• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newfoundland & Labrador

statdawg

High & Dry
Newfoundland – Oldest Colony and Newest Province.
Known as ‘England’s Oldest Colony and Canada’s newest Province’, the Canadian Province of Newfoundland and Labrador is Europe's closest neighbor on the North American Continent. For centuries its economy was dominated by the famous Grand Banks cod fishery, pursued by hardy people for the West of England and the South-East of Ireland who settled in a multitude of tiny fishing communities studded along the forbidding coastline.

For many the Trans-Labrador 500, a road cut through the wilderness is a tune up and test track for those wondering if adventure travel is for them, many add Newfoundland so they can time manage, use ferry boat transportation and add another destination. There are two great informative sites for traveling, one is by Bruno Valeri's site here and other is Ride the Rock , the later has links for accommodations, eating establishments, and tourist sites.

Labrador Weather

Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism.

Trans-Labrador 500 Conditions.

Ferry Information

http://tlhwy.com/travel/ferries.html

Those that live here or have traveled please add your favorite sites so this thread can be used for trip planning, thank you.

TLH Trip INFO...

Good Information that I used on my TLH venture.

Great & most excellent information and planning....TLH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was posted by rdwalker(gnarly adventurer) who gets credit for taking the time to give you all food for thought and has just about everything that needs to be said in planning to do the TLH loop.

Cheers, YOUR MAN THAT WAS ON THE ROAD

Planning information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some planning resources that could be useful for anyone else considering a ride along the Trans-Lab.

Good luck!

Planning Resources.

--> Maps & Info:

Newfoundland and, in particular, Labrador is off most tourists' radar screens. Your typical maps will have very little detail on the area. North Coast of the St. Lawrence River is not shown on your AAA publications; forget about the Trans-Labrador itself.

Online mapping services, like Google Maps or Mapquest offer fairly good resources for trip planning (just ignore the outlandish travel-time estimates).

I love paper maps, though: nothing but an unfolded sheet offers the large scale overview together with the depth of detail. I always enjoy the sense of adventure when randomly perusing a map. The smell of fresh ink, the exotic names in faraway locations really do it for me.

The provincial government publishes a very good road map of Newfoundland and Labrador. It can be obtained just for the asking, together with some brochures, from their tourist offices at: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ .

JDMGeo (www.MapArt.com) publishes very good maps of Quebec, although the really interesting sections of Trans-Quebec-Labrador and of James Bay Road are not shown.

A big community at your service: www.ADVrider.com, of course.
Newfoundland riding : www.ridetherock.com/forums
Specific sections of Labrador:
www.labradorwest.com, www.labradorcoastaldrive.com
Trans-Lab web page: http://tlhwy.com/

--> Communications.

Immediately upon entering Newfoundland, my GSM mobile phone stopped working. In towns, I have seen a lot of people yakking away; judging by the pull-out antennas, they still had analog service. And of course, once out of town and in Labrador there is no cellular coverage. I did not re-acquire digital service until reaching Forestville on St. Lawrence River in Quebec.

In other words, be prepared for not having mobile service for many days. In order to communicate, you should have access to an 800 (toll-free) service that allows you to make calls from hotels or private land phones. AT&T is one provider of such service (although pricy). I also have Primus Communications' Global Access card (http://www.affinitytele.com/c-cards.htm), which offers toll-free call-in numbers throughout the world; I have been using their card extensively during this trip. Note that some payphones in Canada do block toll-free access calls.

For the main section of Trans-Labrador Highway, the provincial Department of Transportation provides free emergency satellite phones. These are capable of only dialing 911 and can be signed in and out for 24-hour periods in selected locations in the four towns between Goose Bay and Labrador City.

--> Time Zones.

On Ferries: all scheduling is done on Ship's Time, which is announced and displayed throughout. Make a note what time zone is in use, or you may miss breakfast or oversleep landing.

Quebec: bulk of the province, accessible by road from Montreal / Quebec City uses Eastern Time. North Coast section (Blanc-Sablon) runs on Atlantic Time.

