• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Mount Advice

markaz

Maybe this should be in the Gear forum but it is airhead related.

I'd like to use my Garmin nuvi on my R100RS. I've found several mounts that clamp on the handlebar but since there isn't much handlebar real estate on the RS I don't know if they'd work very well...I'm not sure where they could attach. Anybody have any advice for a suitable mount for my bike? It doesn't have to be waterproof...I don't ride in the rain...but I'd prefer it didn't fall off. And it'd be nice if if was relatively inexpensive, say < $50.

If the brake fluid reservoir cap is held on with screws, (rather than the screw on type), I can make you a RAM ball mount holder for it.
The part I'd make would be free of charge, RAM balls and a clamp arm would cost less than $50 easily.

Would look similar to this GoPro mount I made...
IMG_2018Large.jpg

Or you could mount off of the clutch or brake lever perch like this...
IMG_2804Large.jpg

I have a zipper case with a ram ball on the back, it does a good job. No longer use it as I invested in a Montana 600 GPS that is weather proof and has a good ram mount. I will post a picture later this evening and if you want it I can post it to you. In fact I have two of these, bought in Europe.

For my Garmin zumo, I use a Ram mount off the very slight "rise" portion of the handlebar. It's not in the way of the cables, wires, or speedometer (even though it negates the use of the latter). I hard-wired an inline-fused connection along the frame under the tank to the battery.

Now, I just need a Ram mount for each motorcycle.. :thumb

I used to use a ram mount off the mirror mount on the perch on my 77RS.

It worked ok, but I wasn't all that pleased with it.

Then I came up with a simple solution - a piece of stainless sheet bent at a right angle, and attached via the three screws clamping the gauge pod. The Garmin mount is then screwed to that piece of stainless. It's simple and works great!

I used the ram mount pieces from the automoto kit. I bought the kit at gpscity.com. It worked out very well and bolted right on:

Attachments

• garman post_2.jpg
    garman post_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 78
My Solution

Thanks for all the replies.

I got one of these off eBay:

GPSMount.jpg

Sorry for the small picture size, it looks bigger on PhotoBucket.

I mounted it to the dashboard in a hole left by a PO:

IMG_1435.jpg

Here's how it looks with the GPS in place:

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

It blocks the voltmeter but works fine and was an easy inexpensive solution. I may try moving it to a spot that leaves the voltmeter viewable. I also need to rig some kind of a sunshade for the GPS, tho.

The holes in the right side of the dashboard were where the PO had mounted some fuse holders. I think I can find some plugs for them. The toggle switch is a four-way flasher mod, again from a PO. Jeez...looks like the bike needs a bath. I didn't realize it was that grungy until I looked at these pics.

Anyway, that's what I came up with. Sorry for the picture quality.

Back