• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looks like I'm joining the water pump club

dmftoy1

Noticed coolant weeping out of the weep hole today (7375 miles). Was watching heat shield on pre-ride checks per some good advice from another member and cooked on blue coolant drops are real obvious. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335311288.621193.jpg

It's still under warranty. It might just be the gasket. Still an easy fix (I think) if I had to do it myself.
Is this a known problem? It sounds as tho' someone was warning you about this possibility.
dc

It's still under warranty. It might just be the gasket. Still an easy fix (I think) if I had to do it myself.
Is this a known problem? It sounds as tho' someone was warning you about this possibility.
dc

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...1-why-bmw-released-bike-so-many-problems.html David13, I would say that over half of the K16 Owners over at www.k1600forum.com have had their water pump fail.

The other half of us are just waiting for our K16 water pumps to fail, what a joke!

Why BMW has not issued a recall on this item is beyond me, the original water pumps are junk! I leave for Alaska on June 18 with my 15 year old Son Seth.

I'll be packing the new and improved water pump with me and all tools to replace.

Sort of sounds like the story of me and the fuel pressure controller.
Anyway, if it is a new and improved design, designed to be a fix for a faulty pump, there is still time to do the job here, in a more controlled environment prior to departure, rather than on the side of the road, etc.
dc

Warranty book says its a 15 minute repair so should be pretty quick. Dealer ordered parts today. Fwiw it didn't leave me stranded or anything.

Warranty book says its a 15 minute repair so should be pretty quick. Dealer ordered parts today. Fwiw it didn't leave me stranded or anything.

Right you are Dmftoy1, so easily a 15 minute repair; probably could be done in 10!

That's why I'm not sweating it, as long as I have the part with me on my "Gisele".

I first rode the street on my 1959 Triumph Speed Twin 500 in March of 1963 at 15.

Then I owned 1964 Norton Atlas 750 and then owned 1967 BSA Victor Special 441

Thanks to owning three Limey Bikes, I have absolutely no fear of roadside repairs!

I wasn't thinking about fear, I was thinking about comfort. But with the background you state, maybe it's even comfortable for you.
dc

Well my first bike was a 1966 Triumph Bonneville 650. All I carried was spare nuts and bolts and wrenches. If something left the bike I just turned around, picked it up and put it back on. Oh and I had a spare master link on my leather jacket zipper pull tab. What a fun bike that was!!!

Rick H.

I'll be packing the new and improved water pump with me and all tools to replace.

What evidence do you have that there is a "new and improved" water pump? I've considered purchasing one to put on the shelf but couldn't get any information on whether a pump I purchased now would be any different.

Evidence? Nothing other than third hand gossip. What I heard was that the third party supplier of pumps had a bad run of seals and there was a wait last sept/October while they switched suppliers. Fwiw

Evidence? Nothing other than third hand gossip. What I heard was that the third party supplier of pumps had a bad run of seals and there was a wait last sept/October while they switched suppliers. Fwiw

Dmftoy1 this is the same thing that is being told to me by all of the Arizona BMW Dealers.

The Part Number is the same, but no longer is manufactured by the original parts vendor.

That might explain why my bike went into BMW limbo at the factory for the month of October last year. It was manufactured early in October but didn't get changed to the status for having been crated and shipped for a month after that.

+1, Gunny; unfortunately, that seems to be the case!

Good News and Bad News Joke!

Bad News: My original K1600GT water pump puked its guts and is now being replaced.

Good News: It did it at 5.5K miles here in my hometown of Chandler and is being replaced as we speak by Victory BMW. "Gisele" is also getting her 6K service and new PR3 tires.

Really Good News: My Son Seth and I are leaving for Alaska on Gisele on June 18 and I was planning on dragging a new water pump along with us. Thanks to this WP failure occurring locally (I'm an Eternal Optimist!) I no longer am fearing a road WP replacement!

Well, I have 2,000 miles on my GT. I am planning a 1800 mile trip in July. What should I do? Run the risk or.....???

Well, I have 2,000 miles on my GT. I am planning a 1800 mile trip in July. What should I do? Run the risk or.....???

Hi Mike, how have you been? Are you traveling where you will be near any BMW dealers?

If so, if your case winds up being like mine, you may have a 1K window before it scatters!

With we Stanley Boys after we pass through Kelowna, BC the next shop is in Anchorage!!!

I wouldn't worry about til it starts seeping. Put 1400 miles on mine after it started weeping and reservoir was barely off of max. I don't think it's the sort of thing that will strand you.

Just my .02

Back