• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Throttle Body Synchronizer

Hi: anyone care to recommend, from experience, a good TBS? I'm going to use it on my K12S.

Thanks!

I own and use a Twin Max. I bought a Harmonizer a couple of months ago but haven't had time to try it out and compare the two.

I have the Harmonizer. Simple, easy to use, really a nice device.
There have been those who say it is, or cannot be as accurate as the fluid type system.
I do not believe that. The modern computer type systems are far more accurate than the old manual systems on cars and motorcycles.
And I suspect with a device like this, it is actually more accurate.
I have heard anecdotal accounts of it being tried at BMW dealers, and they found it was just as accurate as their systems.
Check advrider for Grok and his Harmonizer.
dc

I too, have the Harmonizer. Just got is a couple of weeks ago and haven't used it in anger yet, but did fiddle with it. I'm swapping the front tire this weekend so since I'll be playing mechanic then I'll go ahead and try syncing the TB with it.

I use a Twin Max, works great. But the Harmonizer looks cool. I'd likely buy that over the Twin Max if I didn't have a tool already. But, the argument that the liquid tools are better than the digital tools doesn't hold water for me. If it is true that they are more accurate, then in my opinion, that higher degree of accuracy is not needed because I'm always pleased with the results on my RT and /6.

My thoughts

I started with the $4.00 synchronizer, which worked well, but one needs to be careful if the carbs are way out of balance or the fluid will be sucked into the engine. You also need a good place to hang the thing.

I tried the Twinmax at a tech day and found the ergonomics wanting. I kept hitting the zero knob and having to re-calibrate. I've spoken to others with the same complaint.

I picked up a Harmonizer at the intro price and have been happy so far. Self-zeros, no controls to bump, easy to read and I'm able to locate the box where I can see it while lying under the bike to reach the carb screws.

I tried the Twinmax at a tech day and found the ergonomics wanting. I kept hitting the zero knob and having to re-calibrate. I've spoken to others with the same complaint.

I've done that! Fortunately, it only takes a second to re zero. But again, just looking, the harmonizer looks very cool Anyone want a used Twin Max at a 50% discount so I can buy the Harmonizer? I like new toys!

The OP has a K1200S (4 cyl)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need to do a throttle body synch on a 4 cyl. K bike.
We've put close to 500,000 miles on K bikes and none of them have ever needed a throttle body synch.

That thread contains some VERY bad suggestions and info!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER touch or adjust the linkage between the throttle bodies!!!!!!!!!

A throttle body adjustment on a Kbike involves ONLY adjusting the large brass air bleed screws on each throttle bore.

NEVER attempt to adjust the butterflies, just adjust the air bypass screws.

This primarily affects idle smoothness. Messing with the butterflies WILL screw it up over the entire range.

:dance:dance:dance

That thread contains some VERY bad suggestions and info!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER touch or adjust the linkage between the throttle bodies!!!!!!!!!

I need to go back and read all of it again, I didn't see where someone said to adjust the linkage.
What I got out of it, was because of the mechanical linkage, the throttle bodies stayed in sync, unlike the boxer engine.

To me, posts 5 and 6 in the link are good points.

Also a similar danger on the R bikes. Do not adjust the BBS. Make the adjustment at the right hand cable base, after putting slack, if it is not there, into the throttle cables. But that may only be true on the 1200s. 1100 and 1150, I don't know. And I don't know if I'm saying that right either.
The point is, compare notes from more than one source, and maybe get someone with some experience to help you.
dc

The OP has a K1200S (4 cyl)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need to do a throttle body synch on a 4 cyl. K bike.
We've put close to 500,000 miles on K bikes and none of them have ever needed a throttle body synch.

On the Wedges I have not seen any talk of adjustments. Doesn't the single cable operate a common bar on all injectors? I'll verify that and say yes.
No cable stretch to equalize and no large displacement twin cylinders to balance. Now you may get crudded up injectors if you don't ride much...:bolt

The last 4 cylinder that gave me balancing fits was a carburated 70's Honda 750-4:bottle

I've done that! Fortunately, it only takes a second to re zero. But again, just looking, the harmonizer looks very cool Anyone want a used Twin Max at a 50% discount so I can buy the Harmonizer? I like new toys!

I noticed the knob broken on my zero adjustment on my Twinmax the other day
( I might have pushed the drawer shut on it). I have it working...but ordered a Harmonizer to add to the big red toybox anyways.

Well, after reading up on this a bit, it's pretty clear that I do not need a TBS for my K12. As for my old airhead, I use my ancient Uni-Syn.

As we speak (or post) Grok, the Harmonizer wizard or wonk is developing a 4 cylinder Harmonizer. Numerous inquiries have indicated there is a demand, or maybe quite a demand for the 4 cylinder capable Harmonizer.
Now myself, having never been a 4 cylinder person, have no knowledge as to which bikes they intend to use the device on.
dc

Back