• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Was HODAG banned ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO, but I think the reason there are "few regular contributors" is because some folks have something to say about everything or feel a need to stir the pot, regardless of the topic. Gets really boring for a lot of folks. I spend very little time on the forum for just that reason. Again, JMO.

Going for a quick ride now before todays' central Illinois thunderstorm rolls in.

JMO, but I think the reason there are "few regular contributors" is because some folks have something to say about everything or feel a need to stir the pot, regardless of the topic. Gets really boring for a lot of folks. I spend very little time on the forum for just that reason. Again, JMO. ...

Actually, it's not just your opinion. The vitriol after the VT rally sent me away, and I see it coming back. My reaction is the same as yours.

JMO, but I think the reason there are "few regular contributors" is because some folks have something to say about everything or feel a need to stir the pot, regardless of the topic. Gets really boring for a lot of folks. I spend very little time on the forum for just that reason. Again, JMO.

Going for a quick ride now before todays' central Illinois thunderstorm rolls in.

How do I join the CHASMAN club? You have an IBA #, a knights #......and a CHASMAN #.

Does one have to be a Manley to get in? If so, there sure are a lot of you!!!!

And that's why I :lurk

tb:p

There is an underlying premise that I could agree with in this post, yet there is a hint of stereotyping that I am uncomfortable with.

It is easily argued that the letters to the editor in ON have been more heated in the past year. I think that is a sign of long term growth, strength of the organization and wisdom in the hiring of Vince. He is an editor that is willing to print letters form various sides of an issue.

The forum has been very vitriolic at times over my membership in it. I may not like it when it happens, but it is often the byproduct of forums that allow open discussion among members.

Quantity is not an effective metric for valuing posts. Members have used savage bombs as their first post. Some of the most troublesome posts I have seen have come from posters with less than 50 posts to their credit. If I had just written a post welcoming each person that has joined the forum after I did I would have a post count in the range of 18,000 posts. I would have said and contributed nothing more than being a forum version of the Wall Mart greater.

We currently have people posting ranging in years from 16 to 60 or more. Their interests in motorcycling range from short haul commuting to various forms of long distance riding. The website is continually becoming a more important part of the benefits of membership. How do we find a common ground and language among us?

For me the answer is found in this line from About the MOA:

ÔÇ£The goal of the club is to promote the camaraderie and friendship of individual members and BMW motorcycle clubs.ÔÇØ

There will always be lurkers, sparse posters and the verbose. How we form our own posts as individuals and how we form the rules for the forum as an association has to be for a purpose. For me that purpose is summed up in that statement.

There is an underlying premise that I could agree with in this post, yet there is a hint of stereotyping that I am uncomfortable with.

It is easily argued that the letters to the editor in ON have been more heated in the past year. I think that is a sign of long term growth, strength of the organization and wisdom in the hiring of Vince. He is an editor that is willing to print letters form various sides of an issue.

The forum has been very vitriolic at times over my membership in it. I may not like it when it happens, but it is often the byproduct of forums that allow open discussion among members.

Quantity is not an effective metric for valuing posts. Members have used savage bombs as their first post. Some of the most troublesome posts I have seen have come from posters with less than 50 posts to their credit. If I had just written a post welcoming each person that has joined the forum after I did I would have a post count in the range of 18,000 posts. I would have said and contributed nothing more than being a forum version of the Wall Mart greater.

We currently have people posting ranging in years from 16 to 60 or more. Their interests in motorcycling range from short haul commuting to various forms of long distance riding. The website is continually becoming a more important part of the benefits of membership. How do we find a common ground and language among us?

For me the answer is found in this line from About the MOA:

ÔÇ£The goal of the club is to promote the camaraderie and friendship of individual members and BMW motorcycle clubs.ÔÇØ

There will always be lurkers, sparse posters and the verbose. How we form our own posts as individuals and how we form the rules for the forum as an association has to be for a purpose. For me that purpose is summed up in that statement.

:thumb

(eeks - just added to my post count)

How do I join the CHASMAN club? You have an IBA #, a knights #......and a CHASMAN #.

Does one have to be a Manley to get in? If so, there sure are a lot of you!!!!

I've had lunch with a Manley, does that count towards membership?:wave

JMO, but I think the reason there are "few regular contributors" is because some folks have something to say about everything or feel a need to stir the pot, regardless of the topic.

But, we do have regular contributors none the less, including those that responde to about everything. The number of people that take an active role in this forum is really quite small considering the size of the organization and for that reason I think the folks that do contribute should strive to maintain some civility and yes be censored when it gets out of had. We may be the only view to the greater club that new folks get and we should try to make it a good first impression. Yes it is our forum, but we should remember that what we write is how non-members will view the entire club. /rant

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

But, we do have regular contributors none the less, including those that responde to about everything. The number of people that take an active role in this forum is really quite small considering the size of the organization and for that reason I think the folks that do contribute should strive to maintain some civility and yes be censored when it gets out of had. We may be the only view to the greater club that new folks get and we should try to make it a good first impression. Yes it is our forum, but we should remember that what we write is how non-members will view the entire club. /rant

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

:thumb

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

amen to that brother:D

Perhaps I could follow a lot of the sniping back and forth on this thread, but (surprise) several
of the most ascerbic participants are ALREADY LONG TERM RESIDENTS ON MY PERSONAL
IGNORE LIST as a result of my having found them to historically have little of value to add
to these forums in general.

Quel dommage. Quel salade :violin

Perhaps I could follow a lot of the sniping back and forth on this thread, but (surprise) several
of the most ascerbic participants are ALREADY LONG TERM RESIDENTS ON MY PERSONAL
IGNORE LIST as a result of my having found them to historically have little of value to add

I'm so confused. It sounds like a list I really hope to never make.
So concerned in fact ... I compulsively went back to check the drivel of content in my posts on this thread to see if I qualify for designation as an acerbity.
I just want to be hugged...

HHHMMMM does the above count as possible sniper fire????

:stick :nyah

YB lost 20% of membership last year!

Attitudes such as those displayed above might explain a massive loss of membership. Those who join for the magazine leave when they don't care for the mix of articles, pictures, lack of technical articles, etc. Those who join for the camaraderie (good fellowship) leave when it is sorely lacking. Sadly that is often the case within certain cliques. As the owner of more than one make of bike, those who are compelled to put down those not "like us" are a real turn off.:bolt

YB lost 20% of membership last year!
Attitudes such as those displayed above might explain a massive loss of membership. Those who join for the magazine leave when they don't care for the mix of articles, pictures, lack of technical articles, etc. Those who join for the camaraderie (good fellowship) leave when it is sorely lacking. Sadly that is often the case within certain cliques. As the owner of more than one make of bike, those who are compelled to put down those not "like us" are a real turn off.:bolt

What is YB ? Where is the massive loss of membership ?

too cool for me.....

Having nothing to contribute and not aspiring to belong to the august yankee beemers or sled dogs, I have but one thing to say........
The sky is crying,
Look at the tears rolling down the streets.
The sky is crying,
Look at the tears rolling down the streets.
I looked out my window,
The rain was falling down in sheets.---Elmore James

Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back