• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 K75 sitting for six years

schembr

I have just been given a 1994 K75 (12k miles) that had been sitting for six years following a low-speed accident that injured the riders far more than the bike. The bike has only a slightly dinged gas tank and lost the right-side turn signals and mirror. The rider, however, was spooked and the bike was relegated to the garage.

I put a new battery in it (what the hell) and turned the ignition. All lights came on in the cockpit, including turn signals and ABS light, but otherwise the bike made no sound - no turn-over, no fuel pump activity, etc...

So, everyone, where do I start?

The fuel tank is cleeeeean, fortunately, so I will soon be checking the fuel pump. Fuel lines look fine - no gunk and no rot. I pulled the starter and cleaned it - bushings and starter motor were all in great shape, and continuity test was all good. The starter relay looks super clean - no corrosion on the contacts. Cable clusters and wiring look practically new, weirdly enough, so that suggests to me that it has weathered the storage fairly well.

I have only marginal mechanical skills, but I plan to enjoy this project. I know I have a lot to look at and a lot to do, but I'd like your thoughts on how to rank-order my approach to not only the ignition issue, but just getting the bike up and running.

Thanks, everyone.
Sean
Westminster, Maryland

seanhembree@gmail.com if you have contacts, links or suggestions outside of this forum.

I have just been given a 1994 K75 (12k miles) that had been sitting for six years following a low-speed accident that injured the riders far more than the bike. The bike has only a slightly dinged gas tank and lost the right-side turn signals and mirror. The rider, however, was spooked and the bike was relegated to the garage.

I put a new battery in it (what the hell) and turned the ignition. All lights came on in the cockpit, including turn signals and ABS light, but otherwise the bike made no sound - no turn-over, no fuel pump activity, etc...

So, everyone, where do I start?

The fuel tank is cleeeeean, fortunately, so I will soon be checking the fuel pump. Fuel lines look fine - no gunk and no rot. I pulled the starter and cleaned it - bushings and starter motor were all in great shape, and continuity test was all good. The starter relay looks super clean - no corrosion on the contacts. Cable clusters and wiring look practically new, weirdly enough, so that suggests to me that it has weathered the storage fairly well.

I have only marginal mechanical skills, but I plan to enjoy this project. I know I have a lot to look at and a lot to do, but I'd like your thoughts on how to rank-order my approach to not only the ignition issue, but just getting the bike up and running.

Thanks, everyone.
Sean
Westminster, Maryland

seanhembree@gmail.com if you have contacts, links or suggestions outside of this forum.

Sean... good luck with your project. I'm not much of a "wrencher" so I'll look forward to the responses from the more capable mechanics in this forum. But, please post some photos of the bike when you can.

Have fun!

I'm not sure why it wouldn't turn over. Depends on storage location and conditions. I would remove the T shaped cover on the right front of the engine and attempt to turn the engine with an 8mm allen socket. If it won't then it might be toast.

Assume you have a fuel pump problem - probably stuck.

Injectors may need cleaning.

If you got no fuel pump or clickity click try

I would sit on the bike, pull up the side stand and pull in the clutch while the key is all the way on. Then while your at it gently manipulate the shift lever. You could have dirty contacts in your clutch lever or neutral switch. That little exercise would all but eliminate a common issue.

Listen to Paul -

He'll get you running again. The emergency kill switch on the right handlebar?

You've recieved a great bike - enjoy the journey(s).

I'm not too far from you. If I ever get some free time (key phrase) I'd be happy to swing by and help you out.

Thank you for the ideas

Thanks everyone, and keep the ideas coming.

I'll update here as I problem-solve. I have had several GSs, and have one now, but I also bought a K75S from a friend years back (and subsequently sold to help with my wife's nursing school) and I absolutely loved the sound and feel of the bike. Loved it.

Paul, I will definitely give that a shot - and hopeful not return here with bad news. And Todd, I'll certainly keep you in mind - would love to have your eyes and ideas on the bike.

Back