• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Roundel NOT a Propeller

Back in the days of 3.5 inch floppy disks, I had a driver interactive program/game from BMW I got through BMWCCA somehow. At any rate, in the intro, the program featured an airplane propeller spinning, eventually becoming the BMW Roundel on the title page.

Go Figure

Anyone who knows anything about "the legendary Fokker Triplane of 1917" knows that it was powered by an air-cooled Oberursel rotary
I

Interestingly, the Oberusel was a copy of the French Le Rh??ne Rotary Engine, sometimes captured engines were used due to superior materials and the HP ratings of the German Oberusels tended to be somewhat fictional. BMW was later licensed by Pratt & Whitney to produce their radial engine, used in the JU-52 & other WW2 aircraft.

That's Blau mit Weiss. You're welcome. :p

Actually, the Bavarians always call it weiss mit blau or just weiss-blau. For whatever reason, the white always comes first. The colors and the lozenge flag are supposed to represent the fluffy white clouds in the blue Bavarian sky...

I love this club. It's like a BIG dysfunctional family.
We argue about everything! :ha :bolt

This is a discussion, not an argument. We got rid of the DGT and the Tavern so we wouldn't argue.

What it is is a white circle divided into quarters with every other section colored blue. Beyond that, it is whatever one wants it to be.

That's REAL close. But let me make a minor correction.

Actually this is a support group for all us dysfunctional people with a motorcycle addition addiction.

:bikes

What were we talking about? :)

Oh, yeah. The roundel. I think people prefer the propeller legend so I don't think that story line is going anywhere. But it's great to know the history, nonetheless.

Having read all of the posts in this thread, I still have a lingering question that seems unanswered.

Which oil should I use to lubricate the spinning propeller inside of the Roundel?

:dunno

Just swab your finger through some you find under a [name of US M/C manufacturer withheld] and dab it on the prop. Now THAT will add some class to your otherwise boring ride.......:brad

Back