RA rally.
Just sayin'

These are two completely different events & topics.
:hide

Now about the BMWMOA rally in Salem, OR , July 18-20 2013.
When the announcement was made because it was over a year out I called the manager at the Comfort Inn in Salem, OR. and made a reservation for a room.

She just called me and said she has reduced the rate for about 30 rooms for the rally.
Just tell them you are with the BMWMOA rally for the reduced rate.
First come first served for the reduced rate.
Comfort Inn 1775 Freeway Ct, Salem, OR, (503) 588-0515

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-sal...ild=0&city_code=SLE&sstate_country=&listpos=1

:thumb

Strange..

Reservations way over a year out..... AND reduced!!! They ( comfy inn ) may not
be there next year... keep check

The Price and Thank you WideBMW!

Reservations way over a year out..... AND reduced!!! They ( comfy inn ) may not
be there next year... keep check

About $85 per night with BMW discount!

Room Description Max Room Occupancy Adult(s) Children Extra Bed Nightly Rate

2 Queen Beds, No Smoking
Free High-Speed Internet, Pillow top Mattress, 27 inch TV, Chair with Ottoman, Microwave and Refrigerator 4 persons 1 0 None
Jul 18, 2013

Cancellation Deadline: If you need to change or cancel this reservation, you may do so up until Wednesday, July 17, 2013, before 4pm local hotel time. The reservation cannot be cancelled through email. Sub Total
*Estimated Tax $255.00
$25.50
Estimated Total: $280.50
(US Dollar)

Thank you again WideBMW for the great find!

Everyone should ride Oregon before they depart.

One of my favorite states.

Next to Washington, it's one my favorite States too!

Never attended a National Rally, so I'll definitely be there for this one...! :dance

Cheers!

The Cascade range has geologic formations categorized as old and new. Around Redmond the volcanoes and lava flow represent the new cascades. Much older volcanic activity comprise the west flank of the range. Good examples of this terrain can be found on a scenic byway that runs along the north fork of the Willamette River and down the south fork of the McKenzie River on a road called Aufderheide Dr. An all day ride report that runs from Hwy 58 at Oakridge to the Columbia river a will be posted in the spring. This route is all paved and mostly (way) back roads.

Another ride report in the coast range will highlight a convoluted route of paved forest roads in the Siuslaw National Forest. (I wasn't lost, I took the long way)

Oregon around the Rally location has some great riding.

Bump!

Booked room...Travelodge ($54/night) over on State St....'bout 2 miles from site.

I guess tix will be available around April....or ???

Until I retire the west coast is a tad out of reach. Company policy is five weeks of vacation a year, but max of two weeks at a time. Hardly leaves any time for exploring the area unless I slab it there and back.

So for now, west coast rallies are something to look forward to when I'm stuck at home and my wife tells me to go play in the street.

SHip the bike at least one way and FLY. Save you 3-4 days on the road each way.

SHip the bike at least one way and FLY. Save you 3-4 days on the road each way.

Shipping a hack is prohibitively expensive, and flying with a dog is an ordeal. Every pee break means we have to go back thru security screening. Besides, the journey is at least half the fun. I can't imagine shipping a rig or trailering it would be even a tenth as much fun!

On the other hand, my contribution at work in the past year has been so great my boss is thinking I might deserve three consecutive weeks off. :eat It might come together afterall.

I'm hoping to work this one into my schedule. Salem is just a hop and a skip from my new home in Southern Oregon. :yum

Way back roads

The Cascade range has geologic formations categorized as old and new. Around Redmond the volcanoes and lava flow represent the new cascades. Much older volcanic activity comprise the west flank of the range. Good examples of this terrain can be found on a scenic byway that runs along the north fork of the Willamette River and down the south fork of the McKenzie River on a road called Aufderheide Dr. An all day ride report that runs from Hwy 58 at Oakridge to the Columbia river a will be posted in the spring. This route is all paved and mostly (way) back roads.

Another ride report in the coast range will highlight a convoluted route of paved forest roads in the Siuslaw National Forest. (I wasn't lost, I took the long way)

Oregon around the Rally location has some great riding.

My response...
There are more way back roads than anything else here in Oregon. Really there are just too many to report. GPS works well here, just point your bike in one direction and ride. Just watch out for the microbrews, localvore food oddities and espressos everywhere.
Just don't forget to take some time on the coast, and southern Oregon.

Back