• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

not sure why they don't sell these here...

f14rio

...but if they did they would sell, i bet,

7251746848_16d2045531_b.jpg

r850r seen in ireland in may. (rental)

i'm guessing its got 70-80 hp.

i'm pretty ancient but i can remember a buddy with an r69s in high school in '64 and thinking,

"that's way too much bike."

(i had a 350cc duck)

Because many have a bigger is better mentality here. People think the new 800's are too small, when they have almost as much power as the 1100's!

It is because the European riding community is more attuned to riding than the majority of the U.S. riding public. In particular they haven't had a majority of their riding population brainwashed by one particular U.S. motorcycle manufacturer intent on selling an overpriced, antiquated design of a motorcycle as the entry price to a perceived weekend warrior lifestyle. You have to give said manufacturer's advertising division a lot of credit. As for the majority of U.S. riders sucked into the "lifestyle"...Idiots.

It is because the European riding community is more attuned to riding than the majority of the U.S. riding public. In particular they haven't had a majority of their riding population brainwashed...

Its unfortunate though that even BMW has to produce what the brainwashed wants.

Just look at the GS. It started as an 800, then 1000, then 1150, now the 1200 and they are talking about a 1250. I guess I'll wait till its a 2000. :rolleyes

I have an 1150 GSA only because BMW no longer made a R100 GS PD which I would have preferred and would have bought if it were available at that time. I also have a R100 GS and R80 G/S PD. And if I were really going to a remote area, I'd take the R80 G/S PD.

Well, they do but it's a 900 now. Yes, in yurrup there's an R900RT and probably an R900R.

Really? I went on the motorrad de site and only found R1200 models. I found a R900RT from 2005 to 2010, but nothing current. I found a R900RT from this year for police, but no mention of a civilian model.

possibly the biggest thing that caused the discontinuation of the R850 series was the lack of profit on the sale. the bike was essentially identical in every regard to the 1100, other than pistons and such, so production costs were basically the same. however, in this market, you can't sell an 850 at 1100 prices, hence- no 850 in the US of A. plus, in Yurp, with the much higher gas, insurance and licensing costs of a larger displacement bike, people find untold value in something smaller.

possibly the biggest thing that caused the discontinuation of the R850 series was the lack of profit on the sale. the bike was essentially identical in every regard to the 1100, other than pistons and such, so production costs were basically the same. however, in this market, you can't sell an 850 at 1100 prices, hence- no 850 in the US of A. plus, in Yurp, with the much higher gas, insurance and licensing costs of a larger displacement bike, people find untold value in something smaller.

European tax laws drive the existence of bikes like the R-850 and R-900. They cost no less to build than their larger displacement siblings, but cannot be sold for the same price as the larger displacement bikes, so they are less profitable to sell. Only Europe's quirky tax and licensing laws make such bikes profitable to sell. In the US, there are no tax breaks for smaller displacement bikes so there is no market for them here.

In many European countries a vehicle is taxed by it displacement and HP. Add in the cost of insurance being less than a bigger motor and you begin to understand.

Also many places have a tiered driving license system so a beginner cannot buy a huge motor.

With the cost of gasoline now at , or approaching $10.00 per gallon over there, smaller displacement and better fuel mileage make a lot of sense. Something most Americans do not face.

Years ago, as I was buying a used K75RT from a dealer, I asked him why they were discontinued. He said they cost almost as much to make as a K100 but they sold for $2,000 less.

With the cost of gasoline now at, or approaching $10.00 per gallon over there, smaller displacement and better fuel mileage make a lot of sense.

I broke my last record from a couple of years back when the $ to € exchange rate was a lot worse. This summer, I put $65 into my R1150 GS Adventure and the tank wasn't even empty. I'd hate to think what it would have run me a couple of years ago. Another first is 549 kms (341 miles) before filling up.

But the roads over there are worth the high price of gas. :)

In many European countries a vehicle is taxed by it displacement and HP. Add in the cost of insurance being less than a bigger motor and you begin to understand.

Also many places have a tiered driving license system so a beginner cannot buy a huge motor.

With the cost of gasoline now at , or approaching $10.00 per gallon over there, smaller displacement and better fuel mileage make a lot of sense. Something most Americans do not face.

This is the correct answer. Bigger, higher horsepower motors just cost a lot more to operate in Europe. That said, I know at least 15 guys that I've ridden with in Europe who own the 1200GS.

There are two other things that matter:
- European municipalities (big business for BMW) usually prefer to buy smaller displacement bikes (remember the K75??)
- In order to go fast, you do not need large displacement. Horsepower can also be made from rpm (P = M x 2? n). If you look at the automotive industry, Europe always had smaller displacement engines, even in fast cars. And small
displacements translate into better efficiency and thus better fuel economy. Something desirable with higher fuel prices in Europe.

seems to me

yeah, you can get power out of small engines but they gotta rev higher or they need turbos which (to me) means they break sooner.

dunno, just sayin'.

The Europeans don't have to face it if they don't want to.

Last edited:
At the moment they have two choices gasoline or diesel , the infrastructure is no better there than here for electric vehicles .
At least in the parts of Germany I go to.

My wife has an 850R and this is a sweet ride. Needs a peg lowering kit, heated grips and I'm partial to big gas tanks but all minor stuff.48-50 mpg consistently and she lets me exerise it regularly. The parrabrllum scout works well too/

Back