• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil consumption - new 2011 R1200RT

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
At 3000km, oil level is in middle of sight glass and check mark displays in LCD panel. This is better than I had been led to believe. Will likely be at 5000km or so when I begin a big trip. Will have a liter of oil, but will I need a shot glass or similar to add a bit of oil? Right after check mark goes away, how much oil should I add? I figure not much, and then check again soon after. Is this a good strategy?

Your oil consumption seems a little better than average. From the top to the bottom of the sight glass is about 1/2 liter. I wouldn't wait for the check on the computer to go away to add oil. I check the oil periodically and add some to keep the oil in the upper half of the sight glass. I have added oil directly from the bottle but you have to be a bit careful to not spill some. I usually use a small funnel - much easier. I prefer to use a shot glass for other uses, although one could say the other uses involve lubrication.

When I park the bike, I put it on the side stand then remove my gear and put it away. Then if I am going to check the oil, I put it on the center stand and get a flash light. This process takes a bit more than 5 min. That gives the oil time to drain down from the oil cooler and other engine parts. Make sure the ride was long enough so the engine oil is fully up to temperature.

Your oil consumption seems a little better than average. From the top to the bottom of the sight glass is about 1/2 liter. I wouldn't wait for the check on the computer to go away to add oil. I check the oil periodically and add some to keep the oil in the upper half of the sight glass. I have added oil directly from the bottle but you have to be a bit careful to not spill some. I usually use a small funnel - much easier. I prefer to use a shot glass for other uses, although one could say the other uses involve lubrication.

When I park the bike, I put it on the side stand then remove my gear and put it away. Then if I am going to check the oil, I put it on the center stand and get a flash light. This process takes a bit more than 5 min. That gives the oil time to drain down from the oil cooler and other engine parts. Make sure the ride was long enough so the engine oil is fully up to temperature.

Kudos to your first post!

Spot on advice for monitoring oil in the R1200RT models.

To the original poster, your bike will likely 'burn' some oil thru the 12,000 mile mark (Sorry - my metric skills are nil), so while you don't need to obsess about the oil level, should you get this symbol (!) , the computer display is telling you the oil level is 'not optimum.'

Follow the procedure outlined by hrafn and use a small Dixie Cup to add oil conservatively until 3/4 of sight glass is filled.

Then hop back on and enjoy the ride! :german

Congrats on the new bike -- I'm jealous LOL

I know nothing about breaking in a new RT but I learned an interesting fact. When I first purchased my used RT it was burning what I thought was excessive oil. So I discussed the matter with my local dealer here is what I learned.

I was running the bike at a low RPM -- While good for MPG not so good for oil burn. They talked me into running my bike at a much higher RPM; which really opened my eyes and oil burn issue went away.

Not only did the bike respond very well to the higher RPM less shifting, quicker bike response and crazy fast acceleration. And no oil burn.

I was operating my RT like I would a Soft Tail. These bikes want to be ran/driven.

Just a different way of looking at this issue.

Ride safe and have fun.
:usa

From the top to the bottom of the sight glass is about 1/2 liter.

That is the quantitative info I was looking for. I had the 1000 km check at about 1200 km, so I have probably burned about 250 ml in the next 2000 km.

I will keep an eye on it. Nice big sight glass, easy to read compared to the tony one on my previous Triumph 900.

Does anyone know how much oil is burned from full before the (!) warning light comes on?

RPM's?

This doesn't matter, imo! These are BIG twins, torque'y engines from low rpm's and running them in their wide range makes no difference. HDs are indeed same BIG holes, even bigger cubes. The Beemers have bigger range, higher limit rpm's, but pull fine from 2000 or so too, without issues. My oil warning has never showed, but get the OK oil all the time, or at fillups at gas stations. I think a new engine best advice tip is propably an OLD time one, "run it like you stole it" for a few thousand miles:). Reg Pridmore told me a LONG time ago, IF I cannot kill one of these on the track(older Airhead days), why would you ever think you could in ever day use? I suspect it still apllies to our new Beemers:). Randy

Polar,

I can't disagree with you but I can tell you that I have not burned any oil since I've started running higher RPM's.

As you said it pull's positively at just about any RPM and I Love Love Love my bike.

Maybe I am keeping the oil/filter changed more often then the original owner or maybe better oil/filter/grade/viscosity. Who knows.

Thanks for your input.

Tim

Great:)

You probably hit that break in thing and rings are seated. Some say Beemers go a long time to break in, others say shorter. Doesn't really matter much. I know my GSA1200 has hit 74000m now and has got better with age, a noticable difference with miles added:). Randy:clap

Back