• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone ever look at arranging for an MOA member to move their bike from A to B?

tman9999

My buddy and I are planning our 'big adventure' from Bay Area to Glacier National Park, looking at doing a 10-day roadtrip in August 2014. To save time we decided to fly to Spokane, and initially looked at renting bikes there. Plan B is to use a bike mover (Daily Direct) to ship our bikes there, and then ship them back home when we're done.

Then it occurred to me, what about finding a couple MOA members based in the Bay Area who are up for riding our bikes (2004 K12GT, 2012 R12GS) from San Francisco to Spokane, and paying their airfare to get back home?

We'd still have to find a way to get the bikes back home again after our ride. If we didn't find anyone who wanted to ride them, we could still use the bike mover.

Anyone ever tried organizing a trip this way before? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Then it occurred to me, what about finding a couple MOA members based in the Bay Area who are up for riding our bikes (2004 K12GT, 2012 R12GS) from San Francisco to Spokane, and paying their airfare to get back home?

If my wife and I lived in the Bay area, we would be all over that deal :)

Sounds like a good idea. Make sure to check with your insurance company to make sure that there is no exclusion for letting someone else ride your bike.

Consider the other direction. We live in Helena, MT. (1120 miles), Spokane is 880 miles. Get someone from MT to fly to SF and ride them back. Helena is 200 miles from Glacier; 200 miles from Yellowstone and 250-275 miles from Beartooth Pass / Chief Joseph Hwy. You could see and do a great deal.

And if you are worried, most here could give you several references for their skill, or lack of from their riding friends.

Most here I would guess are pretty competent riders

My buddy and I are planning our 'big adventure' from Bay Area to Glacier National Park, looking at doing a 10-day roadtrip in August 2014. To save time we decided to fly to Spokane, and initially looked at renting bikes there. Plan B is to use a bike mover (Daily Direct) to ship our bikes there, and then ship them back home when we're done.

We'd still have to find a way to get the bikes back home again after our ride. If we didn't find anyone who wanted to ride them, we could still use the bike mover.

Anyone ever tried organizing a trip this way before? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I gotta ask..why not just do the trip yourselves?

Two notes if I may...a friend of mine bought a motorcycle in Florida, he flew from California to get it and rode it home.

Another friend...long story, I'll shorten, had a huge dog, he did not own a car, only a motorcycle. He sold his belongings & moved west for a new job. What to do with the dog? Well a group of guys got together, & relayed the dog from Pennsylvania to Oregon....I'd luv to know what the dog was thinking....LOL!

I gotta ask..why not just do the trip yourselves?

I'm a big fan of the ride. On this trip we're travelling two-up with wives. It's almost 900 miles to Spokane for us, and we're planning on doing a big loop up into Canada, back to Spokane, with some two-night stopovers along the way. All of us work and have limited amounts of vacation time, so need to maximize the time we've got. We decided we'd be better off flying to our starting point and either renting bikes or shipping ours, rather than burn up three or four days just to get to our planned ride.

Sad, but true (for now). When we're retired such will not be the case!!

And if you are worried, most here could give you several references for their skill, or lack of from their riding friends.
Most here I would guess are pretty competent riders

Zactly! That's why I posted it up here. I put it up on ADVRider just to see what their reaction would be. They're mostly against the idea - "too risky to let someone else ride your bike" is the prevailing sentiment. Not surprising. And also why I figured our MOA community would be much more open to the idea - for exactly the reasons you state, PFFOG.

And yes, NATRAB, would need to confirm with insurance company that this would be ok to do - although I can't see why not. AFAIK I can let anyone I want drive my car on a casual basis and if something happens my insurance covers them. But yes, definitely would check that out.

I'm a big fan of the ride. On this trip we're travelling two-up with wives. It's almost 900 miles to Spokane for us, and we're planning on doing a big loop up into Canada, back to Spokane, with some two-night stopovers along the way. All of us work and have limited amounts of vacation time, so need to maximize the time we've got. We decided we'd be better off flying to our starting point and either renting bikes or shipping ours, rather than burn up three or four days just to get to our planned ride.

