• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Today may be my last day of BMW ownership!

I've worked in and around the automotive and motorcycle business quite a few years of my adult life. I've seen so many people make mistakes so I don't consider it peeing in someone's cornflakes. I like to consider it subtle information dissemination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've worked in and around the automotive and motorcycle business quite a few years of my adult life. I've seen so many people make mistakes so I don't consider it peeing in someone's cornflakes. I like to consider it subtle information dissemination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can spin it any way you want. You are still rip'n on a persons new ride.

Well, I guess I have drank more BMW KoolAid than I had realized. The ST was amazingly smooth...rode great, exceptional torque, ultra quiet, good weather protection, very nimble at slow speeds, ultra slick clutch, but.....there is always a 'but'.....it was not as stable as the RT. Not as comfortable ergonomically and the interstate was kinda spooky the way it was pushed around by the trucks at 70 mph! Just didn't 'feel' right.

Got back on the RT and rode for 100 miles. I guess I like the RT more than I had thought:scratch It felt good under my butt, it handled better than I remembered, and that goofy boxer motor thump wasn't as bad as I was thinking. Now, if I can just get rid of the SURGING!!! :banghead:banghead

The surge is what is making a great motorcycle not so great!

I am as fickle as a woman! Who knows what I want! But, my favorite phrase sums it up, "The best you know is the best you've had" so I will keep trying!

The dealer did invite me back to test ride a Goldwing!!:dance

Got back on the RT and rode for 100 miles. I guess I like the RT more than I had thought:scratch It felt good under my butt, it handled better than I remembered, and that goofy boxer motor thump wasn't as bad as I was thinking.

There isn't anything out there like the RT. I really love the Boxer motor. The low center of gravity just handles the wind amazingly.

For an old man the RT is significantly lighter than either an ST or FJR or a Triumph Trophy.

There isn't anything out there like the RT. I really love the Boxer motor. The low center of gravity just handles the wind amazingly.

For an old man the RT is significantly lighter than either an ST or FJR or a Triumph Trophy.

Funny thing is, before I left the dealership, I did a few figure 8's on the parking lot to get the feel for the Honda, and it was WAYYY more nimble than the BMW. The low speed steering was very light and easy...maybe the geometry is a little different than the BMW, and that lightness at low speed makes it twitchy at high speed?

The Honda is a wonderful bike, and if I didn't have already experienced the BMW, I would have bought it today.

Enjoy! :thumb Are you trying anything else?

I thought about signing up, but can't decide. :D

Just the RT, nothing else that is on the radar currently. The GS is still tons of fun and too farkled up to consider replacing it.

I am as fickle as a woman!

It's fortunate that you have enough experience to quickly figure out that the ST isn't for you; there's no fickleness about it. I was interested in your comments about the instability and wonder whether the bike has a significantly higher centre of mass than the Boxer.

Anyway, the Oiler is a pretty tough bike to improve upon. The Honda model that has always fascinated me is the VFR1200F, but I haven't had a chance to ride one.

As for the surging, an AF-XIED should fix that.

I was interested in your comments about the instability and wonder whether the bike has a significantly higher centre of mass than the Boxer.....

The seat position and general feel of the ST was noticeably lower than the RT...I easily flat footed the Honda, but not so on my RT. I don't know why it is pushed around like it was, but I have since read that others say the same thing.

Oh yeh, I forgot the most important thing, the GF said it was a lot windier for her, no matter where the windshield was placed. There was quite a bit more room between us on the Honda as compared to the BMW.

Back in the 90s, when the ST1100s first came out, I rode my K100RS 16v over to the Honda dealer to check one out. I wanted to do a back-to-back comparison.

The K was buzzy, made very little power in the mid-range, and had much hot air coming from the radiators. The ST was smooth as glass and rev'd out effortlessly, pulling strongly right from the bottom. It seemed like it would go way beyond what the red line said. All of a sudden I was going 80mph with so little drama that it stunned me.

And... that is kind of the story, it was kind of like riding a refrigerator ... a little lacking in the soul department.

Now that I am 30 years older, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I bet you really like the bike. :nod

Here's the Honda I want.... a CRF 1000 :burnout

(I am also waiting for them to upsize the CRF250 into a 300/350)

There was a CRF 450 Rally bike shown in Cycle World a year back or so and it had the sexiest twin tail fuel cell on it.

Wayne Koppa
71,449 Life

........Got back on the RT and rode for 100 miles. I guess I like the RT more than I had thought:scratch......

I love it when I get the urge for a different scoot then do a test ride and realize I like my current ride more. I have done that more than once.

... I guess I like the RT more than I had thought:.... Now, if I can just get rid of the SURGING!!! :banghead:banghead

I'm fortunate in that my 94 R1100RS has never had the surging problem - I thought that it did at one time, but it was me over and under compensating for the very rapid response to minor throttle movement. My solution was a wrist-rest from Bob's. Early days with the oilhead folks tried various remedies. I don't know the path that you traveled. But, if you've not seen the compilation of information on the IBMWR website, there may be something there that can help.

http://ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

I have multiple bikes and more than just BMW. It doesn't bother me to take something other than BMW to a BMW rally - it is the same folks at the airhead tent and beer garden, regardless of what I rode. I don't know if I understand about a bike having "soul". To me the ride is about what I see and experience along the way. If an old airhead breaks down and the anonymous book leads to meeting a good person that helps get back on the road, is that unreliability, "soul", or just circumstances? I don't know. I've had some pretty good rides on a variety of bikes. One was on a old k75s, purchased used in Calif., then ridden across the US. My impression was of a smooth, reliable bike (i.e., no problems), but what really stands out was crossing Yosemite Park, Nevada's loneliest highway, Utah (wow, got to go back there), Colorado (wow, again), then the sprint across Ks, Mo, Il, In, and into Oh as the temperatures started warming up.

