• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What about camping food?

Dang!!!!!

When i started this, I thought I would get a few recipe ideas.... it has turned into much more... I say keep it going...

and thanks to every one who has contributed...

Pedro

When peeling off the label and poking a hole in a can of chili to heat over the stove make absolutely sure the hole is larger than the size of the beans in the can. No, I didn't do that. I did help clean up the explosive results.

"Wally-World' camping departments sell a 6-compartment plastic container with salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika, seasoned salt and cajun spices- a dash of whatever you fancy will make a big difference to a camp meal. I enjoy a good breakfast and it doesn't take long to heat up a can of corned beef hash over my old but still reliable Trangia stove. Runs on meths or isopropyl alcohol- readily available in most drug stores. I also use "Rice a Roni" style mixes and add a small can of chicken, cooks in about 7 minutes and is cheaper than the freeze dried options. There are various flavours of "just add water" instant mashed potatoes out their too, which can be paired up with a small can of beanie weanies for a basic but filling meal.
I usually cook most of my meals when camping, saving restaurant visits as a treat near the end of a trip.
Cheers,
Ian. :eat

... my old but still reliable Trangia stove. Runs on meths or isopropyl alcohol- readily available in most drug stores.

Denatured alcohol bought by the gallon at your local hardware store might be cheaper. That's what I run in mine, anyway. It addition to the standard trangia set-up I have a second trangia burner and a clickstand. It's a great way to keep dish one warm while I'm cooking dish two.

I haven't tried the rice-a-roni menu, yet. Sounds like a good idea.

Don't forget the old hot-dog-on-a-stick-over-the-campfire.

I grew up in Hawaii... and that state is the number one consumer of spam, a true fact. growing up it was normal.... Moved to Oklahoma and you would have thought you were talking about poison. I once had a BBQ at my place, with all kinds of grilled meat and such. I sliced a can of Spam in strips and put them on k-bob sticks, grilled them and they were the first things to go... you should have seen my friends faces when i told them...

Spam is good stuff.... fattening as hell... but a fried spam sandwich rocks this world...

This has turned into a great discussion... i have many ideas... thanks

If we need to hit the road for a full day ride we start the jetboil french press coffee while we pack the bike. Drink the coffee while finishing loading. Ride until we need gas, breakfest or restroom break.
If we want breakfest while camping the simplest way for us is some type of precooked sausage (andouille or chorizo favorites) a pint of pre mixed scrambled eggs (hate broken eggs in the luggage) and Mini Babybelhttp://www.thelaughingcow.com/products/mini-babybel/ for a nice omlette. Cooked in a 8" camp skillet after our jetboil coffee.
Tony

I hope this isn't too far off thread . I have an MSR- XGK stove (about 25 years old) that uses just about any fuel that I can come up with .
I have spent a lot of time on multi-day river and backpacking trips. I have done 4 course dinners on the San Juan river (not with the XGK) ,and somewhat less( with the XGK) on backpacking trips on the Fryingpan . You can do a lot with a little . Fresh ingredients are great, tempered with what is practical .
I am looking to buy some fuel bottle holders for my new Wolfman saddle bags . I will use the fuel for cooking and have it available for the R1150GS .
I bought the XGK( in the mid '80's( when REI was working out of abandoned grocery stores ) because I liked the idea that it could burn any fuel that was available, no matter where I was in the world ,I could find something inflamable .
Back to the point of the thread , I am creative as I can be . At the start of the trip it may be to the angst of some ,about the extra food and cookware ,but I perserve and now and then recieve compliments from the curmudgeon fellow riders .
In any case, if you start with something that you know how to cook and like to eat, you can get better with practice and have some fun learning how to cook over an open fire .

Gluten free camping food

I carry a French press Jetboil and gluten free oatmeal for breakfast. The oatmeal has to cook for 10 minutes but I usually have curious visitors anyway. A quick morning get away is rare.

