• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DynaBeads and Flats

F

From MARS

There's DynaBeads in my tires, and the rear tire has a very slow leak from a pin-hole. I discovered this leak while on a trip. My first thought was to just plug it, but then I thought of the beads sticking to the glue on the plug and throwing the balance way off. Then, I considered removing the tire and patching it, but since I was on the road, finding some way to catch all those little beads and get them back in the tire after remounting lead me to the conclusion that I'd just monitor the pressure and use the 12v pump to keep it topped up. That proved satisfactory for this trip, but it does make me wonder how the beads and plugging would interact if the leak had required immediate attention.

Has anyone plugged a tire that had DynaBeads? How'd it go?

Tom

I use DynaBeads too. I've never plugged a flat yet but that won't stop me chiming in!

I used to drill a big hole in the old tire to recover the beads until someone on ADV suggested to just dismount the first side as though there were no beads in it and scoop them up from inside the tire with a thin card. I've done that twice now and have lost very few beads so you could try that.

Also:
The beads won't stick to themselves so not too much weight should collect on the glue. I'd try it. I hate leaky tires. If it doesn't balance then add more beads.

Has anyone plugged a tire that had DynaBeads? How'd it go?

Tom
Yup..........
But I used this to plug the nail hole........

http://www.dynaplug.com/
It got me ~350 miles before the tire wore out down the center.
When I took it off to install a new tire, the plug was still doing it's job no problem...& no evidence of any issue w/ the Dynabeads...........

Yup..........
But I used this to plug the nail hole........

http://www.dynaplug.com/
It got me ~350 miles before the tire wore out down the center.
When I took it off to install a new tire, the plug was still doing it's job no problem...& no evidence of any issue w/ the Dynabeads...........

I just placed my order. Thanks.

The hole is so small I'm not sure I'll be able to get the plug in, but I think I'll have a better chance with this system. I was losing only about 4lbs in 24hrs. There's nothing visible puncturing the tire. I'm wondering if it is possible that the tire has a small pinhole defect. It is right in the middle of one of the lugs on a fairly new Avon Gripster (roughly 1500 miles when the leak started). Its pretty hard to imagine something so small penetrating the rubber and steel bands.

Tom

If the tire is that new, I would not plug it. Remove the tire and place a patch on the inside of the tire. a plug (IMHO) is to get you home, or to the next town.

There are a few more weeks of riding before I start the winter maintenance. I'm thinking I'll just keep adding air and try to wear out the tire before then. There's about 3500 miles on it now. I'll be putting new rubber on for Spring, and then replace them again before starting for the National. If there's any life left in the tire, I'll patch it and keep it around as a spare.

Tom

When replacing a tire with beads already in it, demount it and use a shop vac with the toe portion of a ladies nylon stocking down the hose. This forms a sack to hold the beads.
If you have one of those narrow nosed "upholstery" attachments, putting the sock between it and the hose will keep the whole mess from getting sucked into the vac.
Beads will be easily and completely collected in the stocking.
I think my beads are in their third tire on the rear.

When replacing a tire with beads already in it, demount it and use a shop vac with the toe portion of a ladies nylon stocking down the hose. This forms a sack to hold the beads.
If you have one of those narrow nosed "upholstery" attachments, putting the sock between it and the hose will keep the whole mess from getting sucked into the vac.
Beads will be easily and completely collected in the stocking.
I think my beads are in their third tire on the rear.

Thanks for reminding me of this trick!

Tom

Back