New Brunswick and Nova Scotia: Atlantic Time (1hr ahead of Eastern).

Newfoundland: Newfoundland Time (another 1/2hr ahead of Atlantic, i.e., hour-and-half from Eastern).

Labrador: section immediately across the Strait from Newfoundland (L'Anse au Clair) in on Newfoundland time. All of the rest (Cartwright, Goose Bay and west) is on Atlantic time.

All zones observe Daylight Time.

--> Ferries.

Reaching Happy Valley - Goose Bay via the Maritime Provinces requires sailing on several ferries. I strongly recommend spending the night on the long runs: it saves riding days and substitutes for hotels. Booking a cabin is very useful; it allows for comfort, privacy and security for your belongings.

The ferry I took from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland was fairly modern; I understand that so are the other ones on that route. Cabins contained bathrooms with showers, quite convenient.

The Goose Bay ferry seems to be living out its days after retiring from service around Jutland Peninsula - even the signage is still in Danish. It is a bit rough around the edges; bathrooms and toilets are in a common area. I would not be surprised if this route is terminated once Phase III connector of Trans-Labrador Highway opens, between Cartwright and Goose Bay.

Reservations on all of them are a must if you desire a cabin. They are recommended just for the passage as well, although I do understand that a lone rider with a motorcycle is always somehow fit in.

The routes between North Sydney, NS and Port-aux-Basques, NL, as well as the seasonal connection to Argentia, NL, are serviced by Marine Atlantic:
http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/

Newfoundland to Labrador crossing and the Goose Bay ferry are operated by Labrador Marine:
http://www.labradormarine.com/

On the other side of the run, in Quebec, there are several ferries crossing St. Lawrence River. These may be of interest if a side trip on Gaspe Peninsula is in your cards. Despite repeated announcements to the contrary, the Trois Pistoles - Les Escoumins connection seems to be gone for good, but the remaining routes are:

Baie-Comeau / Godbout - Matane:
http://www.traversiers.gouv.qc.ca/tr...ection=%C9t%E9

Further west there is the Rimouski - Forestville route. Note that some English-language pages do not work too well on the ferry companies' Web sites. For schedules, just dig into the French sections - you should be able to figure them out. 'Horaire' is schedule, everything else is self-explanatory.
http://www.traversier.com/accueil.html

Finally, St-Simeon - Riviere-du-Loup:
http://www.traverserdl.com/e/horaire/sim-06.htm

--> Fuel:

Once in northern Newfoundland and through the whole length of Trans-Lab highway, there is no premium fuel (except, maybe, in Goose Bay and Fermont). Also, some rural stations in New England carry only regular gas. Your bike must be able to handle regular.

The longest distance between fuel stations is about 300km (~ 200 miles) between Goose Bay and Churchill Falls.

--> Repair Shops.

Atlantic Motoplex (only BMW dealer in the Maritimes)
950 Champlain Street, Dieppe, NB E1A 1P8
506-383-1022
www.atlanticmotoplex.ca

RPM Cycle
168 Main St., Dartmouth, NS B2X 1S2
902-434-8516
www.rpmcycle.ca

Steve's Cycle Truro
1279 MacCallum Settlement Rd.,
MacCallum Settlement, B6L 6V4
902-893-2581
stevescycle@z6.com

Adrian's (x-BMW shop)
80 King Street, Moncton, NB E1C 4M6
506-382-0262

(Mike) Milligans Cycle Works
2271 Mountain Road, Moncton?
854 4555

Darren Tapley
All-Euro, Halifax NS

Ed Barkhouse
Procycle, Dartmouth NS

Keith Windsor
The Toy Box
St. John's, NL

--> Hotels.

On my blitz tours, I usually do not skimp but try to stay in fairly nice places. My trips are expensive simply because I pay for my own time off work - cost of a hotel is then not as significant.

When selecting accommodations, I prefer a hotel that has a restaurant on premises - unless in a city, where everything is within walking distance. I like to clean up in the evening, then have a nice dinner and some good wine; I do not want to be riding anymore.

