• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Which RT should I choose

M

mkmd555

Which one should I choose

Friends:
I am back on the forum after a a hiatus of several years. Needless to say I have been flirting with HD ElectraGlide and a Yamaha FJR.

Now, I have decided to buy a BMW oilhead again, and here are the 2 choices. Which one has more merit.

1. 2002 BMW RS 30,000 miles

2. BMW 2004 r1150rt 77,000 miles

Thanks in advance.

M Khan

Last edited:
Welcome back!

The RS and RT look and feel different. Thus, for me, the answer is "whichever one you like."

Just get the RS!!!!!! RT's are a dime a dozen compared to the RS.

And.... the RS is way better looking ( in my not so humble opinion).

Attachments

• IMG_1104 (2).jpg
    IMG_1104 (2).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 294
When I posted the question I was under the impression that both bikes are the same.

Innocently, I posted the question hoping to find direction helping me chose between year or miles. Are low miles important or late model year.

I did not realize that there is more than miles and year.

Please send in your pearls.

M Khan

Depends what you want to do with your motorcycle. Like two fine pairs of shoes they both will fit real nice but depends how often, far and where you walk type of thing.

Long distance frequent sustained touring? Get the RT.

Some touring but mostly medium distance rides with lots of one day blasts out in the country? Get the RS.

When I posted the question I was under the impression that both bikes are the same.

Innocently, I posted the question hoping to find direction helping me chose between year or miles. Are low miles important or late model year.

I did not realize that there is more than miles and year.

Please send in your pearls.

Although built on a similar platform, they're not the same: the RT and the RS look and feel different. Which design appeals to you? If one does, that's your #1.

If you're really indifferent to the variance, we're still going to disappoint you: each bike's condition and its maintenance history are both significantly more important than its age and miles. Without much more detailed info about each candidate, we're all just guessing.

The RS is a little sportier than the RT. Not a sportbike by a long stretch, but a little sportier. That being said, no way in hell I'd buy that RS unless I was able to pull the starter and inspect the clutch splines.

They are so different, condition is secondary to how the bike fits you. It doesn't matter how good a bike is if riding it is not fun. The RT bikes fit me (K, oilhead or Airhead) but the RS does not. I can ride an RT all day without pain but my back and arms hurt after only a short distance on an RS. It might be the other way around for you. I think a RT is frequently ridden more gently than a RS.

I've owned both of them back to back in the last 18 months (1100 models).

Keep in mind that I used them more as commuter/everyday bikes as opposed to long distance. That said, I like the RS better. But if I was going to do a large amount of long distance touring it would be the RT for sure. I still would have no problem riding the RS 3000 miles tomorrow.

Depends what you want to do with your motorcycle. Like two fine pairs of shoes they both will fit real nice but depends how often, far and where you walk type of thing.

Long distance frequent sustained touring? Get the RT.

Some touring but mostly medium distance rides with lots of one day blasts out in the country? Get the RS.

i will thoroughly disagree on this assessment purportedly based on suitability for touring. Both bikes are fine touring mounts, they just do it with a slightly different "flavor". ride position of the RS is slightly more forward-lean aggressive than is the RT's "sit-up-and-beg" posture. The RT gives you more fairing- superior in colder/wetter weather, less desirable as temps increase and weather conditions improve. RT is a bit heavier/bulkier, and the larger fairing means more time/$ wehn it comes to adjustments and repairs. The basic platforms are not radically different, both will burn up back roads with equal aplomb, and both will tour in equal, but different, style and comfort.
HappyW- if you really believe that an RS is not quite up to touring demands, i suggest you have a conversation with Voni about Big Red.

Ergonomics are a big issue and a deciding factor, definitely. But I have my doubts the RS is in the original condition. If it is, it is probably one of two in the U.S. that are.:stick Most have been modified with footpeg relocation kits, handlebar risers and higher windshields. :laugh
The mileage is an important point tand that speaks for the RS.
The year speaks for the RT. It has a dual plug motor and a 6-speed (does the 2002 RS???)

