• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cell Phone Use in Canada

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Question for our Canadian members, especially those from the western provinces and territory.

I travel in Canada often, mostly in BC and the Yukon. Seems no matter what kind of deal I make with my cell company and despite my best efforts to limit the use of my phone, I end up with substantial additionial charges when traveling in Canada. I am considering buying a TracPhone or other similar disposable phone the next time I'm up north. I will appreciate any advice or info I can get from those who have experience using such phones in Canada. How's coverage? Cost to buy/use? Does the time expire or roll over indefinately? Good place to buy? Canadian Tire?

Thanks for your help.

Not exactly what you were asking, but a US Sprint phone is relatively cheap if you add Canada roaming. AT&T is more, but works in more places on rogers and telus, at least in the Atlantic provinces. Just FYI. The data bundle isn't too much, at least for the few weeks I spend there each year.

I looked into the tracfone too, but never did it. Minutes do expire.

There are service features on cell phones that you can turn off to cut costs while travelling in Canada. One is the internet. My nephew was using that when here and ran up a huge bill. I think if you just use the phone for calls and texting it will significantly reduce the charges.

Minutes do expire.

Tom, the minutes on my Tracfone do not expire, but rather, accumulate.

Kevin, I don't about a cheap way to use a cell phone in Canada (I use a Tracfone in the US). I use ONESuite ([http://www.onesuite.com/), as well as my Tracfone. For a nominal fee, I access the 800 # and then put in my code and then the # I wish to dial. When out of my local area in Canada, this is the service I use.

Best of luck, as Canada has one of the most expensive fees for cell phone use. :dunno

Bought a cheap phone from 7/11 that can be unlocked & has a removable sim card.
I have a Canadian sim card & a US sim card.

Loved TracFone for Canada travel.

It often had service when others didn't because they contract with all the services.

I love that I know exactly what it costs me.

Phone only. No data use for me.

Voni
sMiling

Just that it used 2 minutes in Canada for every minute in the US. Now it's one for one.

I got a deal where I had a phone for a year and something like 500 minutes for $98.00.

Web deals worked the best for me, but that was a few years ago.

Go here:
http://www.tracfoneild.com/?AID=ILDHPB

Back