• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The GS Giant 2014 - It's kind of a BIG deal!

Is the plan still to meet up Tuesday, stay over Wednesday night also, then head to Rally Thursday?

Yes. And now that I am on my computer, here's a link to the St. Croix Haven Campground. We're going to be in the group camping area, and we'll have the use of their community building. Call them an make your arrangements.

There is a ton of excellent adventure riding in the area.

The idea is to get there on Tuesday night, July 22, then ride around the area most of the day before heading over to the rally.

Ian

ps => Would you like some beer and food? Go to the Facebook pages of potential sponsors and let them know you'll be riding in The GS Giant.

pps => You have gone and liked the GS Giant's Facebook page, right?

ppps => Are you *not* a GS Giant? Well then, you can join the GS Giants club at our web site.

Additional clarity please...

The ride that Clayton posted is a "special test" Gypsy Tour. Experienced riders only.

It will end at the same place as the other tours, which has now been identified.

Google St. Croix Haven Campground, call and make your arrangements. Tell them you're with the BMW group and the cost is just $10. I'm working on a sponsor to get you some free beer and food.

Ian

Ian, do you mean that Clayton's ride is (or is not) the "TBD" shown in southern WI on your colorful, official GS Giant Gypsy Tour map??

If it is, seems the only Gypsy ride that would be practical for those of us coming from the south.

If it's "special" and intended for a limited (dare I say "special") group, can you or Clayton please describe what makes it so?

Thanks again,
Mike

Ian, do you mean that Clayton's ride is (or is not) the "TBD" shown in southern WI on your colorful, official GS Giant Gypsy Tour map??

If it is, seems the only Gypsy ride that would be practical for those of us coming from the south.

If it's "special" and intended for a limited (dare I say "special") group, can you or Clayton please describe what makes it so?

Thanks again,
Mike

There are going to be two rides coming from the south.

One (the one in the colorful official illustration) will start on with a meetup on Sunday evening, July 20, at the Pikes Peak Park in Iowa. (Turns out that IA state parks are better and much cheaper) Riders will leave Monday morning and follow most of the Tran Wisconsin Adventure Trail ( :brow ). This will be a typical GS Gypsy Tour ride... all good for riders of varying skill levels.

The other is going to be "Clay's Way"... (and we all know how official Clay is!) ... a bit tougher ride that takes in a few OHV areas, and while not stupid hard, this ride is not recommended for beginning riders.

Both rides will end up on Tuesday, July 22 at the St. Croix Haven Campground.

WELL, I guess I'm not clear on issuing Cards for the game at hand??? Reading above, I see some are earning playing cards for showing up at camps every night, en route. Is my Medora, ND a Card gathering spot??? I be glad passing them out, if so:). I may have missed the Card Game rules and earning them, sorry if so... Enlighten me. Are the "Host"of each incoming group responsible for issuing cards?

I will send you cards.

Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules! We'll make things up as we go along.

What we need are PRIZES for winning card hands. Has everyone been hitting up potential sponsors on their Facebook pages?

Thanks!

There are going to be two rides coming from the south.

One (the one in the colorful official illustration) will start on with a meetup on Sunday evening, July 20, at the Pikes Peak Park in Iowa. (Turns out that IA state parks are better and much cheaper) Riders will leave Monday morning and follow most of the Tran Wisconsin Adventure Trail ( :brow ). This will be a typical GS Gypsy Tour ride... all good for riders of varying skill levels.

The other is going to be "Clay's Way"... (and we all know how official Clay is!) ... a bit tougher ride that takes in a few OHV areas, and while not stupid hard, this ride is not recommended for beginning riders.

Both rides will end up on Tuesday, July 22 at the St. Croix Haven Campground.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ian, I reckon I understand now. It's the dreaded Overhead Valve areas that make it special...

See you at Pikes Peak I guess... in Colorado, right? :D

IA Ride

Not to be to dense of a Noob - I've registered as a GS Giant, and I've friended the webpage... I'm here in the western burbs of Chicago, and hope to join the Giants on the TWAT ride North. How, do I make that happen? I see the info about the campground, but I'm hesitant to just show up at the IA Park. Also, last year the sand in the UP was quite a challenge for me. Will this ride encounter much of the Northern part of the TWAT with the sand?

Thanks for your help.

I've tried being all organized and stuff, but...

...it was like herding kittens. I usually post more info earlier, but the day job has gotten in the way.

We'll be sending e-mails soon to everyone who's registered and putting info up here for those who haven't, and then everyone can make their own plans.

If you make a reservation at Pikes Peak Park, or even if you just show up, you will definitely meet some new friends to ride with.

The route to the party at the end of the ride avoids the sand at the north end of the TWAT but there will probably be Sandy sections along the way. Don't worry, you won't break your bike and you'll have friends to help you pick it up! :ha Bring your GPS and ride around the parts that are over your head.

Don't worry, you'll have a great time. :nod

....and clarify again; will it be 2 nites at St Croix Haven Camp....arriving MOA on Thur? Or the Tusday afternoon arrival...ride trails Wed morning then off to St Paul Fairgrounds. ALL previous posts on days/dates for the grand "meet-up" don't seem to tell the story.
Hoping to register when I know more.

"travel'n" john

....and clarify again; will it be 2 nites at St Croix Haven Camp....arriving MOA on Thur? Or the Tusday afternoon arrival...ride trails Wed morning then off to St Paul Fairgrounds. ALL previous posts on days/dates for the grand "meet-up" don't seem to tell the story.
Hoping to register when I know more.