Which one is your preferred riding position?

images

images

img_11706433_00.jpg

7304596454_cd3f0ecb32.jpg

Last edited:
I would look for a lower mileage 2004. Twin spark, better transmission input spline track record.

If I had to pick one it would be with half the miles, if I could check the splines.

i will thoroughly disagree on this assessment purportedly based on suitability for touring. Both bikes are fine touring mounts, they just do it with a slightly different "flavor". ride position of the RS is slightly more forward-lean aggressive than is the RT's "sit-up-and-beg" posture. The RT gives you more fairing- superior in colder/wetter weather, less desirable as temps increase and weather conditions improve. RT is a bit heavier/bulkier, and the larger fairing means more time/$ wehn it comes to adjustments and repairs. The basic platforms are not radically different, both will burn up back roads with equal aplomb, and both will tour in equal, but different, style and comfort.
HappyW- if you really believe that an RS is not quite up to touring demands, i suggest you have a conversation with Voni about Big Red.

BMW designates the RS or 'ReisesportÔÇÖ (travel sport) and the RT or 'Reise-Tourer' for good reason IMO.
The OP is looking for opinions so I gave him mine.

I would prefer to tour on an RT if that is what I did all the time. I would prefer the RS for short to medium rides. That to me means one to a few days. For anything longer like out there for a week or more on my bike I would prefer an RT. Not saying you either types of riding on either bike but rather it is just a matter of preference in riding position. As for Voni's exploits on an RS well, they are extraordinary to say the least and have absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand.

edit: Turns out the question at hand is a moot one anyway since the OP went out and bought a 1200CL. :laugh:laugh:laugh

Your application may vary, all standard disclaimers apply. My opinion is worth exactly what it cost you. :p

Last edited:
I love my 94 R1100RS. It has a taller Windscreen, a Russell Daylong saddle for both seats, and bar backs. Feels great in the twisties and great on the highway. I'd go with the lower mileage, but the question for you is really, "Which do you like better?" They are both great bikes.

Everyone has their own preferences and my opinion is just that, what I prefer.
I personally, feel a windshield is only half of the protection when touring- AKA riding on highways and interstates. I want a fairing to keep the cold air as well as the wind off me, for that adds to my fatigue, and also to reduce the rain and road spray on my feet and legs. As for summer heat, I can switch to a lighter or vented armored jacket or take the car, as I do in the winter snow and cold!

Ergonomics are a big issue and a deciding factor, definitely. But I have my doubts the RS is in the original condition. If it is, it is probably one of two in the U.S. that are.:stick Most have been modified with footpeg relocation kits, handlebar risers and higher windshields. :laugh

Well I guess I have purchased the other one then! Last year I found and purchased a 2004 RS with 1800 miles (totally original and still is)

Although now with 6000 miles on her I am not looking back - I agree to most of the posters that state the RS is great for medium length rides out into the country but for me not much more. I do not dispute it can go much much further but the sit and beg position does lend itself to much much longer, comfortable rides.

Another area to consider is if your riding 2 up - the RT really shines if you are looking to ride with a friend. My gf thought she would be much happier on the RS than on my Ducati - but she is not and find a backrest is needed to make it work (something I am not happy on doing since our 2 up is infrequent and in my opinion will ruin the lines of the bike).

At the end of the day I will be buried with my RS I love it but - I initially was looking for more of a refined "sport" tourer (wanted a canted position) that I could ride / blast around on on the weekend and not walk away with a sore back :).

Attachments

• IMG-20120705-00149.jpg
    IMG-20120705-00149.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
It seems everyone is jumping the gun and not answering your question. If you want an RT get one with less miles on it.

It seems that some delight in resurrecting "dead threads", while others do a wonderful job of ignoring original questions. The OP purchased a R1200C, and of the 2 original bikes he was looking at, only one was an RT, the other was an RS- so discussion of the differences between those models quickly became pertinent to the conversation.

Back