• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newbie from Moto Heaven in East Tenn

reactortrip

glows in the dark
Just joined up. I live just 35 miles or so from the gap and spent some years up there and the surrounding area learning to ride. Sold my 07 600RR off earlier this week, man that was hard. That was my dream sportbike. I had grown tired of missing out on the ride and acting like a hooligan. What really put me over the edge was a couple of road trips I took with a good friend during the spring and had a blast, although a bit (well a lot) uncomfortable on the RR for any major miles. Decided to get out of that racket and get on a bike that I could enjoy a bit of on/off road and bring my wife along on some road trips. Looking to get a 08 or newer 1200GS. If you know of any within a day or two trip of me, send the sellers my way.

Been planning a trip out west since last year with the same buddy above, so hope to take this bike through a good many miles.

GS'er here:)Welcome

First post, wow! Its a nightmare out here, just kidd'in:). Offroader all my life, at 56 now having tons of fun. Today on a R1200GSA and its no exception, still going offroad, falling off, etcetc.:). Its also my main touring bike and I'll be riding to Tennessee in two weeks from CA. on it. Fantastic bikes and even two up on dirt, it can do it if your passenger has GRIT! hehehe. I grew up in VA, half my life and it will be really good to get back there again on a bike. Its been a lot of years absent. Good luck, keep your eyes peeled for the used ones pop up frequently. I recommend the Adventure1200, a biased opinion of course, as I have one. Be tall to ride it. I'm 6' and tiptoe a lot:). Happy Trails, Randy:thumb:usa

Randy - welcome aboard.

You're looking at a great choice of bike applicable to many types and styles of riding.

When you get it - post a picture of it.

Great stuff here, lots of information, tips and general comraderie.

Check in often.

Luis

First post, wow! Its a nightmare out here, just kidd'in:). Offroader all my life, at 56 now having tons of fun. Today on a R1200GSA and its no exception, still going offroad, falling off, etcetc.:). Its also my main touring bike and I'll be riding to Tennessee in two weeks from CA. on it. Fantastic bikes and even two up on dirt, it can do it if your passenger has GRIT! hehehe. I grew up in VA, half my life and it will be really good to get back there again on a bike. Its been a lot of years absent. Good luck, keep your eyes peeled for the used ones pop up frequently. I recommend the Adventure1200, a biased opinion of course, as I have one. Be tall to ride it. I'm 6' and tiptoe a lot:). Happy Trails, Randy:thumb:usa

I was considering a GSA, but don't need that much gas so I didn't really want to add more weight to that fat pig. :laugh If I found one at a good price with the options I wanted, I would consider it though, so I haven't fully ruled one out. This will be a more street oriented bike though with some forest service roads and light off road, I have a DRZ400 that is pretty much fully off road now. It's beaten me up pretty good over it's life. I really enjoyed dual sportin with it and it would be nice to bring the wife along, since she has no interest in learning to ride.

Just found out the rally is in my neck of the woods. Signed up.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Don't forget to look at This List of bikes for sale in addition to our own flea market.

Let us know when you find your new bike and be sure to post a picture.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Don't forget to look at This List of bikes for sale in addition to our own flea market.

Let us know when you find your new bike and be sure to post a picture.

Thanks, been keeping my eyes peeled on a number of sources for a good deal.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you will have fun at the rally. Just ot of curiosity...how do these guys know your name is Randy...:dunno

Thanks

Not sure, considering my name is Nick. :laugh

Well here's an update, bought an 08 1200GS and first thing I did with it was show up at the BMWMOA. I left friday at 5pm after working 7-5 in a rental car. Got to Maryland at 1am. Picked up the bike at 10am and made it to the rally at 4pm. Barely made it to the stunt show and closing ceremonies, so I missed 99% of the rally. :laugh But I had a good time and met some great people nonetheless.

Met a friend from another forum and she took me on some demo rides of the 800 and 650 GS bikes at the rally. Both are very very fun bikes, but I am happy with my purchase.

Here are some cheesy cell phone pic I took of the bike when I picked it up in Maryland. Will try and get some better ones this evening with the SLR.

3732347150_0fee3ee256.jpg

Back