"travel'n" john

Nope, one night.

From the very first post in this thread:

Each ride starts with a meetup on Sunday, July 20th, with all rides coming together on Tuesday, July 22 in the St. Croix State Forest northeast of the Rally. We'll party that night and pound ground the next day, riding on excellent adventure roads down to the rally.

This means: from wherever you start, you end on Tuesday night at the St. Croix Haven campground, which is only about 2 hours-ish from the rally (via the fast way). On Wednesday, you could spend most of the day riding the dual sport roads in the area and then head over to the rally and check in on Wednesday evening.

Ian

The "WEST is BEST" is represented, FYI:)

Medora, North Dakota is NO.5 GSGiants gathering, JULY20. Medora has a wonderful website, featuring all its glory and area hot spots. Their campground, Medora Campground also is represented on the website, if you have a hankering to look see. IF ya find yourself coming from my direction(WEST), just come on in, the party starts Sunday afternoon, July20.... I will be there by mid afternoon and look forward to meeting up, sharing some tales of the road and just being a GSGiant:). Two days riding to St.Croix Haven GSGiant Base Camp for us. Monday evening will be most probable, Buffalo SP in Minnesota, just East of Fargo, OR Fort Ransom SP SE of Fargo, still in ND. Total miles, Medora to St.Croix area is roughly 575miles total. Two easy days of explore/adventure time:). SEE Yall. "Polarbear"

Medora ND gathering;

Entertainment? Apparently the town of MEDORA, ND puts on a nightly outdoor MUSICAL featuring the life and times of "Theodore Roosevelt", who made his mark in this region of the Badlands 100 years ago. 7:30 every night they do this show. Need a different break from the road, take this in, sounds cool:). Its very Western atmosphere and "gunfights in the streets"nearby are also acted out, reminding us of what once was, the VERY WILD WEST! Theodore Roosevelt National Park is less than a mile from our campground and wildlife is AWESOME there, not to mention the scenery. The Badlands are mostly associated with South Dakota, but the Badlands indeed stretch into N.Dakota and this is indeed Badlands North wing:). ALL this is on the "Little Missouri River", a National Scenic River. I be there on my GSA1200, camping and smiling and enjoying GSGiant life:). Happy Trails ALL.

sault ste marie

I will be going to the rally from NYC, and would have done the trek to St Paul alone and by pavement .. which after reading this thread my plan seems utterly boring.

My original plan would have passed sault ste marie and I was wondering if there is a group I can join from here? I have not been on gravel on ages, so I might be a bit rusty.

Thanks for the info and will we be getting more info as the date becomes closer? Such as the a meeting starting place in International Falls. Do we start from International Falls on the 20th or just meet there then? Anything else you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks.:thumb

Hi terpster,I will be doing the international falls run, I notice that you are from Winnipeg and I live SE of you in Steinbach.How do you fancy tagging up and riding down together?

GS Ride

Hi terpster,I will be doing the international falls run, I notice that you are from Winnipeg and I live SE of you in Steinbach.How do you fancy tagging up and riding down together?

That sounds great. Have you done this kind of ride before? I should also warn you that my job changes on short notice and I may have to cancel, so if you can live with that I would be glad to ride with you.

That sounds great. Have you done this kind of ride before? I should also warn you that my job changes on short notice and I may have to cancel, so if you can live with that I would be glad to ride with you.

I went on last years GS Giant ride to Salem and had a fantastic time,the other fellas were really friendly, great fun to be around and truly a nice bunch of blokes.
Everybody has bigger commitments and work is one of them,I had the rug pulled from beneath me this week due to work,I was going to meet up with a couple of pals from England and ride to BC and had to cancell at the 11th hour,so yes,Ican live with that.
if you want to give me a call on 326 4003 home we can sort a route out and departure time and,if you want,go for a ride out around Manitoba.Ask for Terry.

I went on last years GS Giant ride to Salem and had a fantastic time,the other fellas were really friendly, great fun to be around and truly a nice bunch of blokes.
Everybody has bigger commitments and work is one of them,I had the rug pulled from beneath me this week due to work,I was going to meet up with a couple of pals from England and ride to BC and had to cancell at the 11th hour,so yes,Ican live with that.
if you want to give me a call on 326 4003 home we can sort a route out and departure time and,if you want,go for a ride out around Manitoba.Ask for Terry.

I will give you a call probably after the long weekend as I am busy right now. Maybe we can meet for coffee sometime and get to know each other and then make some plans. :thumb

I will give you a call probably after the long weekend as I am busy right now. Maybe we can meet for coffee sometime and get to know each other and then make some plans. :thumb

Bloodyhell,you could of worded that a bit better,this is a motorcycle forum not a dating agency,if my Mrs sees that she'll let me tyres down.:)))

Righto then, call when your'e ready.

I will be going to the rally from NYC, and would have done the trek to St Paul alone and by pavement .. which after reading this thread my plan seems utterly boring.

My original plan would have passed sault ste marie and I was wondering if there is a group I can join from here? I have not been on gravel on ages, so I might be a bit rusty.

brinkja, I live by Albany, NY so chances you might be passing by me to head up North. I will take two days taking the scenic was to Sault Ste Marie to meet the Giants, if you want to join me, you are welcome to it
Neil

Back