• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Solo Touring?

80% of my travels are solo, what if learn from my mistakes

Smile at everyone

Keep your sense of humour

Carry extra gas

Carry extra water

Spot with tracking is you families best friend

Skype & wifi is a good thing

It's a lot like sailing, it's about the journey, not the destination

Many good comments and much advice. In forty year I have less than 1000 miles touring with anyone else intentionally. That said I don't know how to define solo touring. I ride alone most of the time but find I meet the most incredible people along the way. In some cases these people ride with me for short periods of time.

For me the best thing about solo touring is "wondering" about. I wonder what is at the end of an interesting side road and go find out. Wonder about something I find along the way, some thing to see - someone to meet and I can find out.

Cages are great for the family and more but riding and solo touring is best left as something we do alone together.

EDIT:
I'm not so much a loner that I'm averse to traveling with others, yet not concerned about heading out alone. I've had as much fun in groups or with friends as
I've had solo.

Nova Scotia is so amazing. I'd do it again any way possible. Look at a solo trip as a recon run. Take the wife back for some quality time, and you'll have it dialed in, with no worries about her comfort, where to stay, eat, stop, etc.

If I had it to do over, I'd give Nova Scotia more time.
Cabot Trail-Give it three days, and ride it every which way but loose. We stayed at the Maven Gyspy B&B.
Any questions PM me and I'll offer any info I can to help with your planning. I got all kinds of info from folks here and at ADVrider.
A digital camera and a small tripod and you can photograph yourself anywhere. Pix pix pix, or it didn't happen! :p

As one poster above pointed out, life is tenuous. Live without regret. Take the trip. Sometimes you get a sweet moment while solo that you wouldn't necessarily get if there are others around you. My most recent solo trip (last November) included a quite secluded run up the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive.

Last edited:
Been planning a trip to Nova Scotia all winter long for late June, but my riding buddy can't get the time off from work. I'm really looking forward to the trip so I'm considering just doing it solo. I ride alone all the time on day rides, but I've never gone on an extended solo trip. Not sure if I'll get bored with only the voices in my head to keep me company. Even worse...what if I see something super cool and there's nobody else to witness it? What if I see Bigfoot? What if I crash into a ditch and lay there for hours before anyone notices the vultures circling? Anybody with a solo touring tale...good or bad? I've seen some excellent ride reports on ADVrider.

I have traveled most my trips alone. Over the last 10-12 years in particular. Most my friends are married, and now raising g/kids :eek. There is some advantage to it. Leave when ya want, stop when ya want, see what ya want along the way. There is the accident thing, but hell we all roll-the-dice every day. I recommend ya give it a try, I think you'll discover you like it. Don't get me wrong, I miss my pals..but they chose their life & I chose mine, and motorcycle travel is what i like, so now i go it alone.

BTW two of my pals were taken by cancer...way too early. Squeeze all the joy ya can out of everyday!

Nothing brings back memories better than a camera. Todays cameras (digital) come in all sizes and store HD photos on SD or mini SD cards. I recently purchased a HERO II and plan to use it as I travel to the rally in Salem, OR and back. This camera along with many others can also record record video & sound. I agree that its wonderful to share something like the Grand Conyon in the moment. Pictures allow you to recall those moments. I prefer to ride solo when traveling long distance as I can set my own pace and timetable.

RIDE SAFE

Last edited:
My wife is going to freak out though. .

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a SPOT tracker. When my husband was planning his 6 week journey from Delaware to Prudhoe Bay, AK, this was my only requirement. I was able to log on during the day and see where they were and if they were moving. At the end of the day, he would use it to send me a text message to say that they arrived safely.

I was telling my friend and a neighbor about it and they insisted I add them to my SPOT tracker list so that when I did my solo trip, they could follow along and know that I was also OK. Prior to that, I hadn't given it much thought but it does provide piece of mind to those you are leaving behind.

Been planning a trip to Nova Scotia all winter long for late June.....

I've already commented on this but wanted to add that our trip to Nova Scotia last year was in mid June. It was surprising how few people were up there at that time of year. We had the Cabot Trail pretty much to ourselves, Bar Harbor/Cadillac Mtn (we rode up from PA) was basically empty. Everywhere, in general, tourist traffic was light. Some of the motels and B&Bs were just getting open for the summer. It made for some really great motorcycling.