I've ridden a big Harley to Texas and several times down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Don't recall too much about the bike, but the ride was good, no problems (other than rain - the big HD doesn't divert rain in the best way for the rider). And I've had quiet a few trips on airheads and my oilhead. Most were pretty uneventful for me, but some riding buddies had mini-adventures - the anonymous book is worth many times the cost of MOA membership!!! As I said, I don't know about "soul" of a bike, but I've had some memorable rides on a number of different bikes - actually I'm not sure that I've had any "bad" rides, just some had better weather than others.

After being a loyal BMW owner with 4 BMWs over 16 or 17 years, my last BMW left me late last summer. I feel BMW abandoned me more than I abandoned BMW. I accepted and struggled with my first 3 BMWs that were taller than my short inseam was comfortable with. My 4th BMW was a R1200CLC that was low enough for me to be comfortable but the weight became a problem as I became Medicare eligible. I bought BMWs in part because the Brick K and Boxer engines were unique. I didn't want a BMW that was designed like the Asian bikes. If I wanted a thumper, vertical twin or transverse multi-cylinder engine, frequently with chain or belt drive, I would buy much cheaper from the companies that have done it for decades.

I first deviation from BMW started when I bought a Burgman 400 Maxi-Scooter to replace my beautiful old R80RT because I wanted something to run errands on that was convenient and easy to ride. It was neat to get 60+MPG and still be able to carry a week's worth of groceries under the seat. I sold the R80RT and kept my R1200CLC for touring on the open road. I was struck in the rear last July and the little Burgman was totaled. I replaced the Burgman 400 with a loaded Burgman 650 Maxi-Scooter that had every available farkle installed. The travel trunk, GPS, backrest, cruise, etc. made it an excellent touring bike with the better wind protection. I discovered I wasn't riding my R1200CLC much at all and when I did, it felt like work due to the weight and awkwardness when compared to the Burgman. Since I wasn't riding it, I sold it. About the time the new owner pulled out of my driveway with my last motorcycle, I realized I wanted a motorcycle to sit in my garage along with my maxi-scooter. I decided to search Craigs List for a mid-sized cruiser (short inseam) to putter around on because it would be easy to ride. I found a little V-Star 650 Custom midnight special with 700 miles on it and $1,000 of farkles already installed (windshield, saddle bags, floor boards, barbacks, luggage rack, etc). It was like new and my offer of $3,600 was accepted.

Last year, my garage had 2 BMW motorcycles in it. This year, it has a Suzuki scooter, a Yamaha cruiser, a Honda dirt bike and a Kawasaki ATV along with a Kia Optima (which replaced a Chevrolet Impala which replaced a Lincoln Town Car that replaced a Buick Park Avenue that replaced a Subaru). My Ford Escape beater has been replaced with a Chrysler PT Cruiser beater. The only constant has been my Ford pickup (which replaced a Toyota Pickup that replaced a Dodge pickup).

Even though I have a problem with brand loyalty, the loyalty to the lady I married in 1968 has remained.

I've had aK100 , A oilhead RT , and I still fall back to my R100rt. The top heavy and way to hot and buzzy K Bike .Then the 1100rt Way to much to strip plastic and various maintanence things. But I still get a smile on my lighter r100rt,maybe because I put the bulk of my miles on airheads and they are simpler to work on after maintaining it over the years.It's what I have been used to.I rode my bro's 1800 Goldwing,WHAT A HEAVY PIG! and crappy gas mileage.Then he really goes down the toilet with a new 2013 Harley bager O' crap! handles like poo.A headach with stuff failing vibing off tranny breaking 3 new radios and various electrical problems all before it even has 5000 on it! no thank you. I am sticking with what is familiar to me this is key!

Funny, lots of talk about 'no soul' on certain bikes. That's the way it is with this R1100RT. I just don't feel the connection. It is the most beautiful bike ever. It has great weather protection. It holds a ton of gear. But I feel like I am riding on a tractor! That boxer motor does nothing to excite me! The K100 I had before this was a different story. Loved riding it but it was just too cramped for a 6' 2" guy, and lacked the nice things that modern bikes have. But I loved to ride it. It broke down 3 times on a 3000 mile trip to N. Carolina, but I never cussed it once!

The Honda ST1300 may not be the bike I crave, but something has got to be out there for me!:banghead

I want Goldwing comfort, K1300GT speed, nimble like my son's Majesty scooter, and reliability like my '94 Corolla. Is that so much to ask?:scratch

Interesting on your assessment of the R1100RT. That's pretty much how I feel about my 06 R1200RT. The engine at idle reminds of a tractor as well. The most uninspiring power delivery of any bike with more than 60 hp I have owned. The horsepower rating is supposedly 110 @ the crank IIRC. Feels like around 80 to my butt dyno. The RT shines in other areas though and that is why I have not gotten something else to replace it. Extremely good handling in the twisties. More comfortable than anything I have ridden except for a Goldwing. The outstanding weather protection is another huge plus for me. I don't know of a better two up bike, except for the Goldwing. I also have become quite spoiled by the excellent cruise control.

As for other bikes, have you checked out the latest Yamaha FJR1300? I got a short demo ride on one a month or so ago and was very impressed with it. I liked it so much that I am considering it as a replacement for my RT.

Back