• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route Suggestions Yosemite to King's Canyon

I'm new to the forum so bear with me. I'm planning a California ride from Yosemite south to Tehachapi in June and would like to touch into King's Canyon and Sequoa parks. I would like to stay off any interstates but prefer not to be on gravel. (I'll be 2 up on a 1200gs). I have looked at hwy 395 however I think I'll end up on the west side of Yosemite as my start point. Any suggestions. ie what to avoid , what to pick. Thanks

MY backyard:)

I live between the two parks, actually three parks:). We ride GSA1200 and R100/7, my wife and I. You have a lot of choices in roads, between the Yosemite and Sequoia NP's and coming out of Yosemite, southbound, you find yourself in Oakhurst,CA on Hwy.41 headed south for Fresno/Clovis areas and into the Sequoia NP region. 41 is the main drag south from Yosemite, but many many options are there, running the foothills and backcountry roads all the way to near Sequoia. No dirt, unless you really want it, but lots of really good paved two laners:). I live about 12 miles east of Clovis,CA and you'll find me right in line with Sequoia, as i live just off the path a few miles and right "on the path" if you take the back roads. Good stuff around here. Look me up and I have lots of room on my 3 acres mini horse ranch setup. Need a space to camp, no issue here. Hotels in Clovis are very nice, too and a nice old west town to rest up. Our house is within an hour of SequoiaNP and an hour and a half from the south entrance of YosemiteNP. Happy Trails, Randy13233. PS; I have a bike shop in my garage, so need fix'in anything on your trip, don't hesitate to stop by and you can use the bike lift,etcetc....559-323-6780H...BMW dealer in Fresno also! :thumb

Check out the General

Don't know how you enter/exit Yosemite but you'll find 120 (Tioga Pass) a lot less congested than 140 into the Valley. Spend some time to check out Tuolemne Meadows. Good trout fishing and the camping is usually less crowded. Hopefully you can figure out how to make your ride during the week to avoid the weekend crowds.

Make sure you check out the worlds largest tree, General Sherman, in Sequoia.

ca0860.jpg

Its the largest living thing!

The Sherman is believed to be the largest living thing on the planet(above ground), if you exclude the coral reefs....Randy:p

The Sherman is believed to be the largest living thing on the planet(above ground), if you exclude the coral reefs....Randy:p

Yea, I always thought that coral reef argument was weak. The coral reef is not one organism, it's billions.

We flew into Reno and made the long trip to Vegas thru Death Valley last summer (yeah, it's hot). Yosemite is extremely crowded, try the middle of the week to get some relief.

King's Canyon was a lot quieter. Not as spectacular, but still quite scenic. Try the John Muir lodge if you like the peace and quite. Ride to the end of the road to the NE in the park. Traffic is minimal and it is a pleasurable ride. I think the end of the road continues, but we were in a cage and couldn't go off road.

As stated above, don't miss the hike around the General Sherman tree. A lot of nice hiking without large crowds on paved paths. Also don't miss the President, House of Representatives and Senate in same local.

I'm new to the forum so bear with me. I'm planning a California ride from Yosemite south to Tehachapi in June and would like to touch into King's Canyon and Sequoa parks. I would like to stay off any interstates but prefer not to be on gravel. (I'll be 2 up on a 1200gs). I have looked at hwy 395 however I think I'll end up on the west side of Yosemite as my start point. Any suggestions. ie what to avoid , what to pick. Thanks

hey.. welcome to the forum.

if you should decide to stay on on the east side of the sierra, here are a couple of roads that have called out to me from the maps... but i have not ridden... that head down toward tehacapi from the kings canyon area.

i will list them out, but i do not know if they are paved. PLEASE wait for local advice before listening to an idiot like me, who loves a challenging road.

From the West Entrance of Sequoia:

• General's Highway, CA198 south through Three Rivers
  • Yokohl Road, J37 south through Milo to intersect with CA190
  • CA190 and CR-107 east/south through Camp Nelson to Mountain Road 50
  • Mountain Road 50 to Johnsondale, where it looks like it turns into Mountain Road 99.
  • Mountain Road 99/CA521 to Kernville.
  • Burlando Road/CA155 south along the west shore of Lake Isabella.
  • CA178 southwest to CA58 just east of Bakersfield (there is an alternate that goes from Lake Isabella south to 58... road 483)
  • 58 east to Tehachapi.

Polarbear... am i sending this guy wrong?

ian

Back