Having Internet access is quite important as well. It's a valuable travel tool: not only to check email, but also to find out local weather, schedules, make or cancel reservations, and so on. Fortunately, Wi-Fi is becoming more and more prevalent in most establishments.

Below are places I used on this trip. I have been fortunate to be able to recommend them to all.

Planning note: all accommodations in Newfoundland and Labrador are very busy during the brief tourist and construction season. Reservations are essential. At the very least, keep a list of possible hotels and call ahead.

In most common destinations: Holiday Inn Express (www.ichotelsgroup.com). These are standardized, clean and comfortable locations, with good services and Wi-Fi. Dinner, however, may be an issue. On this trip, I used them in Seabrook, NH and in Moncton (Dieppe), NB.

Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland:
Ocean View Motel
Phone: 709-458-2730, http://www.oceanviewmotel.com
Good facilities, restaurant, pub, Wi-Fi.

Mary's Harbour, Labrador:
Riverlodge Hotel
709-921-6948, www.riverlodgehotel.com
Here you are a bit off the tourist track; don't worry about Internet access. When planning on late arrival, check on dining room times - kitchen closes early.

Wabush, Labrador:
Wabush Hotel
709-282-3221/3222
Formerly a grand place, now very busy during road-building season, filled with construction crews. Still, has all the facilities and is the best (if not only) hotel in town. Reservations are a must! Wi-Fi spotty.

Baie-Comeau, Qu?®bec:
Le Grand H??tel
48, Place Lasalle
1-888-838-8880, http://www.legrandhotel.ca
This town-center hotel is being renovated right now and can be a bit disorganized. Still, the owner may himself guide you around the building to park your bike next to his Fat Boy. Wi-Fi spotty.

Qu?®bec City, Qu?®bec:
Chateau Laurier
1220 Place George-V Ouest
(800) 463-4453 www.vieux-quebec.com
This is one of my favorite places to stay in Quebec City, a modern upscale hotel, yet often in CAD$170 range. Great amenities and Wi-Fi, underground garage. Just on the outside of Old City walls and next to restaurant strip of Grande Allee.
Note that motorcycles are not allowed in Old City; thank you, loud pipes.

Woodstock, VT:
Lincoln Inn
802-457-3312 www.lincolninn.com
Quite upscale - yet not expensive; nice restaurant and pub. Very friendly and helpful staff. Wi-Fi is advertised - but I was too tired to try...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355326

Previous:
2006 R1200 RT
2007 F650 GS
Current:
2005 R1200 GS

i love that guy's stuff, i've shared a few emails with him

if i don't do Alaska next year, these are some of the places i'm going.

I think Ontario is another section, but I suggest doing the JBR as 2009 will be the last year to catch the Rupert river before it's diverted. It's definitely worth seeing. As much as I'd like to go somewhere new, I've been considering going back one more time. Possible a "JBR/Radisson Rally" is called for? :dunno

:)

I think Ontario is another section, but I suggest doing the JBR as 2009 will be the last year to catch the Rupert river before it's diverted. It's definitely worth seeing. As much as I'd like to go somewhere new, I've been considering going back one more time. Possible a "JBR/Radisson Rally" is called for? :dunno

:)

i'm into it man, i thought the rupert was all done after 07' guess it got pushed back, that is good news! we'll chat.

It isn't????

DSCF9229.jpg

Paul and I are headed to NewFoundland after the National rallies next summer. Half the fun is in the planning.

We'll be camping through Nova Scotia but if the weather's bad we're planning on finding dry warm places to stay . . .

Thanks for sharing all of these resources. I've ordered information from Nova Scotia and NewFoundland. Guess I'd better find New Brunswick . . .

Voni
sMiling

It isn't????

DSCF9229.jpg

Paul and I are headed to NewFoundland after the National rallies next summer. Half the fun is in the planning.

We'll be camping through Nova Scotia but if the weather's bad we're planning on finding dry warm places to stay . . .

Thanks for sharing all of these resources. I've ordered information from Nova Scotia and NewFoundland. Guess I'd better find New Brunswick . . .

