• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/10/07

Thank you Ben. One thing I have learned from this is I don't have the photographer "eye." It is much harder for me to set up shots, than I thought it would be.

Here is a photo, but not the photo.
knopf_crew.jpg

My father had 2, 4X3(?) and 8X10.
When I get home, I will post the 8X10 in the anarchy thread.
That is the one he is posing with.
The photo above at the site http://www.446bg.com/
I had sent it because they were asking for photos and bios and stories.
It is pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Some just pointed me to this site a Nikon D80 or Cannon rebel XTi for only $209!!! (body only) or a D200 for $459!! Yikes! Quick everyone, THE ROCKETMAN NEEDS YOUR HELP! Please provide me with good excuses to by another Nikon body!!!:D that D200 with the magnesium body (instead of the plastic D80), boy would that fit nicely on the bike! It DOES get kinda bumpy on some of those back roads I like!:D )

Seriously though that seems like a pretty good deal on bodys and they seem to have some good prices on packages and on lens (unless the prices overall have dropped recently, heck I paid 800 plus for my D80 with the "kit" lens just shy of a year ago) sooooo.........
anyone thinking going to a DSLR who's been putting off, you got on excuses now :stick

RM

I don't know what site you're referring to, so I'm shooting in the dark here. . . .

1. If a price seems to good to be true, it probably is.
  2. Check B&H Photo or Canoga Camera. Their prices are the lowest legitemate prices that I can find. Anything lower, I'd bet something is wrong.
  3. I read from a reputable source that there is a concentration of nefarious storefronts--I believe in Brooklyn--that are known for taking your money and either not delivering the goods or delivering something other than what was promised.

Caveat emptor, my friend. Jack's advice above is solid.

Oh, and for what it's worth, money aside, you definitely should get a new camera. No question about it. Life's too short not to keep your equipment up to date.

Seriously though that seems like a pretty good deal on bodys and they seem to have some good prices on packages and on lens (unless the prices overall have dropped recently, heck I paid 800 plus for my D80 with the "kit" lens just shy of a year ago) sooooo.........
anyone thinking going to a DSLR who's been putting off, you got on excuses now :stick

RM
How about: "I don't have 209 or 459 dollars?" That seems like a good excuse to me.
:stick

I don't know what site you're referring to, so I'm shooting in the dark here. . . .

1. If a price seems to good to be true, it probably is.
  2. Check B&H Photo or Canoga Camera. Their prices are the lowest legitemate prices that I can find. Anything lower, I'd bet something is wrong.
  3. I read from a reputable source that there is a concentration of nefarious storefronts--I believe in Brooklyn--that are known for taking your money and either not delivering the goods or delivering something other than what was promised.

Caveat emptor, my friend. Jack's advice above is solid.

Oh, and for what it's worth, money aside, you definitely should get a new camera. No question about it. Life's too short not to keep your equipment up to date.

yeah, I hear that! I was really being only half serious (i.e. help me find an excuse to by another Nikon) and would question such myself, but having lens and everything else plus extra batteries blah blah, another body would be nice...

For a first buy, I too would only go where I can get a hands on feel for the item, whatever it was. Guess the tougue-in-cheek didn't come across to well, eh? (note, I didn't post the web site either)

but yeah a D200 hmmmmm.......

Sorry about that folks....:bow :deal

RM

(I also know of a great price for land in the artic :D )

but having lens and everything else plus extra batteries blah blah, another body would be nice...

I have been there with an extra body. I never used the extra one. I always went for the one I liked the most (best one...however measured). I'm not into photography and haven't done so for many years, but thinking about it again.
I have also tried having two of the exact same things (one for a spare like in bikes), but that doesn't work well for me either. No two of the same are really the same and I have to force myself to use the other for awhile and then I'm ok with it (talking bikes here now). YMMV, but that seems to be the way I am. My wife thinks it is a good thing...heh.
I guess if I were wanting to back up my camera (not being on a moon trip or anything) I would save my money and if the one broke, just order another overnight or something with the money I saved up. Same thinking goes for extended warranties.
Oh and thanks for this post, though. I found it interesting. I had been looking at those sites recently and opted out of the really low ball prices for reasons stated. I went with an established store on a photographer friends recommendation.

I have been there with an extra body. I never used the extra one. I always went for the one I liked the most (best one...however measured). I'm not into photography and haven't done so for many years, but thinking about it again.
I have also tried having two of the exact same things (one for a spare like in bikes), but that doesn't work well for me either. No two of the same are really the same and I have to force myself to use the other for awhile and then I'm ok with it (talking bikes here now). YMMV, but that seems to be the way I am. My wife thinks it is a good thing...heh.
I guess if I were wanting to back up my camera (not being on a moon trip or anything) I would save my money and if the one broke, just order another overnight or something with the money I saved up. Same thinking goes for extended warranties.
Oh and thanks for this post, though. I found it interesting. I had been looking at those sites recently and opted out of the really low ball prices for reasons stated. I went with an established store on a photographer friends recommendation.

I hear ya and in part I keep having to remind myself its not like back in the day when you had several bodies because you needed different films in each. With digital you can can change to what you need on the fly, i.e. ISO speed, convert to B&W etc and having now sucessfully cleaned the sensor myself (it ain't THAT hard once you study up on it and have the right tools) which was the one big reason folks I've discussed this multiple body issues with say for having more than one body in regards to changing lens and letting in dust, is kinda moot. Still I worry some about hauling my D80 around in the bike, esp my airhead, it has kind of a harsh ride, or shooting at the beach. It would be nice to have one for not so kind enviornments, and for that kind of price almost worth the risk. My co-worker did say he checked them out and you do get everything that would come in the box from anywhere else, still ???? tempting none the less, but I'm really holding out to get a nice 2.8 F lens.
or another bike, or take another trip or or or....:D

I also learned once again just the day about not going the cheap route.. I went to buy a new tripod, got it home and the pan head was a little flakey so I took it back and then said what the hell... spend anther 40 and got something with better pan head and two handles for tilt and pan and all metal, instead of the cheaper one that had thumb screws for side tilt lock and no level for tilt. All in all a much better tripod. As I told the serivce person on returning the first "I don't why I got this in the first place, its not like I can't afford the better unit!" Duh! guess I'm just getting used to finally being in a posision where I really CAN afford the better stuff, I just happened to have taken the long hard way! (i.e. never did the college thing) so its taking a bit of getting used too! Ha Ha!

sometimes I'm my own worst enemy, :D

RM

Back