• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sandy

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
Our hatches are all battened as Hurricane Sandy looks like it will swing right up the Delaware bay/river and smack us good.

The nitwit neighbors to my left have done nothing to prepare and have patio furniture, plants, and other potential projectiles all over the deck. I'm just hoping as I always do that our neighbor's huge tree on the right doesn't come crashing down. If it does, it will land on my house.

Hubby packed a bag and went to work so it's just me and the dog. I think we're ready.

Stay safe, everyone!

The GS is safe,right? Hope you all come through fine.Both our kids are in New Hampshire,one by the coast and one over by Vermont.Will be a tense few days.Good luck..Ed

Thanks, Ed. The GS's are safely tucked in to the garage, both with full tanks of gas just in case. :D

All the potential projectiles are stored. Even had to dedecorate for Halloween.

With high winds and having their full load of leaves, I have a couple of trees that I'm worried about, but can't do anything about it now. Today, I watch Tivo'ed motoGP, tomorrow, I clean up. :)

This is one bad storm. Those of you in the path should leave NOW. Having lived in Florida and South Carolina the past 25 years has taught me to take a Hurricane very seriously. No property is worth your life. Good luck to all.

I read where DC, Boston, most of Pennsylvania are closing schools for the next couple of days.

Roads in eastern MA have very light traffic (this is an old picture). Schools are closed as well as many businesses. Public transit is shutting down at 2PM.

8135191047_2ac8c6245f_z.jpg

Good Luck to all those in the path of these storms.

I seriously hope the predictions are way overblown (pun intended).

All local schools closed today and tomorrow. I worked a half day and was sent home. Some concern about the 77' Silver Maple that is near the house, has 1/3 or so leaves left on it. Another 65' Silver Maple on the other side of the house. Guess we could end up with a new roof....... (and trusses, ceiling, etc., etc.) Glad I'm no where near the coast, this looks to be bad enough and we are 2 1/2 hours to the shore!

Hurricane winds

I live in just about central MA up by the NH border. It was pretty tame this morning and I was thinking that maybe I should have gone into work. But I had work with me so stayed home. Then the wind picked up... and picked up... and picked up and it's been really howling outside for the past few hours. Just in the last hour or so I've started hearing things hitting the house and upon looking outside am seeing tree limbs leaning up on the house (condo out in the woods). Now I'm getting some respect for this lady.

Louise

The Bloomsburg fairgrounds will likely get a fresh coating of flood sediment.

NOAA is calling for 3 to 6" of rain and winds up to 60-mph. Most of the action will be tonight and early tomorrow. Unfortunately, most of the flood control dams appear to at normal summer recreation levels, so they might not help much in diffusing/tempering the run-off.

At times like these, it good to know that we have things like NOAA, FEMA, US Army Corp of Engineers, Coast Guard, State Police, the first responders, etc. ........ just to deal with one of Mother Nature's bad moods.

Thanks, Ed. The GS's are safely tucked in to the garage, both with full tanks of gas just in case. :D

East of I-81, Pennsylvania Emergency Management wants you to stay-off the highway on your GS or that empty 18-wheeler. Just in case you were considering any trips out in the weather.

Our hatches are all battened as Hurricane Sandy looks like it will swing right up the Delaware bay/river and smack us good.

The nitwit neighbors to my left have done nothing to prepare and have patio furniture, plants, and other potential projectiles all over the deck. I'm just hoping as I always do that our neighbor's huge tree on the right doesn't come crashing down. If it does, it will land on my house.

Hubby packed a bag and went to work so it's just me and the dog. I think we're ready.

Stay safe, everyone!

Shame your neighbor seems to have no concern with what damage those things flying around , can do to others....some just do not care.

At any rate stay safe, and hold on to your doggy! Prayers & best wishes to you & all others in the storms path!!!

Considering the path of the storm, I expected a lot worse than we got. Thankfully we didn't even lose power. Nothing more than a ton of rain and fallen leaves to clean up.

Hope the rest of you are all warm and dry, safe and sound.

I'm sitting in dry, calm Texas observing. I'm pretty sure when it is all over that like Katrina in New Orleans, the vast majority of damage will be from flood events and not damage from high winds. That, and losses due to power being out for a week or two, or three.

Kind of a non-event here in Western NY, yes some rain, winds have subsided to a breeze. Last nights wind didn't even take all the remaining leaves off the trees, a couple gusts to the 50 mph range, but we get that a dozen times a year anyway.

Couple more days of some rain and looks like it will be gone

Here near Buffalo, no snow even in the forecast.

I'm in upstate NY. In Greene County we had 200 people without power, and Ulster county below Greene had 17,000 people without power. Below the Catskill Mountains they had 40-50 mph winds. Up in the valleys of the mountains they had 75 mph winds. On the mountain tops they got 100 mph winds, but they are higher in the jet stream. Everything here is closed. Schools should open tomorrow. The further south you go, the worse it gets. The shoreline around NY, NJ, MD, DE have lots of water damage as you might expect. Outside this region, there is wind damage.

Last year I was 10 miles from ground zero for Hurricane Irene. We expected significant wind damage. But, we got little wind damage, and significant water levels. Mainly because of 15 inches of rain, and reservoirs failing. You just never know what you'll get with a hurricane. Especially if mountains are involved.

Back