• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rot rally austin texas

tthouses

capt. paul
Is anyone coming in for the Austin ROT Rally this weekend? Would like to hook up with some beemer riders amongst the throngs of Harley riders. I live in Central Austin. We could meet at my place and take off or if anyone knows of a group please let me know.
Regards,
Paul Violand
Austin
tthouses@sbcglobal.net

used to live in the middle of the craziness that weekend brings, do not miss the 24/7 rumble...it will be a busy weekend all over the area...keep your eyes open. I expect the 98 degree weather will melt a few folks:hungover
Actually saw two beemers in the parade on Congress Ave two years ago...actually 6 counting the RTP Austin Moto LEO's

Have fun, I'm headed the other way

Few years ago I went into Lone Star BMW to pick up my new to me GS. Guess what weekend it was, Yep ROT ! Asked the Sales guy what is the deal with all the HD's? Thought he was going to bust a gut. I had never herd of ROT, and other than picking up my GS and getting back out of town that is all I had to do with it. That Friday Morning Lone Star was deserted, other than me and a bike tow truck guy. His cell phone was going off like it was a pinball game, he said it will be like this all weekend.
Will not be there again this year,(will not miss it either) Headed to Ar. to a vintage Rally.

Ahhhh...yes, it's that time of year...rode in to town for dinner and hit three groups out on US 281...the first set widened to a three wide formation when I approached at the posted speed...lovely sportsmanship I must say... They all had helmets ,but not much more. I waved anyways as I made my way around them. And I was a former HD owner and still...no respect:dunno SEEYA...

I will go further west and south this weeknd since I am at a major crossroad pass thru to Luckenbach and the Shade Tree Saloon near Twin Sisters which is always busy at ROT...

just looked at the radar...huge cell moving into Austin... That will make things intersting out at the rally grounds for sure this evening...

Last edited:
Last night two large trailers (Texas plates), each carrying 3 HDs pulled into the neighborhood here in SA. Visiting relatives, I guess. Wonder if, as I am heading out with my trailer behind my RT tomorrow for New Mexico, they will be making the long trek to Austin to ROT?:scratch

If you must ride this weekend, be safe and watch out for all the amateurs...:hungover

Anybody got a death toll??:wave

Kind of a downer question...Any large gathering/rally has this happen...even amongst the BMW family.

Fortunately this year fewer reported incidents. Friday night a bike rear ended a truck and threw both riders off sadly killing the female passenger. Saturday morning a married couple from near Houston on a sportbike missed a corner on a popular twisty route and both perished. It's not a particular brand any time, it's just a lot of first time riders out of their capabilities. The sportbike owner had 6 mos seat time according to father in law.
Helmets were mentioned in one report, nothing in the second.
Prayers and thoughts to the families impacted by this.

Kind of a downer question...Any large gathering/rally has this happen...even amongst the BMW family.

Fortunately this year fewer reported incidents. Friday night a bike rear ended a truck and threw both riders off sadly killing the female passenger. Saturday morning a married couple from near Houston on a sportbike missed a corner on a popular twisty route and both perished. It's not a particular brand any time, it's just a lot of first time riders out of their capabilities. The sportbike owner had 6 mos seat time according to father in law.
Helmets were mentioned in one report, nothing in the second.
Prayers and thoughts to the families impacted by this.

It is a dower question, I guess ask to bring up the dangers of any large gathering and yes BMW events are not exempted. The last Top O the Rockies I attended a gentleman lost his life. But these gathering where so many, as you pointed out first time, and "Occasional Riders" make up a large percentage of the participates, it seems the odds are much higher for fatalities. Any lost of life is sad to say the least, and yes I pray for the souls lost and the families they leave behind.

The ROT promoters have seemingly lost their minds IMHO by opening three onsight bars this year on the grounds. I know we have our own beer tent at our National, but the crowds make up and mentality are way different in my experience from going to both. They did actually ban under 18 from the site this year with all the after hours" look at me folks" baring stuff none of us really want to see. Naked burnouts by chubby sunburned dudes & dudettes is not pretty. That said, it appears they contained the drinkers in the compound by doing that maybe as there were not as many incidents reported near the rally site as in the past. Either that or blind luck.
There were so many new bikes on the road this past weekend, we stayed home Saturday and went further from the scene as possible this morning. Listening in on a group sitting by us at lunch and sneering at me with gear on my chair in our little town the other day and 4 out of the 6 had just bought bikes that week!I had noticed the paper plates and figured as much. I said "have a great visit and rally", they pretty much blew me off. The police in our area have been busy. Hopefully all made it home without further incidents.
From what I could tell and from the TV coverage, the attendance is waning...maybe it has peaked or the economy also has taken it's bite out of it.

Ohhhhh, it was a MOTORCYCLE rally! I thought the Chamber of Commerce had landed the largest trailer convention in America!

Seriously, it was scary out on the roads Saturday. I knew about the unfortunate deaths, but I've wondered how many people were injured in wrecks. The local news media didn't mention a word.

EDIT: on another forum, a regular poster is an Austin EMS commander, general, something high up. His opinion, based on the paperwork he saw (hard to pin it down because all MV accidents are classified the same), there were, and I quote, "way more than 100" incidents requiring EMS attendance. Lotta very bummed out people.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh, it was a MOTORCYCLE rally! I thought the Chamber of Commerce had landed the largest trailer convention in America!

Seriously, it was scary out on the roads Saturday. I knew about the unfortunate deaths, but I've wondered how many people were injured in wrecks. The local news media didn't mention a word.

I often wonder about the politics and large money...the chamber of commerce forecasts for weekends and holidays as an example. The news does go after the helmet issue on almost every incident.
Had to be a few emergency room stories out there.

Blanco was crazy with the passer thrus

Shucks......I missed it. We headed out, pulling out trailer, West on Highway 90 last Saturday morning. Returned this week, 1900 miles and 6 days later, after our visit to Red River, NM. Much better than any rally!!:clap

Hi Hugh:wave

It got too close to us...back to normal this weekend

How was the trip out west?

Hey, Steve.

The trip was a study in contrasts. 107 near Van Horn on Saturday....then we smelled rain and the temp dropped to 77 in about 45 seconds as the rain started. Happened to us three times during the trip......very refreshing break each time. 36 degrees on Wednesday morning leaving Red River at 8700 feet. 15 miles and 2000 feet later, it was 60. When we got to Sweetwater, Tx that evening it was 103. Carlsbad Caverns was the most amazing thing I had ever seen in my life.....a must see if you have never done so. Walked down for almost an hour to get to the Big Room - 660,000 square feet of space, 800 ft down. Red River was beautiful, but cold. Bobcat pass at 9820 feet is the highest point we crossed. A great trip. :)

Sounds like a fun adventure...I have done Carlsbad,but want to take Helen next pass thru...if nothing else, it's nice and cool! It is rather huge and recall the long walk down and back out as we didn't use the elevators.

We have stopped in Red River a few times when basing out of Taos...nice riding for sure and def cooler than here!

Rain? what the heck is that?...we still have gotten ZERO in the past month...goes around us everytime.

Glad you made it back with no major issues...

Back