• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is in Texas?

jlsquier

CamoGSA
My company is looking to transferring me to San Antonio Texas and was looking for some feedback on the ridding there. I was there once a few years back and did stop into the BMW dealer there to buy a shirt and was not impressed with the store or the people there, I might have caught them on a bad day but no one even greeted me when I walked in.

Some of the best

You'll just be centralized in some of the best riding in Texas! Lucky you! Can't say anything about the dealer as I have never been there. Had the same thing happen to me in Pennsylvania at Hermy's, going to Vermont in 06. Never said a word to me. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything.

My company is looking to transferring me to San Antonio Texas and was looking for some feedback on the ridding there. I was there once a few years back and did stop into the BMW dealer there to buy a shirt and was not impressed with the store or the people there, I might have caught them on a bad day but no one even greeted me when I walked in.

The Texas Hill Country is about a lot more than a BMW dealer! Some outstanding motorcycle roads are very near San Antonio. Overall, outside the cities that are like cities everywhere, Texas is motorcycle friendly place where , at least in the South, one can ride pretty much year around.

San Antonio

The dealer in San Antonio used to be in the downtown area, with not much floor space. Now he has moved out to a brand-new facility out the West side (the good side) of town, out I-10 (Boerne), and also has a go-kart track/business running on the property. There is a newfangled Ducati dealer just up an exit or two, and there is a Ferrari dealer in that area as well. While I visited there, near Boerne, a guy in Ford GT-40 blew by the dealership. In TX, the operative phrase I've heard is, "Hi-Dollar!". The west side takes you out towards Kerrville and other Hill-country areas I haven't explored on my bike, but plan to. The old location of the dealership was in an older section of town, and the dealer commented to me that he just had to move out to the west side, this was where his business was coming from. That's about all I know about them at this point.

Mark

SABMWRA club

While you are looking at coming down to San Antonio, check out the San Antonio BMW Riders Association web site at WWW.SABMWRA.org. The club is an active riding club with organized rides of some kind almost every weekend. If you come down for a visit, check with our callendar and come out to one of the rides or a Thursday night social. You will be welcome.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

Dealer in Bournie

I was on a trip on my new GW and I spotted the dealership as I blew by.
I had gotten off without any earplugs so I went back. Everyone at the dealership was very friendly. I asked to buy some earplugs and they dug through drawers and found some buy wouldn't sell them. They gave me two pair and wished me a nice trip. I thought it was a neat place. Small enough to be like a real motorcycle shop but very nice.

Lucky you!

You'll be a day's ride away from the crown in God's country -

BIG BEND National Park.

Voni
sMiling

We have been to Alamo BMW two times and they were very friendly to us both times, give them another try. The new location is easy to find and Rudy's BBQ is down the street.
You can't beat the Texas Hill Country north of San Antonio for great motorcycle roads.
IMG_0032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Okay heres' my two cents worth.

First: Those pretty Blue Bonnet pics couldn't have been taken this spring...we had so little rain that you'd be hard pressed to find any. Trust me, I looked.

Second: Alamo BMW in fact stunk as a dealership...I had the very same experience. The guy acted like I was interupting something when I walked in. Now however, they are seeking to improve their image by hiring a new sales manager. Customer service seems to be at the top of his priority list. So I'm willing to give them another try. But I'll still be taking my '04 RT to Rhinewest BMW in San Antonio for work...you could eat off their floor, and their wenching is great. Not a factory authorized shop, but a good one for both your car and bike.

Third: I live in Boerne (Burnee) just up the road from Alamo BMW. It's a great getting off point for some very good Hill Country riding. So if you're thinking about coming out, contact one of us with the San Antonio Riders Club and we'll show you around.

First: Those pretty Blue Bonnet pics couldn't have been taken this spring...we had so little rain that you'd be hard pressed to find any. Trust me, I looked.

You're right, the Blue Bonnet pictures are from 2007. We were not able to get any good wild flower pictures this spring.

Thanks for the input, I have contacted the President of the San Antonio BMW riders club and look forward to getting involved with the club, I canÔÇÖt wait to ride year round the weather to day in the Portland area will be RAIN and a high of 55 as it is much of the year. I did find a link that was pretty interesting I will share it with you http://www.openroadjourney.com/roads/Texas.asp it has routes that people have taken in the area. Look forward to seeing you on the road.

My company is looking to transferring me to San Antonio Texas and was looking for some feedback on the ridding there.

Well, it looks like you've gotten the input you need. The Hill Country is not the Alps, but it does have some fine riding with not a lot of traffic, and there are some TWISTY, challenging roads . . . one curve has a 10 MPH warning sign. We go over to the Hill Country from Houston several times each year just to ride it.

San Antonio is a wonderful city.....culturally diverse, and interesting. The arts are well represented, the restaurants are first class, the housing plentiful and less expensive than most places. I have had good experiences at Alamo BMW, but my service is also done at RhineWest, and I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone. The Hill Country is just a few minutes away, and it is a marvelous place to ride and tour. Eight hours to the West is Fort Davis and just South of that (you will pass Voni on the way, BTW) is Big Bend National and State Parks.....well worth the interesting ride down Highway 90 from San Antonio. There is much history, and many interesting things to do: for instance, two years ago my wife and I rode the approximate route of Davy Crockett (in reverse) when he came from Tennessee to San Antonio. I love San Antonio, home of the four-time NBA Champion Spurs! PM me if your are interested in knowing more.

Paul and Voni are there and that is reason enough for a BMW owner. :D

They are currently in Alaska on GS 650's and having a great time.

Texas has a HUGE heart!

Corpus Christi and Padre Island are fantastic areas to ride! Great food, extremely friendly locals, Big IS Texas!

Maybe somebody out there would know; can you still ride anywhere you want along the beach on North Padre?

It was a major kick to do that a few years back!

Red

Back