The most crowded place we rode was the Kancamagus Highway- on a sunny Saturday somewhere near the Laconia Bike Week thing, and there were bikes and people everywhere. Still, tho- it didn't suck! :)

...... but my biggest disappointment while traveling solo is when you find yourself standing in front of something truly epic...whether the Grand Canyon or a Giant Sequoia or Niagara Falls...and there's nobody there to share the experience. Nobody for you to say "Holy Crap! Just look at that!"...and nobody to say to you in 20 years "Remember that week we rode the entire PCH from end to end?" or "remember that time in Vermont when you hit that turkey at 50 mph and managed to stay upright?" I have no doubt about my ability to hop on the bike and travel to any address in North America...I'm just on the fence about whether I'll enjoy it as much by myself as when I travel with friends...or even new acquaintances.

I remember that particular 'alone' moment and it really did change my life somewhat dramatically after that. On that trip that I mentioned earlier on that /5, I was sitting in my tent at the Missoula rally in '98, evening with some small hail falling and I was watching lightening off in the distance between to peaks of the mountains. I was boiling some rice and watching the light show in the hills, hoping that my make shift tarp would hold, when I realized that I had noone to share this spectacular moment with. It was at that moment that I resolved to at least make my journeys a two-up or other partner arrangement in the future and that's what happened. Had some very special times since then. Still not a group person but that sharing part is indeed special. Doesn't resolve your conflict but I do understand what you mean. We now have well over 10,000 pictures to prove it :laugh - Bob

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a SPOT tracker. When my husband was planning his 6 week journey from Delaware to Prudhoe Bay, AK, this was my only requirement. I was able to log on during the day and see where they were and if they were moving. At the end of the day, he would use it to send me a text message to say that they arrived safely.

I was telling my friend and a neighbor about it and they insisted I add them to my SPOT tracker list so that when I did my solo trip, they could follow along and know that I was also OK. Prior to that, I hadn't given it much thought but it does provide piece of mind to those you are leaving behind.

I have done a lot of solo travel in a 4wd and will soon be doing some on my F800GS. I have a SPOT ans they are very handy for tracking, but reviews I have seen from folks who had to use the emergency feature vary. If you are going to be going well off the beaten path a PLB (personal locator beacon) is a good idea as well. I carry one in addition to my SPOT and hope to never use it, but when activated it uses the military satellite system and will bring the cavalry to your location. ;)

I remember that particular 'alone' moment and it really did change my life somewhat dramatically after that. On that trip that I mentioned earlier on that /5, I was sitting in my tent at the Missoula rally in '98, evening with some small hail falling and I was watching lightening off in the distance between to peaks of the mountains. I was boiling some rice and watching the light show in the hills, hoping that my make shift tarp would hold, when I realized that I had noone to share this spectacular moment with. It was at that moment that I resolved to at least make my journeys a two-up or other partner arrangement in the future and that's what happened. Had some very special times since then. Still not a group person but that sharing part is indeed special. Doesn't resolve your conflict but I do understand what you mean. We now have well over 10,000 pictures to prove it :laugh - Bob

I think the trick is to balance your life, having just as many "isn't-that-amazing-moments" WITH somebody as you have solo. Or at least don't let there be any great disparity between the two.

I have always enjoyed solo rides for the freedom to follow my own drummer, but solo evenings in the middle of nowhere, well - my own company is pretty boring and the night is so much longer than I can sleep. If I turn in at 8pm I'm up at 4am. Then what?

My wife has a 50 mile butt, so long 2-up trips with her are out. For me, the perfect mix is meeting up with a travel buddy at the end of the day, each of us taking our own path to get there. But my most enjoyable road trips have been with my dog. Barley is good for 14 hour days in the saddle, never complains, approves of my dietary choices and the occasional beer, hangs on my every word like it's the most profound thing he's ever heard, and snuggles better than my wife. He's transformed my long distance adventures!

b12e883e.jpg

I have always enjoyed solo rides for the freedom to follow my own drummer, but solo evenings in the middle of nowhere, well - my own company is pretty boring and the night is so much longer than I can sleep. If I turn in at 8pm I'm up at 4am. Then what?

My wife has a 50 mile butt, so long 2-up trips with her are out. For me, the perfect mix is meeting up with a travel buddy at the end of the day, each of us taking our own path to get there. But my most enjoyable road trips have been with my dog. Barley is good for 14 hour days in the saddle, never complains, approves of my dietary choices and the occasional beer, hangs on my every word like it's the most profound thing he's ever heard, and snuggles better than my wife. He's transformed my long distance adventures!

b12e883e.jpg

I've always liked that photo...first time i saw it, it became a favorite. And!...hate to sound like an old sap but,...reading the last 2/3 of that paragraph put a lump in my throat...here's to many more miles for you & your pal Barley..........Ron

b12e883e.jpg

Dogs do not care if your not a great conversationalist and I can't say that I've ever seen a dog in a side car that wasnt tail wagging happy. Hope to see you and Barley in Salem.

