• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Year's Day Texas Country Run - FM3090 & HWY 149

texanrt

New Year's Day Texas Country Run - FM3090 & FM149

A local favorite is Texas FM149 running from Montgomery through Richards and Anderson, TX. This is one of my favorite runs. On New Year's Day I was able to make a clean run through -- very little traffic. As 149 cuts through Sam Houston National Forest, there are some nice twisties and elevation changes -- nothing dramatic -- this is Houston. Along the way you can see the Grimes County Courthouse sitting atop a hill from a ways off.

500.jpg

The courthouse was built in 1891, according to the historical marker pictured below and has twice withstood fires. The most interesting line is the last..."Tried here in 1930's, A Clyde Barrow gang member vowed he'd see court in infernal regions."

501.jpg

Here's the attorney's office behind the courthouse.

502.jpg

FM149 ends at FM3090 (Farm-to-Market), another favored road for its many curves. A few miles down is this abandoned bridge. A new bridge was built and the road moved some years ago, but I think the old bridge is much more interesting.

503.jpg

Another historical marker along FM3090 indicates this as the site of the Piedmont Springs resort favored for its local sulphur springs. Once there was a 4 story 100-room hotel built around 1860 that featured billards, poker, horse racing and dancing -- General Sam Houston is claimed to have danced the Minuet here. The resort closed after the economic panic in the 1870's. What stands here now are a few old structures.

504.jpg

Gratuitous motorcycle pic. Along FM3090, many of the houses are built close to the road. What I've really come to appreciate is the new bike is quiet. I can ride up and down these country roads all day without disturbing the neighbors.

505.jpg

An abandoned hay bailer I've passed a hundred times before. I bet lots of other riders have passed here too.

506.jpg

I don't know why I chose this pic except that as I turned my bike around on the road they all looked up -- when I pulled the camera out of my pocket, they started crowding in for a photo -- well, it seemed that way.

507.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report! visited friends in Conroe and they took me thru the area when I had the HD. Nice part of the world. Is 149 the road they named Montgomery Trace or something like that that runs thru the forest?

Montgomery Trace Video

Nice report! visited friends in Conroe and they took me thru the area when I had the HD. Nice part of the world. Is 149 the road they named Montgomery Trace or something like that that runs thru the forest?

Yes -- you're correct. 149 runs through the Sam Houston National Forest. I had heard the name "Montgomery Trace" before but wasn't sure so I checked it on google and came up with this video -- it's grainy and the windscreen isn't very clear but you'll get the idea.

Montgomery Trace FM149 Part 1 of 2

Montgomery Trace Part 2 of 2

It's not that demanding a road -- but I've seen the results of a couple of crashes -- riders leaving the roadway. Most recently, I rode by just after a guy and his passenger crashed their brand new Gold Wing. They were okay, but the bike was not rideable -- the entire fairing was crushed on the right side. They were lucky to be walking around -- because I didn't see helmets, jackets, boots, or gloves anywhere around.

Yes -- you're correct. 149 runs through the Sam Houston National Forest. I had heard the name "Montgomery Trace" before but wasn't sure so I checked it on google and came up with this video -- it's grainy and the windscreen isn't very clear but you'll get the idea.

Montgomery Trace FM149 Part 1 of 2

Montgomery Trace Part 2 of 2

It's not that demanding a road -- but I've seen the results of a couple of crashes -- riders leaving the roadway. Most recently, I rode by just after a guy and his passenger crashed their brand new Gold Wing. They were okay, but the bike was not rideable -- the entire fairing was crushed on the right side. They were lucky to be walking around -- because I didn't see helmets, jackets, boots, or gloves anywhere around.

Cool, that's it. I thought I saw a new road sign in Montgomery off of 105 the last time we cut thru there on way back to Austin.

We saw two cruisers slide in a corner... wet pine needles in winter . And a little "hot" entry!

deja vu

Great post on one of my favorite rides. I didn't realize there was so much history along the route. Let me know if you want to get together sometime for a ride. I live in the Woodlands and ride all over that area quite often.

Ride

Cool. I'm going to try and get out Saturday, weather permtting of course.
thanks

There's a group of us from the Houston club that ride this route most Sundays. We meet at a Denny's near 1960/290, then ride to Montgomaery where we stop at the Texaco gas station before riding north to 3090 and stopping at Navasota. You are welcome to join us. There are more details on our website at www.bmwclub.org

There's a group of us from the Houston club that ride this route most Sundays. We meet at a Denny's near 1960/290, then ride to Montgomaery where we stop at the Texaco gas station before riding north to 3090 and stopping at Navasota. You are welcome to join us. There are more details on our website at www.bmwclub.org

I'm going to plan for that soon -- thanks for the invite. I'm planning to stop by the Hickory Hollow meet up in the Heights as well.

Back