• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SALEM, Sweet :)

Just anywhere:)

Just any exit, you'll find GOLD in the NW, compared to slab running. The byways are countless, just need the time is all. Anything between I 5 and the coast is sure pleasant touring. The East, not much different, all quite great:). The state(s) goes from high deserts in the East to lush forest, closer to the coast you get. CA.,Wash., and Ore...This rally will be in the lushy green part of the state, nice. Quite a large difference from Redmond, as the West dishes out a TON of diverse landscapes within short distances, East to West travel especially. Randy

Just any exit, you'll find GOLD in the NW, compared to slab running. .... Randy

Quite true. However many riders will be on the interstate and may want interesting detours that don't lead them on a dead end road to a gravel quarry. (DAMHIK) I just thought I would mention these as they carry riders (very) roughly parallel to the interstate and loop back onto the main line. The Merlin/Wolf Creek route is really special.

Final plans

Mule -- Thanks for that local info! Barley and I will enter the state on 26. From Bend we are doing secondary roads to Crater Lake. From there to the redwoods at Smith River in norcal, then up the coast and on to the rally. Your post gave me several alternatives. Much appreciated!

Pete, and Barley the Adventure Dog

So... Where did you finally decide to come in from and how?

Anybody else want to inform us Oregon riders about your final arrival plans?

FRESH Seafood:)

I am an avid seafood lover and the coast up there offers a plenty! My favorite is Halibut and Chips and living near MontereyCA, know from here North, Halibut is caught "fresh". Nothing beats this, imo. Port Orford, Ore. has an old favorite I almost always stop at. "The Crazy Norwegian". I would love knowing MORE HOT SPOTS for the best seafood up there. Halibut is like the best steak I ever ate, so equal to my taste:). Its great to see NEW posters here and bringing out your best to offer, in your state. Having travelled Oregon dozens of times and more, its always been a favorite destination for m/c travels, never grows old. HAS to be a "Top 10 State", maybe Top 5 for such, all NAmerica:). Randy

The coast of southern Oregon rocks. The ride from Reedsport into Elkton has awesome elk herds just standing around watching you drive-by. The Umpqua River is huge and remote in a very cool way. The roads through the Umpqua wine region going to the coast to Bandon, Florence and Coosbay are just very cool and beautiful riding experiences.
So In an effort to get to Salem and hang around the northwest Oregon Localities, don't forget the rest of the state and especially central and south Cascades and coastal Oregon.

... And don't forget the numerous paved timber roads designed for hauling logs from the mountains in and out of the coastal range and Cascades. These roads will take you everywhere and anywhere. Secluded lakes, Meadows, wild areas. Just have your GPS and enjoy.

Check out the road that goes from Glide to Sutherlin and Glide to Dorena lake.
Also the road that goes from Drain to King estate winery via territorial highway beautiful.
Check out McKenzie pass by OakRidge.
And Tiller hwy past Milo to Crater Lake.
Don't forget Highway 138 up along the North Umpqua,to diamond Lake. You can turn off and go down to Medford down the Rogue drainage which just is beautiful. Or you can do it backwards from Medford up to crater Lake and down 138 back into Roseburg before heading north.
And while we are at it, how about Burnt Mountain Road over in the coastal range near Reston and Tenmile. Beautiful.and the list goes on.
Did I mention the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland?

I live here, I ride a BMW, and I know.

Mule

I have to second the recommend for the North Umqua between Roseville and Diamond Lake. Highway 138 is probably one of the most fantastically beautiful roads I have ever traveled. Caveat: I have not ridden this during tourist season.

I have to second the recommend for the North Umqua between Roseville and Diamond Lake. Highway 138 is probably one of the most fantastically beautiful roads I have ever traveled. Caveat: I have not ridden this during tourist season.

Roseburg perhaps? Looks great!

Seafood

I am an avid seafood lover and the coast up there offers a plenty! My favorite is Halibut and Chips and living near MontereyCA, know from here North, Halibut is caught "fresh". Nothing beats this, imo. Port Orford, Ore. has an old favorite I almost always stop at. "The Crazy Norwegian". I would love knowing MORE HOT SPOTS for the best seafood up there. Halibut is like the best steak I ever ate, so equal to my taste. Its great to see NEW posters here and bringing out your best to offer, in your state. Having travelled Oregon dozens of times and more, its always been a favorite destination for m/c travels, never grows old. HAS to be a "Top 10 State", maybe Top 5 for such, all NAmerica. Randy

We took a Alaska cruise last year and came home with 22 lbs of Halibut. Love it breaded in Ritz cracker crumbs and broiled. I hit the coast after Redmond and ate fresh seafood everyday.

Could be worse:)

The fresh seafoods always go down better:). Love my Shrimp, Calamari and Halibut. No particular order. If I get real lucky, live longer too on seafood. Still love my steaks, but get picky where I buy'em, to get the best tender ones. My GSA sure is ready to wander North again. Just looking at my past 5 years and a shock(to me) appears in my logbok of ventures on the bikes!!! NO Canada rides on this GSA yet. I am BAD, 5 years past not going there:(. Thats remedied soon:). I have ridden most all of Canada and have been lacking in my time there. Salem and then NORTH:). Randy

NEW Tent:)

This rally season is with NEW Tent by Redverz and I am getting antsy to get under way. I am a usually small is better camp setup kind a guy, with all my backpacking gear on the bike. Now I carry a CONDO, comes with age and wanting to not get dressed on my back anymore:). I am sacraficing some weight by only a couple lbs., so be it. The GSA can handle it:) and I too can get soft as I gather wisdom. BTW, the new Redverz sets up as easy as most all my small backpacker tents. It may be BIG, but still a one man operation. Very nice. See yall in Salem and my Green Redverz Condo. Randy

Back