• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Airport Luggage

bobr9

I do a fair amount of business travel by plane, usually short duration trips of 1-3 days, and live about 100 miles from the airport. In an effort to increase my bike riding time I have used it a few times to get me to the airport and back. Works ok but I would like to find a better solution for my luggage. Bike is a 99 R1100RT.

I have been strapping my standard overhead compartment size roller luggage on the back seat inside a plastic garbage bag. Not a real elegant solution. Wondering if there are other business blokes like me using their bike for airport commute and if so how are you carrying your stuff? Would be nice if there was a waterproof roller luggage available. Thanks....

What about just using your saddlebags as luggage?

I have never tried it, I don't fly anywhere.

Just askin'.

Last edited:
I have a Givi T450 trolley bag that fits right onto a givi tail bag plate. When I was traveling more I'd just take the hard top case off, snap this one on and off to the airport I went. It's a roller bag. I use it even when i don't ride the bike to the airport.

I see my specific bag has been discontinued but Givi has other trolley bags. Take a look.

You can also get a mounting system for Pelican cases (they have roller bags). I have a rolling Pelican on my RT with a totally custom made system (with aux fuel tank). It's great just to disconnect it at the end of a day and roll it into a hotel.

Last edited:
Wow this would be great for commuting easily with a laptop etc. inside of my backpack inside a Givi.

What about just using your saddlebags as luggage?

I have never tried it, I don't fly anywhere.

Just askin'.

I use my panniers and givi top case to store my riding gear, so I am looking more for a waterproof roller carry on that I can strap to the rear seat.

Well, the pelican's are waterproof.

Or you can pack your travel bags in the side case liners and travel with those while storing your gear in the side cases.

Bob, like you, I live 100 miles from the (Atlanta) airport and ride my RT for each of my trips. I average 29 trips a year and have been doing so for the past 8 years. I use a standard roller-board strapped to my the handles next to the rear seat. I use my topcase for a soft shoulder bag for my computer and the side cases for a moto cover and for a change of shoes or other comfortable flying clothes when I remove my gear in the airport park and ride lot. I carry a heavy duty plastic leaf bag if it looks like rain on my trip to the airport or the forecasted return trip. I ride rain or shine, cold or hot, so about 6000 of my annual miles are airport commute miles. My major dread is heavy rain happening when the Park-N-Ride shuttle drops me off. Uncovering, unlocking, and gearing up while getting soaked kind of ruins the normally anticipated hour and a half ride home.

Over the years, I've tried some different moto-specific bags and gear, but nothing beats a rollerboard if I have a lot of stuff, or just a good size backpack, if I'm travelling light. The leaf bag solves the rain problem, at least for the rollerboard contents.

Travel Luggage

I've been happy with the small size Ortlieb Rack Pack. I pack my clothes in it, including my laptop somewhere in the middle of the clothing. Then use my ROK straps to secure it on the luggage rack. It's perfect for 2-3 days of travel, is waterproof and has been very durable....not to mention waterproof in case I run through a shower.

Here's a link:

www.bikebagshop.com/ortlieb-rack-pack-large-p-1038.html

Bob, like you, I live 100 miles from the (Atlanta) airport and ride my RT for each of my trips. I average 29 trips a year and have been doing so for the past 8 years. I use a standard roller-board strapped to my the handles next to the rear seat. I use my topcase for a soft shoulder bag for my computer and the side cases for a moto cover and for a change of shoes or other comfortable flying clothes when I remove my gear in the airport park and ride lot. I carry a heavy duty plastic leaf bag if it looks like rain on my trip to the airport or the forecasted return trip. I ride rain or shine, cold or hot, so about 6000 of my annual miles are airport commute miles. My major dread is heavy rain happening when the Park-N-Ride shuttle drops me off. Uncovering, unlocking, and gearing up while getting soaked kind of ruins the normally anticipated hour and a half ride home.

Over the years, I've tried some different moto-specific bags and gear, but nothing beats a rollerboard if I have a lot of stuff, or just a good size backpack, if I'm travelling light. The leaf bag solves the rain problem, at least for the rollerboard contents.

Charlie....thanks for the info. I also fly out of Atlanta, although I am located in NE Georgia. My experience with using the plastic leaf bag on the carry-on is that it tends to slip out of the rok straps I have securing it. Although I never lost it, I am nervous about it and find myself always looking back at it to make sure it hasn't shifted. Maybe I just am not securing it properly.

Do you use the park-n-ride in lieu of the covered airport lots because they are lower cost? Is there a special place for m/c's in the park-n-ride lot? Ever have any issues with people messing with the bike?

I've been happy with the small size Ortlieb Rack Pack. I pack my clothes in it, including my laptop somewhere in the middle of the clothing. Then use my ROK straps to secure it on the luggage rack. It's perfect for 2-3 days of travel, is waterproof and has been very durable....not to mention waterproof in case I run through a shower.

Here's a link:

www.bikebagshop.com/ortlieb-rack-pack-large-p-1038.html

Thanks for the info. I have a First Gear bag that is similar to the Ortlieb. My problem with using it on business is having to lug it with my computer bag. That is what makes the roller carry-on so convenient as I can just hook my laptop case to it and wheel it around.

Bob,

I use the Park-N-Ride C lot. It's the one on the right. I enter it, whether closed or not, make a U-turn at the first stop sign and park between the fence and the cars in Row 15D. No cars can touch the bike where its parked due to the fence and the car stops. There is a security camera just above where i park. The bus drivers have gotten to know me and where i park and are pretty helpful (I always tip) and thank them by name (name is on a plate above the driver). When the lot is closed and they are picking up passengers in the A lot or the B lot, they usually send a bus over to pick me up, or I'll just walk over to the other lots. I cover my bike. I've never had any problem with anyone messing with the bike after hundreds of flights. I would much rather park there rather than in the covered lots because of the security cameras and someone is ALWAYS driving in and out of the lot next to the fence where i'm located.

Bob,

I use the Park-N-Ride C lot. It's the one on the right. I enter it, whether closed or not, make a U-turn at the first stop sign and park between the fence and the cars in Row 15D. No cars can touch the bike where its parked due to the fence and the car stops. There is a security camera just above where i park. The bus drivers have gotten to know me and where i park and are pretty helpful (I always tip) and thank them by name (name is on a plate above the driver). When the lot is closed and they are picking up passengers in the A lot or the B lot, they usually send a bus over to pick me up, or I'll just walk over to the other lots. I cover my bike. I've never had any problem with anyone messing with the bike after hundreds of flights. I would much rather park there rather than in the covered lots because of the security cameras and someone is ALWAYS driving in and out of the lot next to the fence where i'm located.

Great information Charlie...I will try this out next time....

Interesting....are these waterproof?

Well, I was once caught in a heavy rain for more than 2 hours riding north up in Wisconsin and by the time I got to the hotel some water had gotten in.
When under light rain or short heavy rain, all my clothes were dry.
Having said this, I would not say they are waterproof, but they are effective to carry my suits, shirts and ties whenever I ride out of town for a few days.

This is what you want...

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1560LOC

Are you checking the luggage or carry on?

In either case I use this when I travel for business.

11762_1_.jpg

It is a little "oversize" for a carry on, but I have never been unable to take it on a plane and I fly 100+ flights a year.

You know that the Pelican case is water proof so no worries there...

Back