• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 R1150R Lower pegs, shifter mod

Bobmws

Curmudgeon At Large
I find the seat to peg distance to be a bit snug on my knees, so I purchased a peg lowering kit from Suburban Machinery. They also offer a modified shifter (lengthened) for $140. One of the websites stated that only 50% of their customers required the modified shifter.
Guess I'm in the other 50%!
The kit lowers the pegs and moves them forward, the distance at the shifter is only 4" from the peg. The brake side is OK once I adjusted it down, but it was real difficult to get my foot under the shifter. I took a measurement from my K sidecar rig, it also has lowered pegs.

Kcomparison.jpg

I remembered I had scavenged a shifter from my wrecked K bike.

shifter005.jpg

The K shifter attached to the cast arm, so off came the shift peg.

shifter009.jpg

Hole was drilled and tapped

shifter011.jpg

I cut a V into the cast arm to match the back of the K shifter.

R1150R013.jpg

The finished product, within 1/4" of my K bike setup.

shifter012.jpg

My knees are happy and I can shift comfortably!

I just looked up the shift lever on MAXBMW fiche, HOLY CRAP!
23 41 7 654 519 FOOT LEVER 0.09 1 $110.48
Glad I scavenged and packratted parts from the wrecked bike.......

Last edited:
Very nice work, Bob. It is indeed lovely to have the shift lever tab where it works for your own foot.

I had the same challenge on my R when I lowered the pegs, and ended up fabricating a new shift lever using parts from Touratech and that all-purpose BMW parts source, Ace Hardware. Here's the first installment:
http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22417

Last edited:
Very nice work, Bob. It is indeed lovely to have the shift lever tab where it works for your own foot.

I had the same challenge on my R when I lowered the pegs, and ended up fabricating a new shift lever using parts from Touratech and that all-purpose BMW parts source, Ace Hardware. Here's the first installment:
http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22417&p=196906#p196906

David,
Yeah, proper ergos make all the difference in the world.
Nice work on adapting your R12R. That link didn't work but I searched the R12R forum and found it here

Back