• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windshield-Questions?

helmut_head

I am thinking it may be time to get a new windshield due to a fair amount of surface scratches on my original.

Wondering if any of you more experienced guys can comment about scratch resistance of the BMW Vs. others such as Parabellum or Clearview. Does one stand above the other for scratch resistance or other reasons?

Thanks for the anticipated responses!

HH
:banghead

IMHO the BMW scratches easier because it is a softer, more flexible material. My wife ruined a brand new one on my RT when she tried to wipe off West Texas bugs and dust with a dry cloth. The RS ones seem to yellow faster too.

Lots of scratches are self-inflicted. Use a wet towel left on the windshield for a while to loosen the bugs rather than (essentially) scraping them off.

If you haven't replaced an RT windshield before know that the ~$40 IIRC gasket is a one-time-use item (you'll need a new one) so you'll maybe want to get it all right the first time.

I've purchased 3 different RS windscreens from Parabellum, and have never been disappointed.

I cannot speak to an RT screen, but I will say Charlie at Parabellum is very good to work with.

I wonder how one of those headlight cover restore kits would work.
The sand paper portion of the process would be skipped if there is no yellowing, but the 3000 grit pad and then the polishing pad may work.
If there are no deep scratches, then the polishing compound alone might do the job and if you run out, get some of the stuff body shops use to buff out clear coat.
I understand that the W/S is a softer plastic than the HL covers but it might work.
I recently used a 3M kit on lights and was impressed. ~$12.00 for the kit at an auto parts store.

I've used polishing compound on windshields in the past with good results.

I am thinking it may be time to get a new windshield.

What for when you can bring it back to like-new condition.

I have a stock BMW windshield on my GS Adventure and have polished it to like new condition using the same polish I use on my car's paint.

You'll need a quality Dual Action orbital buffer (I use a Flex XC 3401 VRG) and an ultra fine polish (I use Meguiar's professional 205).

I've been there with the refinish, the shield is beginning to bend light like an old glass window from uneven polishing- leaving myself open. It looks good for a few months, but it's very prone to getting scratches over time, from any debris on my polishing cloths. I have no idea how any debris could be there. Wondering if any of the aftermarket shields are more scratch resistant than the stock BMW unit.

Thanks!

Back