• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

On Wisconsin!

If you live in Madison you must have snow by now. I live in Menasha and we have been getting pelted with snow since the last week of November. Now that sucks.
I can deal with a mere 'pelting'. But two days of blizzard conditions under 5?? is really beginning to suck out loud. I cleared one pesky recurring drift out of my driveway five times in the 24 hours beginning at 11:00 Sunday morning. And it doesn't just blow out. That stuff is dense. Too dense to shovel. Too dense to push with the tractor. Too dense to just drive the blower through. It takes repeated assaults and an artistic touch to get through it without completely destroying the blower. I think I have already moved more snow since Thanksgiving than I did all of last year. :banghead

I can deal with a mere 'pelting'. But two days of blizzard conditions under 5?? is really beginning to suck out loud. I cleared one pesky recurring drift out of my driveway five times in the 24 hours beginning at 11:00 Sunday morning. And it doesn't just blow out. That stuff is dense. Too dense to shovel. Too dense to push with the tractor. Too dense to just drive the blower through. It takes repeated assaults and an artistic touch to get through it without completely destroying the blower. I think I have already moved more snow since Thanksgiving than I did all of last year. :banghead

But on the bright side we'll definately have a white X-mas :) .

:bolt

I have 18" in the yard right now.

I bought an 8hp 26" Toro last spring to replace a 25 year old Ahrens. Gave that New Toro to my mother for X-mas, Got an OHV 11hp 28" Commercial unit to replace it! Muuhahhahhaaa!

I actually do the sides of the street down the block so the street stays wide. I live near a high school and the kids speeding down a street 12 ft less wide would be a bad thing. Plus I have a lot of elderly neighbors and ladies without snow blowers. i do a lot of drives, or at least the ends where the plows dumped. I LIKE doing it!

And now rain?? Apparently tomorrow we're getting T-storms. Just what we need on top of frozen ground and all that snow - rain. In preparation, I ran the snowblower around the perimeter of my house (yep-on the grass) and created a 10 foot snow-free zone to reduce the chance of my basement getting wet. I hope it works. What a crazy winter!

And now rain?? Apparently tomorrow we're getting T-storms. Just what we need on top of frozen ground and all that snow - rain. In preparation, I ran the snowblower around the perimeter of my house (yep-on the grass) and created a 10 foot snow-free zone to reduce the chance of my basement getting wet. I hope it works. What a crazy winter!

I have a sump but that's a good idea. Or at least drains away from the house so the water has somewhere to go.

Yeah - if water pools around the perimiter of your house, it might not make it to the drain tile or sump - kinda like not having rain gutters. It will just seep in wherever it can - usually at the joint between floor and wall. Best to avoid that all together.

So far it's been a nice, slow melt off, but the rain is on it's way. Could get ugly. Our yard does pitch gently downhill from the house so I snow plowed channels perpendicular to the house so the snowplowed area wouldn't fill up like a moat. My neighbors probably think I'm nuts, but better safe than sorry.

My next step is a battery back-up sump pump for power outages, or better yet, an automatic back-up whole house generator.

Back