Sad, but true (for now). When we're retired such will not be the case!!

Gotcha!....limited vacation is a pain...

Another thought ? Rent a trailer and tow the M/Cs . Ride the area , tow home. Locally they rent for about 20 dollars p/day + deposit. Some younger friends of mine [usually two couples] do that, take turns driving [to cover more ground]. And it gives them more time at their destination....they have a ball!!

Zactly! That's why I posted it up here. I put it up on ADVRider just to see what their reaction would be. They're mostly against the idea - "too risky to let someone else ride your bike" is the prevailing sentiment. Not surprising. And also why I figured our MOA community would be much more open to the idea - for exactly the reasons you state, PFFOG.

And yes, NATRAB, would need to confirm with insurance company that this would be ok to do - although I can't see why not. AFAIK I can let anyone I want drive my car on a casual basis and if something happens my insurance covers them. But yes, definitely would check that out.

I have Progressive and I asked them that question when I bought the policy when they asked "will there be anyone else riding your motorcycle?". So I wanted clarification. When I asked the agent did he mean on a regular basis, or, could I let my buddy ride it occasionally. The agent said that it was only someone who would be riding it on a regular basis.

Still would check with your company to be sure.

I've ridden my bike from home, Nashville, IL to Oregon and would be happy to have you fly me to SF, ride your bike to your starting point, and then have you fly me back home. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I have a slightly different take. I live in the bay area and have a riding buddy and we must have almost 90yrs of combined riding experience and both MSF instructors but I would balk at volunteering us to ride someone else's bikes that far.

I don't know what your riding skills or endurance is like but it is really just a long one day ride from SF to Spokane, 875 miles.

I don't know what your riding skills or endurance is like but it is really just a long one day ride from SF to Spokane, 875 miles.

I've done a few 900 mile days solo that were not too bad, but I would not want to ride two up for 900 miles.
On the slab I would consider 875 miles two days, and if the roads are the nice two lane California roads, it turns into 3 days.

If the OP has a vehicle that can pull two bikes and comfortably haul 4 adults and the gear, I would haul the bikes 1,000 miles in one day with everyone taking turns driving.
But, and this is a big but, not many people own a full size quad cab truck that will work for this trip.

Consider having the riders cover the deductible if something happens. This should be in writing. I don't care how much experience you have, sometimes shi* happens, and you fall over in a parking lot. Trust me, a parking lot tip over for a K1200GT/RS is not cheap.

This summer a friend's K1200RS fell over on another friend's K1200GT. $1400.00. They're still friends.

We can beat that :)
My wife's 03 K1200RS Zebra fell from the centerstand and clipped the back of my K1200RS Zebra, pushing it forward off of the centerstand. Replacing every bent, broken, and scratched part cost over $8,000. Body panels were replaced with pre painted panels.
I think the dealer made more money on the repair then they did selling us the bikes.

Sounds like a good idea. Make sure to check with your insurance company to make sure that there is no exclusion for letting someone else ride your bike.

I checked with my agent and they initially said "no, other riders are not covered on your bike." So I pressed them, and asked them if they could please confirm that, and then send me a copy of my full policy and show direct me to the page where it says that.

She comes back today and says basically 'oops - sorry - got that wrong.' And then goes on to explain that other riders are in fact covered as long as I have given them permission to ride my bike. In effect the same policy coverage that applies to my car applies to my bikes - that's the way the policy is written. Where they got this idea that my bikes weren't covered I'll never know. I mean, what the heck were they thinking? "Let's just make something up since we don't know" ??? Sheesh.

Now, as for all those generous offers to let me fly you from all over the country to ride my bike - thank you so much for the interest. What I'd really like to find is someone who is based around here (or in WA) who I could arrange the ride with.

Anyway, we've got lots of time to plan this, but I am interested in exploring this option - at least until I come up with a better idea.

Back