• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To sheepskin or not

bandman

My wife and I will be leaving next week for a 3000 mile journey to Yellowstone from the UP of Michigan. We have an KLT and I want her to be comfy. How valuable are the(AEROSTICH) sheepskin pads to a good ride? Do they keep your bum coolo or cooler than the stock seat? Question - are they worth it to purchase?

sheepskin

Just want to add that I am not a newbie. I have ridden all my life and have put on several 800-900 mile days just myself on my KRS but just wanted to keep the wifey comfy.

Don't know about the Aerostich sheepskins, but I've used a regular lay-your-baby-on-it piece of sheepskin and the comfort was almost sinful. It reduced sweating and felt like floating on a cloud.
Downside is that if it got wet you were sitting on a rain cloud.
For what they cost, I don't think you can go wrong.
Cheers,
Tony

Alaska Sheepskin Butt Pad

You can't go wrong with an Alaska Sheepskin Butt Pad.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront

I used one on a standard seat on my old bike with pretty good success. When I
bought my new 2009 RT I decided to go all out and shell out the big bucks for a Russell Day-Long Saddle. If you really want comfort, that's the way to go. If you're not ready to shell out the big bucks, an Alaska Sheepskin Butt Pad works well and my wife liked the Air Hawk cushion I got for her. Don

Honestly -

The Aerostich sheepskin is not up to par, the Alaska Sheepskin is better. But my experience is that the Beadrider is 1000% better than either.

I usually ride 11,000 + miles a year - in nearly all seasons. The Beadrider is perfect for hot weather riding - I use mine and wear the Aerostich padded riding shorts - keeps air moving under the nether regions.....

http://www.beadrider.com/

Usual disclaimers.

I've Tried Alaska Sheepskin & BeadRider

As noted, I tried the Alaska product on top of a BMW OEM seat on my RT, and then the BeadRider. After about 8000 miles trying to get beyond around 200 miles a day, in cold and heat, I decided to spring the big $$ for a Russell Day-Long. This single change has made all the difference, and my concerns now are not with how many miles I have to go (400+ a couple of times in April), but with gasoline supplies, nutrition, etc. YMMV, but all I can say is that when I settle into the RD-L, I'm doing fine, be it 10 miles or 400 miles.

One caveat, on long days above 85F I wear LD Comfort shorts under my armored pants.

PS - You will have a fine time in Yellowstone NP for sure...and don't miss the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole, WY just south of there. If you're 62 or older, you can get a lifetime pass to the US National Parks for $10.

KLT here too;

My past KLT1200, that is, but the wife loved the comfort of the backseat without anything on it. I had a custom Russel made for the front only and left the rear alone for her. Perfect for our 97000miles on the KLT. I own a Alaska Sheepskin too, two of them and its a good product for my other bikes. The KLT stock "passenger seat" is probably one of the best factory seats around for pillion riders. The front seat brought me to tears on a cross country trip in Kentucky one day as I had ridden 800 miles and the KLT seat was killing me, as stock. I bought the beads for a temp fix on the road and got the Russel made as soon as I got home. A long trip...Randy

I don't know if the Aerostitch is better, but I have a large piece of sheepskin from Ikea. Around $25, It works for me.

Sheepskin is OK, but Beads are the way to go in my opinion. They keep you cool, don't let puddles form on the seat when raining and though they don't look it, (Butt) I find them very comfortable. Have a great ride and what ever you choose I hope it works for you.

Sheepskin can help, Alaska pads are high quality, butt they won't help a crappy seat.

Sitting on a wet sheepskin pad feels like siting on a sponge. It's the reason I take mine off the saddle in very heavy rain. Never had any problem with dye transfer.

I had a Sheepskin and gave it away. I had Beads and gave them away also. The cure for me was a Russell Daylong Seat. No more problems period!!!

My wife and I will be leaving next week for a 3000 mile journey to Yellowstone from the UP of Michigan. We have an KLT and I want her to be comfy. How valuable are the(AEROSTICH) sheepskin pads to a good ride? Do they keep your bum coolo or cooler than the stock seat? Question - are they worth it to purchase?

The Mrs. Enjoys her sheepskin (www.alaskaleatheronline.com) pad Big Time - you can save 10% if interested by using "Deadsheep" when checking out.

We also have a Russell Day long FWIW.

08RT

It's the reason I take mine off the saddle in very heavy rain. Never had any problem with dye transfer.

If you are caught on I35 in Texas in stop and go traffic, you can't just get off and remove the pad. This place has popup showers all of the time!

If you are caught on I35 in Texas in stop and go traffic, you can't just get off and remove the pad. This place has popup showers all of the time!

No need to remove the pad for most rain. You need to be in a gully washer for quite a while before the pad gets uncomfortable, and even then it doesn't really soak up the water unless the bike is parked. Your butt on the pad keeps most of the water out.

No need to remove the pad for most rain. You need to be in a gully washer for quite a while before the pad gets uncomfortable, and even then it doesn't really soak up the water unless the bike is parked. Your butt on the pad keeps most of the water out.

I can vouch for that. Today, crossing a mountain pass in British Columbia, the rain stared pouring down. Temps dropped to 39 degrees. No good place to pull off. When we got to the other side, only the edges of the sheepskin picked up water.

Drying now. No worries. Alaska Leather sheepskin goes everywhere with me.
:heart

Voni
sMiling

Back