Lunch can be trail mix and fruit or a fast food salad (ordering gluten free in local businesses is often a challenge, but I have run into some pleasant surprises).

Dinner is usually at a restaurant, but I need to find some freeze dried backups. The previous comments about Mountain House and the sodium cautions are much appreciated.

Gluten free tips are always welcome!

Gluten free restaurant cards

I carry these gf cards with me all the time. They are extremely useful in explaining that this isn't just a whim of mine but something with serious health consequences. I have them in several languages, which is a huge help when I'm traveling overseas and don't understand the local language.

I tend to pick up salads and such at the local deli counter and avoid freeze dried meals because so few are gf and they all have too much salt. Besides, I love cheese which ups the salt content quite a bit. Small cans of salmon or tuna can compliment a plain salad beautifully and there is no need for cooking.

I always have lots of gf bars in the tank bag for snacking. My latest fave is the KIND fruit and nut bar.

There is a lot of similarities between m/c camping and boat camping. We have an AeroPress coffee press. Works well, easy to clean, quick, good IMO. We use alcohol on the boat for fuel. Lots of small packages of mayo, catchup, pickle relish make great one dish meals when mixed with canned tuna, chicken etc. Also cheese and crackers work well anywhere. Breakfast only needs boiling water for oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar. For a kick, add a little Irish cream! Then the ever popular Tang and a pop tart!

My $01 ...

Great thread!

This outfit: www.minimus.biz - sells ÔÇ£individualÔÇØ / ÔÇ£travel-sizedÔÇØ sized items ÔÇô food & other stuff. A $20 order gets free shipping. I camp with the Boy Scouts, and on the bike, and some of this stuff comes in very handy. (for the record I have no affiliation with the company ;) )

I've started using some of the meat in "pouches" as it packs better than the cans and there is less volume to pack out. Here's one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Starkist-Creations-Hickory-4-5-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B000CQZXRW

I cook when I'm on my GS out in the backcountry where the availability of stores and restaraunts is limited or non existant.

I keep the grocery selection to a minimum with nothing fresh or perishable. I typicaly will just have some variety of hot ceral for breakfast, Red River or Sunny Boy are favourites, Oatmeal is also good. I just buy a standard package of these, then portion out daily servings into Ziploc bags. A glass of Tang and a cup of coffee round out the menu. I have a small collapsable coffee filter basket that fits on a mug to make my brew, no instant coffee ever :sick

Lunches are usually just some trail mix and jerky carried in my Camelback for easy access.

Suppers consist of either some variety of canned meat or if its a good day, perhaps a fresh caught trout. I supplement that with either instant mashed potatoes or minute rice and some dehydrated veggies. These are also pre-portioned into Ziploc bags from the standard packaging.I sometimes will make a simple gumbo/stew with a dried soup base and add the rice and meat and veggies into that.

The only additional ingrediant for making any of this is clean water. I carry a 3L hydration pack and try to keep it topped up. I do also carry a water filter pump to refil from whatever source is at hand, so clean potable water from a tap is not a neccessity for replenishing my supply.

Of course no evening meal would be complete without a wee dram to cap it off. A small flask full of single malt scotch is carried for that need.

I use a Primus LPG stove for all my cooking. Its very much like the JetBoil stove.

When I'm travelling closer to civilization or touring with my wife along, restaraunts for a good breakfast and supper are the preference. We usually skip lunches having just a granola bar or something of that sort to hold us over.

as mentioned in my column, i am currently testing a set of those fold-up/snap-together plate, bowl, cup vs. something very similar to the GSI stuff mentioned above. the fold-up stuff is amazingly compact and easy to clean.

the pain of leaving Uncle Bob's WWII-issue mess kit is killing me, but it's just too heavy for the lighter kit i'm seeking.

FOZZILS_03445.jpg

I have the Orikaso stuff. Easy to fold up, easy to stow, and cleans with a little tongue effort. No more hard sided plates or bowls for me. OTOH, I still carry an insulated mug.

Back