• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post A Picture of Your Thumper

My new 2009 G650GS and my 2006 Honda Big Ruckus (Both Thumpers)

web.jpg

Last edited:
Going Home

The view from Steamboat Mountain on the ALCAN, 24 Aug 9.

Attachments

• Steamboat Mtn 24Aug09.JPG
    Steamboat Mtn 24Aug09.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 669
I've attached a photo of my 650 XC with it's new Corbin among other farkles. The Corbin has changed the bike for me. I used to get lower back pain because the stock saddle had zero support. At first, the Corbin feels very firm, but after awhile the support is really nice.
That Corbin looks nice. I put a Renazco Racing seat on mine and it's great, though it doesn't have the back support you're describing.

An item of note is carrying much on the rear rack on the X-Challenge. The original subframe is really light on this bike. I learned this when I replaced it with a Touratech steel subframe because I installed bags on the bike. My guess is it wouldn't take too many whacks with any weight on the rear rack to cause a fracture/failure of the original aluminum sub-frame. I'm sure that with casual riding this wouldn't be an issue but I'd be concerned if I hung much over 20 pounds on the tail end and rode on rough stuff.

Trying to attach a picture of my G650GS... You would think a software engineer would be better at this :doh

Attachments

• out-in-sun-with-helmet.jpg
    out-in-sun-with-helmet.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 726
i added the following items to the bike:

Wunderlich lift handle

PIAA driving lights

Nice looking. I'm curious. I tried to make the Wunderlich lift handle work from my R1150R, but I couldn't find a good mounting point. How did you attach the lifting handle? ( Do you have a picture? )

What mount did you use for your PIAA lights?

Thanks for posting the pictures of your nice bike.

i used the frame the Jesse boxes attach to for the lift handle and the piaa lights came in a kit for the F650 which included the mount. sorry i don't have a pic of the piaa mount.

110106381.jpg

i used the frame the Jesse boxes attach to for the lift handle and the piaa lights came in a kit for the F650 which included the mount. sorry i don't have a pic of the piaa mount.

Thanks for showing me how you attached the lift handle. Would not work for me since I don't have those bags. I really liked the handle on my R1150R and have been trying to come up with something for the F650 thumper.

Perhaps a bracket can be attached to the frame ? im using the BMW Case system ...there is nothing that is attached to that point in the frame so perhaps something can be fabricated so that one of these Wunderlich frame handles can be retrofitted.

I have Happy Trails bags, so the frame is available. I just haven't figured out a good way to attach a lifting handle without getting in the way of the rear peg.

Here's a picture from last fall's GripTwister ride around the Olympic Peninsula:

652086239_vNC9e-L.jpg

Here's a scene from the Seattle F650.com phototag:

NYD2010001.jpg

Outside of Cle Elum, WA:

CleElum2008077.jpg

I have the tubular HT rear rack, and it works well for use as a lifting handle.

Here's a picture of it:

HTPanniers003.jpg

The angle pieces are what I grab onto.

Thanks for showing me how you attached the lift handle. Would not work for me since I don't have those bags. I really liked the handle on my R1150R and have been trying to come up with something for the F650 thumper.

Have travel, will ride

Fresh from the shed, my modified 02 GS
I fitted Yamaha MX forks up front and a Hyperpro shock in the rear. A plush ride through the knarly stuff.
Took some weight off the front and rear ends

2010-03-27174203.jpg

2010-03-27174137.jpg

EBCBrake.jpg

02 gs

Fresh from the shed, my modified 02 GS
I fitted Yamaha MX forks up front and a Hyperpro shock in the rear. A plush ride through the knarly stuff.
Took some weight off the front and rear ends

2010-03-27174203.jpg

2010-03-27174137.jpg

EBCBrake.jpg

:thumb That is pretty cool. It looks like you still have some kind of rear luggage hangars on the bike? :thumb

When I was in Germany recently, seems like there was a lot more people doing modifications/customizing of their BMW's. I am not talking about farkles, I mean like the mods you did.

Back