• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rider to Passenger Intercom Communication

intercom

I was at the International Moto Show in Greenville this weekend and bought a Chatter Box XBi. Upon returning home, installed it, all I can say is Great.
My wife and I have traveled 200 miles since and love it. Phone calls are clear ( not that I bought if for that). Putting the system in each helmet was easy and the finish is good. The unit is capable of rider to passenger, phone calls, sat radio and gps. It is a bluetooth unit that is rechargable in 1 to 2 hrs.

The limiting factor with all of the hand held FRS/GMRS radios are the antennas. The outrageous advertised ranges are just that and you would have no chance in realizing those ranges in the real world. These radios are line of site, if the sending and receiving antennas are not in site of each other for the most part they are unable to communicate. I was interested in better usable range and to do so had to move to a 4 watt Kenwood GMRS and install a externally mounted, Non Ground Plane, 3 dB gain antenna on the side of my top box. I don't know what my range is now but I have been able to communicate with other users, in flat areas, so far away I could not see them. And yes I purchased the appropriate FCC License.

I have it

So is the active plus duo for $269 a good deal? Does anyone have experience with this model? It appears to come with everything I need for 2 up riding right?

http://www.topgearaccess.com/store/index.php/kit200duo.html

Thanks again!

I have it and have used it for one season. Overall it works well. I comes with all the wires, mics, and cables needed for two. If you want to run your GPS into it as I do you will need the isolated cable. I have in ear speakers now made into a set of custom ear plugs. My only disappointment with the system is with the adapters from AutoCom for the in ear monitors. It frequently cuts in and out. Both rider and passenger units do it. I have had them both replaced and the replacements do it too. Its very annoying on a trip. I also run my phone to my garmin and the autocom by bluetooth so I had to get the bluetooth dongle. All in all its a good system but they do nickel and dime you to death to get it set up the way you might want it. So think about how you want it. I bought things in increments as I figured out what I wanted and needed. I would also recommend the coiled leads which don't come with the system and you have to pay still more money to get. I think sometimes for all I've spent, perhaps I could have gotten aother system like the Baer unit because I have probably laid out $400. I don't know if it does bluetooth or not though.

I've used Autocom's extension for in-ear monitors for the last two years without any sort of hiccup whatsoever. Is it possible their lead is not the problem?

Kenwood Unit

Thanks everyone for all the info here. The bike I bought came wired with an Autocom and now that I'm remarried [took me 50 yrs to get it right] and riding 2 up we're looking to set it up for a rider. This also has a "Mix It" device.

The bike came with a Kenwood 3101TK walkie talkie type unit that I doubt that I'll ever use. It sounds, from reading the comments of others, that these are used for bike to bike chatter. What is a good 'sale' price to list for one of these?

Also from reading, it sounds as if I only need two headsets for rider/passenger communication?

I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff so any help anyone can forward would be greatly appreciated!!

Feel free to respond with your thoughts here or privately to

Steve Magas
bikelawyer@aol.com

THANKS

SMM

Attachments

• under seat.jpg
    under seat.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 392
I've used Autocom's extension for in-ear monitors for the last two years without any sort of hiccup whatsoever. Is it possible their lead is not the problem?

Yes I am sure. I have used the in-ear speakers plugged directly into the gps or mp3 player with no problems of any type.

Yes I am sure. I have used the in-ear speakers plugged directly into the gps or mp3 player with no problems of any type.

Just a thought here...if you have tried this,disregard:wave
I also have not had any issues with inline adapters with my earbuds after three years of use. Do you use the VOX only feature and if so did you play with the little squelch adjuster yet inside the unit? When we first got ours, leaving the helmet flipped up or the shield open would cause the mic to activate from the wind and shut off/lower the volume thru our earbuds momentarily. Adjusted the settings a few times and got that to stop. I kept looking for loose connections at first.

We use the PTT switch now,only drawback is if you turn the three way switch to VOX or "always open" by accident,you can either entertain or annoy your sidekick:banghead

I also have not had any issues with inline adapters with my earbuds after three years of use. Do you use the VOX only feature and if so did you play with the little squelch adjuster yet inside the unit? When we first got ours, leaving the helmet flipped up or the shield open would cause the mic to activate from the wind and shut off/lower the volume thru our earbuds momentarily. Adjusted the settings a few times and got that to stop. I kept looking for loose connections at first.

We use the PTT switch now,only drawback is if you turn the three way switch to VOX or "always open" by accident,you can either entertain or annoy your sidekick:banghead
I have a little. It seems maybe a smidge too sensitive however, if I jiggled the wire comping out of the adaptor, the speaker will cut in and out.

Oh yeah I use VOX exclusively.

Last edited:
Tina and I communicate clearly via an Autocom. We have our iPod plugged into it, too.

Even at silly speeds, we can communicate clearly.

Here's a question. PTT. How is it done by both pilot and pillon? Does the passenger have a button too? Or am I missing something?

Here's a question. PTT. How is it done by both pilot and pillon? Does the passenger have a button too? Or am I missing something?

we both have PTT on seperate bikes, on the pilot/pillion set up,only the pilot can switch the options.The pillion is totally VOX.
I believe the Baehr system does have a seperate PTT for passenger.

Ptt

Actually although Autocom does not make a PTT setup for the pillion and passenger if you buy the PTT lead (there are 2, the more expensive one is what I use for myself the cheaper one for the pillion) cut off the plug and splice the wires into riders PTT lead you have PTT for both. This works without any problems on my '06 RT and Autocom Super Pro. The only thing to remember is that the 3 way switches have to be set the same way on both PTT switches. It is nice to not have the "honey hit the switch I want to talk to whichever friend we happen to be riding with". I mounted the pillion switch under the R grab bar.

I have an Autocom Pro 7. I picked it up at a discount when the newer models were being released a few years ago. It has worked well for me. The only input I would offer is consider future needs when buying the unit. I started off with rider to passenger communication and wired my factory radio into the system. Three years later and I have a radar detector, GPS and bluetooth phone linking with the system. Fortunately the base unit I purchased allowed me to add features. Also, beware the cost of cables when estimating costs. The connecting cables are first rate and have performed flawlessly but they are not inexpensive.

You might want to look at what Starcom has to offer. Look up www.bikeeffects.com ask for Jeff (The owner). When I called him in California, he was talking to me on his BT helmet kit through the Starcom system while he was riding. Sounded clear to me and I'm in NC.

Very nice guy and extremely helpful. I bought a new digital system from him. Same capabilities as Autocom but less $$.

MottoComm

Moto Comm Rider Li nk ST-1 Is a the most complete and affordable intercom, communications and audio system available for driver and passenger of a motorcycle.:dance

Back