Voni
sMiling

If you are needing any Nova Scotia info please feel free to PM me. -Bob

IF you need any help with New Brunswick, let me know, I'm in the Saint John area, just an hour from the Maine border. I'm also a relocated Newfie, so I can help ya with the Newfoundland stuff too.

Cheers

Cool! Wel'll be needing all the help we can get ; )

Voni
sMiling

... two of the most experienced travelers in the business. With all the folks you know along the way the most help your going to need is clearing the cobwebs out along the way. :laugh :hungover

And let's not forget the Ride the Rock '09 Rallye held in St John's ... 31 July this year for the second annual. R1200C+'s but I'm sure anyone will be welcome ... it's just that the "others" might have to cover the first round or two ...

Check it out at Ride the Rock '09 website ...

A few of us are going up from the States during the last week in July and could maybe hook-up for the crossing with anyone else who might be going. As to me, I'm gonna be taking in a bit scenery as I take the long way 'round from Maine through St John and plan on taking the "Midnight Special" from North Sydney to Port Aux Basque (making a rez this week) ...

I'm in the planning stages for a run to Newfoundland this year. Nothing nailed down quite yet. I've ordered the guides from the Newfoundand & Labrador website, and I'm looking at maps quite frequently. My time will be a bit limited, so I'm looking at a night crossing to Port Aux Basque, and then spending some time along the coast - Gros Morne, maybe up to L'Anse aux Meadows, then back. I can always save St. Johns and areas on the other side of the island for another trip. Looks like a nice place to visit, though. :)

My time will be a bit limited, so I'm looking at a night crossing to Port Aux Basque, and then spending some time along the coast - Gros Morne, maybe up to L'Anse aux Meadows, then back.

Thats all I had time for as well since the Trans Labrador was the main purpose of my tour.

Make sure you "book" the return crossing, although there is always room for a motorcycle on board.

A very nice place to stay was the Reeves' Oceanview B&B in Englee, if you are up in the northern part.

I have a question or two that some of you may be able to answer:

1) I was thinking about getting into better shape and spending a day hiking Gros Morne. Has anyone attempted this climb? Did you find it worthwhile, or would I be better served hiking a different part of the park?

2) Regarding the ferry ride from NS to Newfoundland, and specifically cabin accommodations. They list several choices aside from the standard "reserve a seat". They have "dorm style" (I saw pictures - not horrible), and then they go into "4 berth cabin", "2 berth cabin", and "deluxe cabin". If you are traveling alone, do you end up sharing a 2 berth cabin with another traveler who you may not know? Just curious how that's setup. I could call them, but I figured I'd ask here first. I assume "deluxe cabin" is your own place (for $144/night I'd hope so!)?

I climbed Gros Morne about 13 years ago, and it is worth it, I'll do it again when I go back. It will take the whole the day, and is doable if you're in fairly good shape, by no means do you need to be an uber athlete. Take extra clothes, food and water, like you would on any all day hike. I found coming back down harder than going up. Your quads take a beating coming downhill. The view from the top is incredible.

It's been awhile since I've been on the ferry, 12 years, and I was poor then and just bunked down on the floor in the bar, or that's just where I passed out, can't remember. LOL. There are some rates for cabins that you do share with others, or you can have one all to yourself. It's only a 6-7 hour crossing to Port-Aux-Basques.

Cheers

I received my free Newfoundland & Labrador tourist guide, today. Not only do you get a thick book of things to do and places to stay (think anonymous book, but slightly taller), you also get a very nice map of Newfoundland and Labrador. Again, all for FREE. :thumb

Newfoundland and Labrador

Got my N&L travel kit yesterday, thinking of returning as my buddy and I did Newfoundland four years ago but tried to do everything from Port aux Basque to Anse aux Meadows and from Deer Lake to St.John's in 3 weeks. Missed too many interesting places so want to return to fill in the gaps.
Will be traveling alone this time, no dates yet but July/august sounds right.
Will also be going to Radisson this summer. Rally up there sounds interesting!!!
Regards,
Jim Roy
MOA
ABC
BMW Club Quebec
1986 R80 "S"
1993 K75S

Back