RIDE SAFE

Dogs do not care if your not a great conversationalist and I can't say that I've ever seen a dog in a side car that wasnt tail wagging happy. Hope to see you and Barley in Salem.

RIDE SAFE

Look us up at the rally, Chief. I'll have a bottle of single malt that I'll share with any Marine or fellow chief. (HM, so I had a foot in both worlds.)

Pete and Barley

But my most enjoyable road trips have been with my dog. Barley is good for 14 hour days in the saddle, never complains, approves of my dietary choices and the occasional beer, hangs on my every word like it's the most profound thing he's ever heard, and snuggles better than my wife. He's transformed my long distance adventures!

b12e883e.jpg

Love this photo! I wish I could take my Stoney along for the ride.

Nothing brings back memories better than a camera. Todays cameras (digital) come in all sizes and store HD photos on SD or mini SD cards. I recently purchased a HERO II and plan to use it as I travel to the rally in Salem, OR and back. This camera along with many others can also record record video & sound. I agree that its wonderful to share something like the Grand Conyon in the moment. Pictures allow you to recall those moments. RIDE SAFE
Your comment brings to mind this e.g.-The first Mexico ride partner I hooked up with was a really nice guy, except for the picture thing & a few other issues. He was a hell bent rider that wanted to cover miles vs. stop for a pic, which is more my type of ride when I'm around something notable,i.e., scenery,interesting people,buildings, etc.. OTOH, he would spend way too much time doing his blog each night , at the time I'm more focused on food & beverage, kicking back & walking the town. Thus another reason to ride solo unless you know there's a good match of riding styles. FWIW, I have zero interest in the helmet camera thing but do value some pics here & there & the time to take them is minor in the scheme of a days ride. In todays world others don't share in the general value of trip pics like it used to be when many did slides of a vacation, I suppose that's where the Facebook thing fits in? I see myself being able to look enjoy looking back at some neat MC trips in the photos at a time when I can no longer ride but it does seem with aging that photos of trips take on a new perspective.

Nova Scotia

Meeting up with 5 others in Bangor late July. Picking up wives at Halifax airport then doing the Cabot Trail and sending the girls home via Halifax. Planning 12 days. I did this route in 1974 solo on a 73 R 75/5 camping, flyfishing and loved every day! Don't go so early you catch black fly season! We will return via PEI then Bay of Fundy back to Bangor. There we split for 5 different places. You will always wish you had gone if you don't go! You won't be alone in the wilderness, too many others there in the summer on motorcycles!

John

One summer I had some very decent time off work and I rode from Southern Ontario to Georgia then across the south to California, north to Alberta, south into the States again, across to the Smokies and up the BRP before heading home. 29 days, 20,000 klix. It was awesome. No troubles, no hassles the entire way. It was one of the best road trips I'd ever taken. Be brave and go for it!

Stop and Take a Picture

Your comments on stopping once in a while to take a picture are spot on.... I rode up to Sturgis one short ride a couple of years ago, along the railroad tracks that come down from the coal mines in Idaho or Wyoming I believe, through Nebraska..... (My wife is not a MC rider), but she is a huge train fan, so I figured I could get several train length photos on curves, for her library.....The gentleman who was on the ride with me, did not enjoy the stops in an attempt to get just the right angle.... So, when we parted ways half way through the ride, I was especially thrilled to ride the peak to peak road in Colorado on the way back without him.... and my stop to climb Longs Peak just outside of Estes Park would probably have sent him over the edge.... So, my ride to Salem this year will be solo, and I have 6400 miles already added in to my Garmin.....Can't wait!

PS, I can't believe anyone who would take the time to ride down into Mexico would not want to take the time to document the ride.......Might as well just route a circular route around the city and ride continuously for about two weeks....

OTOH, he would spend way too much time doing his blog each night , at the time I'm more focused on food & beverage, kicking back & walking the town. Thus another reason to ride solo unless you know there's a good match of riding styles.

I rode with a guy who had his own website and did reviews of vehicles. Every 10-minute rest stop turned into 45 minutes with him updating his blog. I had trouble rousting him out of his tent on the day we headed home and between that and the long rest stops, we wound up riding well past midnight, something I would never do. I won't ride with him again.

Most of my road trips have been solo and I enjoyed those. It's very difficult to come up with a riding partner with similar riding style and habits. One of my buddies is an IronButt rider, and that might not work out. There are times I just have to get off the bike every hour to move around.

I do like the freedom of solo touring. You won't be completely alone because you'll meet other bikers on the road and many friendly people at rest stops.

Harry

Back